Silver Lake Open Cowlitz County (March19th)

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
SmanOhood
Petty Officer

RE:Silver Lake Open Cowlitz County (March19th)

Post by SmanOhood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:12 pm

No fish were caught today either. If you've never been skunked there, then step up to the OPEN plate you toothy confused fisher. Starting to sound like Dez with all that talk.:safe:

kevinb wrote:I think this lake is still awesome. Obviously I can't brag to much but I can honestly say this is the only lake
that I have never been skunked on,granted,I havn't caught the biggest bass by any means here but never once left without catching something. I hope whatever issues can be fixed. One thing this lake doesn't get to much mention is the crappie. There are some serious slabs in here,white and black crappie and big numbers.
This lake has also produced the best family fishing memories,my son schools me in the panfish.
I know this lake isn't the same as it use to be in talking with other anglers that are much more familiar with it but still one of my favorites....maybe thats based more on good times....I don't know.

I will still say a 10lb bass will be caught tomorrow:fish:

BillMcMurry
Petty Officer

Post by BillMcMurry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Dang! Im glad I didnt join the club and fish both tourney's lol skunked 2 days in a row is worse that 1 j/k
gotten Bigger to the boat...... but I just cant get them in too beat 7lb 15oz...... one day ill just use the dang net lOl

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:58 pm

SmanOhood wrote:No fish were caught today either. If you've never been skunked there, then step up to the OPEN plate you toothy confused fisher. Starting to sound like Dez with all that talk.:safe:

kevinb wrote:I think this lake is still awesome. Obviously I can't brag to much but I can honestly say this is the only lake
that I have never been skunked on,granted,I havn't caught the biggest bass by any means here but never once left without catching something. I hope whatever issues can be fixed. One thing this lake doesn't get to much mention is the crappie. There are some serious slabs in here,white and black crappie and big numbers.
This lake has also produced the best family fishing memories,my son schools me in the panfish.
I know this lake isn't the same as it use to be in talking with other anglers that are much more familiar with it but still one of my favorites....maybe thats based more on good times....I don't know.

I think you took my comment as a snub on the tournament. I was talking about the fishing in general,such as crappie,bass and even carp.
But I thank you for your valued opinion.It certainly made me laugh.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:17 pm

tnj8222 wrote:Silver lake is a great lake. I will be back many times this year for the morning crank bait bite. If you say its a bad lake you just don't kno

Although I did get skunked along with everybody else and ruined my prop I still love the lake.

That sucks about the prop, did you end up even getting bit? I think we only got bit 3 times

At least, if I am correct your and your son had quite the stash goin from the raffle right? haha

But this guy is right, (In my opinion)

I have been fishing it for a few years now, I spent almost a year on it without catching a bass over 2 lbs.

I honestly think it was due to lack of equip. and knowledge, but its a weird lake to learn.

But still, for the tourney we all fished a lake for largies that started out at 37-38 then got up to 45-48

Those fish see changes in temps that fluctuate between 5-15 degrees everyday. plus the wind came in and from my experience, the wind pounding the shore/structure really shuts them down.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Yeah we scored pretty good in the raffle. More than I paid in thats for sure. The wind did suck blowing from all directions. It couldnt help with the water so high either. I usually atleast get a short fish, I bet if I just went crappie fishing I could have got a 12" lm and cashed a check and got big fish lol.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Oh I saw haha

The wind sucks on the lake, I think it just turns the switch right off...

But yeah we found water at 47-48 and the smaller baitfish were surfacing and we started gettin excited lol

At least we all went down together:-({|= it still blows my mind that no one brought a fish back...

The lake is still in winter phase though, no lillies...

You can just tell its late by lookin at my avatar, that fish was caught on March 18th and im wearing shorts!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillMcMurry
Petty Officer

Post by BillMcMurry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:12 am

I still love the lake thou, once it warms up ill be back, pitchin to every nook and cranny!!!!!!!!
gotten Bigger to the boat...... but I just cant get them in too beat 7lb 15oz...... one day ill just use the dang net lOl

Ocktane
Warrant Officer

Post by Ocktane » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Yeah that was rough on Saturday! Silver Lake will remain a major obsession in my mind (haven't caught a bass there yet). We all got a lot of flippin and pitchin practice though, haha! Wish Ryan and I could have another shot at it at the April open but it looks like the Navy has other plans for me in mind! Japan here I come!... blah. Best of luck to all of you who go for round 2 in a couple weeks!
"I believe that hard work really makes a man, but everyone should wet a line, every now and then." -Eric Church

midnghtshdow
Petty Officer

Post by midnghtshdow » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Sorry to hear that guys. I was out there and chose not to enter the tourney cause I had no partner and did not want to pay that by my self. I ended up with one small 1 lb fish for the day. Caught while texting lol. I am so glad to hear stacie, is on the search for the lake health problem. Well guys I will be posting hear in a min, about our club open tourney in April please have a look.

Sean
Wherever there is water there must be a fish!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:24 pm

I have to agree Kev, We have never gone to this lake and come home skunked. No the biggest bas Ive ever caught but we catch them every time we are there. Will be down there this weekend to prove that again.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 pm

midnghtshdow wrote:Sorry to hear that guys. I was out there and chose not to enter the tourney cause I had no partner and did not want to pay that by my self. I ended up with one small 1 lb fish for the day. Caught while texting lol. I am so glad to hear stacie, is on the search for the lake health problem. Well guys I will be posting hear in a min, about our club open tourney in April please have a look.

Sean
not calling you a liar but that is really hard to believe. That makes you the only person to catch a bass that week. Not that day. That whole week and I talked to every boat I came accross not in tourny.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:56 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
midnghtshdow wrote:Sorry to hear that guys. I was out there and chose not to enter the tourney cause I had no partner and did not want to pay that by my self. I ended up with one small 1 lb fish for the day. Caught while texting lol. I am so glad to hear stacie, is on the search for the lake health problem. Well guys I will be posting hear in a min, about our club open tourney in April please have a look.

Sean
not calling you a liar but that is really hard to believe. That makes you the only person to catch a bass that week. Not that day. That whole week and I talked to every boat I came accross not in tourny.
I can understand that. If he was texting, then the lure was just sitting there for a minute or more. In the water conditions then that would be very logical. Had that happen years ago during a tourny on Potholes. Had the jig sitting there while I did some adjustment thingie to the boat or equipment, I forget what. Had a 3 lbdr online when I pulled it up. But then it was in early summer at THAT time. But it still worked.

You know what Bill Dance or somebody said years ago, "Let the jig sit on the bottom, light a cigarette, smoke it a bit, then check for a fish". Or something like that.
Last edited by Amx on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Amx wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:

Sean
I can understand that. If he was texting, then the lure was just sitting there for a minute or more. In the water conditions then that would be very logical. Had that happen years ago during a tourny on Potholes. Had the jig sitting there while I did some adjustment thingie to the boat or equipment, I forget what. Had a 3 lbdr online when I pulled it up. But then it was in early summer at THAT time. But it still worked.

You know what Bill Dance or somebody said years ago, "Let the jig sit on the bottom, light a cigarette, smoke it a bit, then check for a fish". Or something like that.
AMX that`s the first good laugh I`ve had all day. You crack me up.[thumbsup]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:17 pm

I try. :-"
Tom.

Interests: living

midnghtshdow
Petty Officer

Post by midnghtshdow » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 pm

Understood, on the whole believeing part. But I am not the one who controls the bass what happened was luck I guess. About all I can say. I know I have fished there a lot, and one time I had to let my bait sit over a min, and twitch it and bam. I even caught one I missed 20 min before it was pretty neat. I did try to repeat the process that day after catching that one and no go. But I was cold and windy so I left. I understand the dought no biggy.
Wherever there is water there must be a fish!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:29 am

midnghtshdow wrote:Understood, on the whole believeing part. But I am not the one who controls the bass what happened was luck I guess. About all I can say. I know I have fished there a lot, and one time I had to let my bait sit over a min, and twitch it and bam. I even caught one I missed 20 min before it was pretty neat. I did try to repeat the process that day after catching that one and no go. But I was cold and windy so I left. I understand the dought no biggy.
What's funny is if you did enter the tourny orob would have got a skunk to lol. Could have been money
Anthony