Bass'n Video input from all:

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tagwatson360
Commander

RE:Bass'n Video input from all:

Post by tagwatson360 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:14 pm

Dez,

I want to watch you, Mike and guest pitch jigs into thick cover, as well as skipping jigs under boat docks and overhangs. The audience wants to see spontaneous, hard hooksets; hammering back on some big largemouth and wrestling them to the boat.

While informative and well done, you have already done four videos on dropshotting. On top of that, reel-sets and playing fish in open water don't provide near the entertainment value as good old fashioned combat fishing. Be true to your Tennessee roots and teach us how to hang some big largemouth!!!!

Who else agrees???? I'll have my popcorn ready.....There are tons of lakes in Pierce, King, Thurston and Snohomish Counties that are phenomenal jig lakes.

Hook 'em hard,

Tag

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Yup, I'll agree on the jig video. I haven't jig fished in many years. I NEED to get back to it.

I also don't consider 1/8oz round head jigs with grubs as 'jig fishing'. To me that is 'grub fishing'. lol :-"

HEAVY cover real jig 1/2 oz and heavier - jig fishing. :)
Tom.

Interests: living

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Fishing in the jungle would be exciting. Maybe some froggy action.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:27 pm

[
I went to lk wash this past wkend and caught smallies allday in 40-46ft with 43degrees water temps, The last two wkends fishing lk goodwin i was getting them in 5-12ft with water temps around 44-46 ..
Every body of water is different and anglers have to know when to adjust properly . As for techniques , yes you are correct football heads / skirted jigs / carolina rigs seem to be the go baits ! [/quote]

Id agree dez thats what we found. And i think tags idea about a jig fishing video is great.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:46 pm

BassDood wrote:How about fishing a new smaller lake. How one would approach it early..where on the lake and why.. techniques/baits and why. Lots of lakes opening up soon.
I`d agree with BassDood. Alot of us weekend guys or every other weekend like myself fish smaller lakes. Post spawn upper 40`s water temp.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 pm

I think a cool idea for a video would be to choose a lake here soon and go fishing prespawn.
Fish the same lake during spawn then head back again postspawn and put it in one video.

It would be cool to hear and see what you guys do on the same body of water at diff times in the year, and it might show how fish and cover change throughout the year as well.

:albino:

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 pm

I think small lakes are simple for prespawn. Pitch a jig around the whole lake a few times. When it warms up a frog in the thick.

I like what tag said but on big lakes only. Finding big fish in heavy cover, the hows and the whys. Where to start, and adapting to changing conditions.

Like the videos so far.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:20 pm

tnj8222 wrote:I think small lakes are simple for prespawn. Pitch a jig around the whole lake a few times. When it warms up a frog in the thick.
Easy for you to say,you havn't fished with me!:clown:
Seriously,jigs are good to cover as well since I lack any real know how on that subject. I got the spinnerbaits and crankbaits down fairly well but everything else is pretty foreign. Whatever you guys decide to focus on,I will learn something new and apply it to my fishing.

If you want more interest,I'd suggest explosives and girls in bikinis somewhere featured in the bass video

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Fish a high pressured body of water for LMB & SMB. With spoons. Showing the colors used and size.

Jig fishing?:-$ Who dose that anymore?:-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:30 am

tnj8222 wrote:I think small lakes are simple for prespawn. Pitch a jig around the whole lake a few times. When it warms up a frog in the thick.

I like what tag said but on big lakes only. Finding big fish in heavy cover, the hows and the whys. Where to start, and adapting to changing conditions.

Like the videos so far.
Anthony, my man. I have to disagree pretty strongly with your post. Do you think going around the perimeter of a "small" lake and pitching a jig ensures prespawn success??? I believe you are horribly mistaken, my friend.

Typically, in my experience, a 250 acre lake has roughly the same percentage of productive and unproductive water as a 25,000 acre lake. The population is all relative. Sure, your search time can be cut down somewhat if you are efficient at eliminating water, but you are still looking for the same types of areas in the prespawn. A bass doesn't know the exact acreage of the body of water it lives in. A bass reacts and adapts to changing conditions and seeks what every bass seeks: food, cover and oxygen. You still have to select the best jig for the given scenario and present it properly to the right cover to get bit. In your opinion, what is the acreage at which a lake converts from small to medium to large? Just curious to get some perspective.

The larger lakes have maps available which can narrow down your search quickly once you understand what to look for. For example, I've had great jig bites on Lake Washington, Lake Sammamish and Banks Lake. I didn't feel it took me any longer to find these fish than on a lake like Black Lake. It just takes much longer to run from Point A to Point B. For educational purposes, a 150 acre lake could represent a large bay on a bigger lake, so the viewer still learns a great deal from the fish finding and fish catching process.

Another argument is your post assumes that (A) fishing a jig properly is "simple" and (B) that pitching a jig is the magic answer to the prespawn puzzle. Both couldn't be further from the truth. If this were the case, everyone that fished a jig in the Spring would be roping 6, 7 and 8+ pound fish consistently which I don't observe. Is the jig a great prespawn lure? Absolutely, one of if not the best. However, it is arguably the lure that takes the longest to learn to fish correctly and efficiently as well as be successful with on a regular basis.

Go to Chambers Lake in Thurston County (116 acres) or Steilacoom Lake (300 acres) in Pierce County for the next few weekends. Go smash a few 6-8 pounders on a jig and prove to us how simple jig fishing is on a small lake. They live there, plenty of them. Trust me, I'll be the first to give you props...but I think you'll agree it's just not that easy.

Please know this post is just for argument's sake. I have to play devil's advocate when you identify a bass fishing technique that can take years to master as simple. I've fished with gentlemen that have been bass fishing for 20+ years that are still intimidated by the technique, and have yet to experience any consistent success. All the more reason to offer a great educational video. I think everyone could benefit regardless of the lake size where it is being showcased.

Perhaps I am way off base but that is my opinion. Thoughts???

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:06 am

[quote="tagwatson360"]Dez,

I want to watch you, Mike and guest pitch jigs into thick cover, as well as skipping jigs under boat docks and overhangs. The audience wants to see spontaneous, hard hooksets]

I concur,..seeing you guys punchin through some thick salad and some serious hooksets with 50lb Braid,..yea man!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:14 am

I'd also like to see you guys chuckin some Swimbaits like kevinb and Bentrod said,..from 4" up to 8",..especially with some Top~Water Baits so we can watch some serious explosions!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:34 am

I want to watch you, Mike and guest pitch jigs into thick cover, as well as skipping jigs under boat docks and overhangs. The audience wants to see spontaneous, hard hooksets]

+1
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:23 am

I totally down for fishing thick cover with jigs & frogs and yessss i agree that would be some awesome video footage ! I can already tell you guys that Potholes would be perfect the venue to pull this off later this spring .
We would have to do some planning to pull this off based on our work shedule but its very possible IMO !! Im glad that you guys are being honest and providing some good suggestion ,I know that it will make the next video that much more exciting to watch ..

Thanks guys , keep it coming ! every suggestion counts !!! :salut:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:52 am

ok taggy , You got me really excited this morning after reading this , so i made a few calls to some good friends of ours that is on board with putting down some hardcore combat style jig/frog (TN STYLE)bass'n early this summer so stay tuned in for that (exciting stuff, loaded with surprizes for the viewing audience ) :cheers:

We also will still plan to doing some footage on a smaller lake for some pre spawn / spawning smallies & lmb .. Its gonna be a fun year for sure , im ready to get it done !!

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:58 am

Excellent, Dez. Can't wait!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:28 am

tagwatson360 wrote:

Like the videos so far.
Anthony, my man. I have to disagree pretty strongly with your post. Do you think going around the perimeter of a "small" lake and pitching a jig ensures prespawn success??? I believe you are horribly mistaken, my friend.

Typically, in my experience, a 250 acre lake has roughly the same percentage of productive and unproductive water as a 25,000 acre lake. The population is all relative. Sure, your search time can be cut down somewhat if you are efficient at eliminating water, but you are still looking for the same types of areas in the prespawn. A bass doesn't know the exact acreage of the body of water it lives in. A bass reacts and adapts to changing conditions and seeks what every bass seeks: food, cover and oxygen. You still have to select the best jig for the given scenario and present it properly to the right cover to get bit. In your opinion, what is the acreage at which a lake converts from small to medium to large? Just curious to get some perspective.

The larger lakes have maps available which can narrow down your search quickly once you understand what to look for. For example, I've had great jig bites on Lake Washington, Lake Sammamish and Banks Lake. I didn't feel it took me any longer to find these fish than on a lake like Black Lake. It just takes much longer to run from Point A to Point B. For educational purposes, a 150 acre lake could represent a large bay on a bigger lake, so the viewer still learns a great deal from the fish finding and fish catching process.

Another argument is your post assumes that (A) fishing a jig properly is "simple" and (B) that pitching a jig is the magic answer to the prespawn puzzle. Both couldn't be further from the truth. If this were the case, everyone that fished a jig in the Spring would be roping 6, 7 and 8+ pound fish consistently which I don't observe. Is the jig a great prespawn lure? Absolutely, one of if not the best. However, it is arguably the lure that takes the longest to learn to fish correctly and efficiently as well as be successful with on a regular basis.

Go to Chambers Lake in Thurston County (116 acres) or Steilacoom Lake (300 acres) in Pierce County for the next few weekends. Go smash a few 6-8 pounders on a jig and prove to us how simple jig fishing is on a small lake. They live there, plenty of them. Trust me, I'll be the first to give you props...but I think you'll agree it's just not that easy.

Please know this post is just for argument's sake. I have to play devil's advocate when you identify a bass fishing technique that can take years to master as simple. I've fished with gentlemen that have been bass fishing for 20+ years that are still intimidated by the technique, and have yet to experience any consistent success. All the more reason to offer a great educational video. I think everyone could benefit regardless of the lake size where it is being showcased.

lol small to you is 100 acres. I was talking more like trout lake at 18 acres im sure you could go there and get a bigger one than me. We all know your one of the best sticks around here way to flex though lol jk.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

BillMcMurry
Petty Officer

Post by BillMcMurry » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 pm

With everything said....... Potholes baby!!!!!!
gotten Bigger to the boat...... but I just cant get them in too beat 7lb 15oz...... one day ill just use the dang net lOl

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:11 pm

BillMcMurry wrote:With everything said....... Potholes baby!!!!!!

Thats the game plan thus far ! you guys are in for a awesome surprize , im not gonna ruin it but lets just say that this video will be the best bass video we have ever put on !! stay tuned :-#

Btw Bill , welcome to the site , Glad your a member , now lets see some fish reports and pic bro !! :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:27 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
tagwatson360 wrote:

Like the videos so far.

lol small to you is 100 acres. I was talking more like trout lake at 18 acres im sure you could go there and get a bigger one than me. We all know your one of the best sticks around here way to flex though lol jk.
Anthony, I think you know me well enough to know that I would never try to "flex". I don't profess to know everything. As a matter of fact, I know I have a tremendous amount to learn. I have spent very little time on the water in recent years and have a lot to brush up on. I just wanted to argue the notion of jig fishing being simple. I must admit that 18 acres is pretty small. Sounds fun. When are we going????