Pinks

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
scott080379
Commodore

RE:Pinks

Post by scott080379 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:10 am

they all change at diffrent points, some will still be chrome with sea lice and others will start to change and slim.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:19 am

When is the time of year to hit Dash Point pier and how crowded is it?

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 am

reigndawgs wrote:When is the time of year to hit Dash Point pier and how crowded is it?
middle of july is when they usually start to show in numbers, usually peaking in the middle of august. it's not as crowded as spokane st. but like anyplace with good access to pinks it gets a lot of people. the plus side is dash pt has a small parking lot that keeps it from being a nightmare.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:47 am

You will catch chromers all the way up into the sky, scott is right about the coloration timing. Some fish shoot straight upriver in a matter of hours some will linger around in the estuary for several weeks, also you will catch some in the salt that have already started to change as well. Just pick and chose if you plan to keep, I usually keep enough hens to get me eggs for the year.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

kcc
Warrant Officer

Post by kcc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Dash Point Pier is a zoo during pink season. It is wall to wall people, fish are flying over head, and the seals are hungry! I like fishing at browns point better.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:43 pm

There is good and plentiful beach access all through the central sound, if you like less company go to the beach!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Matt wrote:There is good and plentiful beach access all through the central sound, if you like less company go to the beach!
No! Actually the Puget Sound beaches are TERRIBLE places to fish from. Everybody to the Piers!:cheers:

:-" :-" :-"
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:43 pm

I did real well on Pinks in 2009, out of my boat on the lower Snohomish tidewater. Just anchor up and jig pink jigs. If you dont have a boat, there were lots of folks fishing off the shore, particularly off of those fishing piers near Langus Park.

I grew up in Portland. Pinks are kind of like Shad, fun and easy to catch but what do you do with the things? I've tried lots of ways to cook Pinks and all were lousy. Even smoking the things is not great. With all the Chinooks and Silvers around, Pinks are C&R for me.

Whidbeyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Whidbeyfisherman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:35 pm

Bush Point on Whidbey Island is great when you catch the pinks first being funneled into the sound. Beach hop and you can follow them all the way down!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote: No! Actually the Puget Sound beaches are TERRIBLE places to fish from. Everybody to the Piers!:cheers:
Oh, uh yah, right... that's what I meant. :-" :-#

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Les Davis Pier is pretty good for salmon at certain times of the year.My grandfathe caught a 17 pound king off a buzzbomb there, and we have caught many pinks.Doesnt get that crowded either.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Toni wrote:I started out using buzz bombs but switched to a 1/4 oz jig I made which worked really well for me. I am not going back to buzz bombs.
I watched up to 5 pinks go after my jig, had it in their mouth, and I didn't get them. So I have changed my design.

I am going to use 1/2 oz for these reasons 1) sometimes I couldn't get it out to the fish or it didn't drop fast enough.
2) I am using a larger hook with a trailer.

Pink jigs

I am having a hard time waiting for the pink season!

I want to know which color pink do they like best?
Tony sent me a few of these pink jigs and they are excellent. I'm looking forward to trying them out this year - and who knows, we may just be giving some way come August to some lucky readers. :dj:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:33 pm

My view of Dash Point Pier: On the side that the pinks come in on it is shoulder to shoulder people. Fish do fly through the air and land on the dock. People cast without looking behind them and you may get snagged. I saw a lady snagged in the neck with a hook. There isn't much parking either.

Then there are the drunks who cast over everyone and threaten others with knives so the police are called. Also the WDFW sting operation working. Better watch your barbs and catch cards.

:cheers: Great fun.

There was this one older guy who was always helping out a kid with baitcasting birds-nest. Patiently unwinding all the knots. There was this one guy who bounced around all over the place hooking salmon. Once he caught one on a mini rig. You know, a small ice fishing rod and reel. He had to walk that fish all the way to shore. He and his girl friend showed me how to catch pinks from the Dash Point Dock. The people we were with were nice and we had a pot luck toward the end of the season. I remember it fondly.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:41 pm

I enjoy fishing for pinks. Ya they aren't big like kings or silvers, but on light gear they are an absolute terror. 2009 was a stellar year and the pinks funneled past Whidby for 2 months. The farther away from the river that you catch them the better quality they are. They are messy bleeders anywhere you catch them but they really don't turn into bloody slimers until they get a good sniff of their home waters. Humpy Hollow, Elliott & Commencement Bays, Skagit Bay. I stop keeping them when they get that light greenish cast to them. From my years of experience that transformation point is around Bush Point on Whidby. From Bush on both bucks & hens start to get softer bodies. The hens really start turning into egg wagons and the bucks into sperm tankers. All of these changes in their bodies reduce their eating quality. Non terminal area and river caught pinks are as good or better eating than winter steelhead. Nowhere near as good as summer steelhead, springers, or salt caught coho or kings. Your taste may vary especially if you only river fish! I also cure the pinks eggs. 1 skein = 1 nice bait for fishing kings under a float.
Life's short - fish hard!

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Toni wrote:My view of Dash Point Pier: On the side that the pinks come in on it is shoulder to shoulder people. Fish do fly through the air and land on the dock. People cast without looking behind them and you may get snagged. I saw a lady snagged in the neck with a hook. There isn't much parking either.

Then there are the drunks who cast over everyone and threaten others with knives so the police are called. Also the WDFW sting operation working. Better watch your barbs and catch cards.

:cheers: Great fun.

There was this one older guy who was always helping out a kid with baitcasting birds-nest. Patiently unwinding all the knots. There was this one guy who bounced around all over the place hooking salmon. Once he caught one on a mini rig. You know, a small ice fishing rod and reel. He had to walk that fish all the way to shore. He and his girl friend showed me how to catch pinks from the Dash Point Dock. The people we were with were nice and we had a pot luck toward the end of the season. I remember it fondly.
i got an even smaller pole for this year:cheers: .
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:44 am

Funny some of the things you see during humpy runs (and some not so funny).

Saw a guy on the riverbank last pink season, came down with his little girl about 5 years old. Had a cheapo kids rod/reel combo and a pink vibrex all still in the wrapper. Next thing you know he's bringing this pink in but doesn't know how to land it (and wearing jeans & tennis shoes doesn't want to get wet). I was walking by, so I tailed it for him and put it up on the bank and kept walking. A little later I look back and apparently the guy didn't have a knife because he had ripped the gills out of the fish and had his hand completely inside the fish reaching in and pulling guts out.#-o The little girl was watching him with this look like "You think I'M going to eat THAT?!" Then he dipped the fish in the water, filled the carcass like a pitcher, shoved his hand in and out a few times (apparently washing it) and they left.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 am

the little kiddie poles are the best to catch them on. A lot of fun

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:56 pm

I am thinkin im going to buy a really long crappie pole to use. 10 ft ultralight action with an ultralight real.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:26 pm

Matt wrote:I am thinkin im going to buy a really long crappie pole to use. 10 ft ultralight action with an ultralight real.

I have a Kokanee rod, maybe? I don't get to go in the boat out on the sound often. For the pier they wouldn't work that great.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:10 pm

I have a 7.5ft okuma kokanee rod I was planning to try out too, its a casting setup, I kinda want to get a spinning setup for easy of casting though. Out in the saltwater I use light downrigger rods, but I am planning to use the ultralights for catch and release up in the rivers.