Silver Lake

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dilbert
Captain

RE:Silver Lake

Post by dilbert » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 am

cavdad45 wrote:Thanks for the great map!!! It is very accurate as to where the bass hang out.

Anyone know how to print it? I am very computer illiterate.
Here's a PDF version for printing
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:38 pm

Thanks a bunch, dilbert!!! It came out great!

Jo
Petty Officer

Post by Jo » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 pm

great map thanks a bunch

joeskinnyboy
Angler

Post by joeskinnyboy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:05 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone had success fly fishing for bass here? Any notes on successful patterns?

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:38 pm

cavdad45 wrote: Silver Lake is by far one of my favorite places to fish. I first hit the lake in 1985 and would usually schedule 3 or 4 trips a year, until two years ago. Now I hit the lake 15-20 times a year. I have been fortunate in that Silver has always been good to me, even when I was first learning to bass fish.
However, when I read the fishing reports page, I see alot of people who came to the lake excited and left vowing never to fish it again. That seems odd based on my experiences.
I wonder if when people come for the first time they become overwhelmed. 3000 acres and every inch of it looks like it would hold a bass. And then reality hits, they don't line up to jump in the boat.
Anybody have any ideas on the subject?
i used silver lake as my learning lake.

:king:

the first few times ive been there, it didnt matter what we used. it was fish after fish after fish for a 12hr period. we havent been there this year, and hopefully will make a trip out there soon.
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:43 pm

Jo wrote:I have fished the lake 3 times on my 1st time I said I would never fish any where for bass again. On my 3rd time I wanted to say I would never fish Silver again. So much of a large lake that I think every cast will catch a fish.
One cast I let my pole down to tie my wife something new and Bam like that I had a fish. I have not caught one bass on top water in this lake? I have not had a strike on a frog? Silver lake seems like it needs to be fished very slowly down deep in the brush? That is frustrating to my whole family of top water throwers? I must find a home on the lake or make trimonthly retreats to fish.
hey jo

we threw topwater every chance we got last year and caught fish. we have also thrown frogs, gots strikes, but no takedowns or hookups.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:57 pm

CK14 wrote:...find the brush, find the fish.
CK14 wrote:i agree that the hold super tight to the cover... if you don't get your bait under/in the bushes you won't catch many fish at all.
i 2nd that

i can attest to those comments.

i havent tried fishing away from brush, though i may try it this time. only reason being, is that i want different results from what i have gotten in the past.

ive spoken to a few anglers who fish this lake often. they have stated that there should be a state record here. they have boated a few in the double digit area, so now its just a matter of time.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

Jo
Petty Officer

Post by Jo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:02 pm

Hey T Dot I have spit leeking out my mouth "double digit bass" I plan on fishing this lake on the 11th or 12th of next month does that sound like a good time for bass? I'll be taking my 6 yr old and trying the canals? Any advice for a fisherman with a bad case of bass blues?

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:32 am

YES!! october is one of the best times to fish silver. the crappie and bluegill stack up big time in those canals as well, great (and easy) action fro you and your kids. pitch plastics & jigs under bushes and lillys, sometimes the rocks are good around the island as well.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:41 am

Be careful around those rocks, however. It is very shallow and the rocks extend quite a way from the shoreline. Keep the pushpole handy to avoid damage to your motors and props.

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:58 pm

Jo wrote:Hey T Dot I have spit leeking out my mouth "double digit bass" I plan on fishing this lake on the 11th or 12th of next month does that sound like a good time for bass? I'll be taking my 6 yr old and trying the canals? Any advice for a fisherman with a bad case of bass blues?
apparently they track down different double digit bass every year. so there are a few double digit bass in the lake.

black and blue plastics are a well known tip thrown around silver amoung the bass anglers. there is a good amount of bass in this lake as well as other species. since you are going to be fishing with your child, might i suggest worm and bobber. you should also try a grub tipped with a worm as well. growing up, this is all i used. it helped as i could bait my own hooks. gl

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

Jo
Petty Officer

Post by Jo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:52 pm

black and blue plastics are a well known tip thrown around silver amoung the bass anglers. there is a good amount of bass in this lake as well as other species. since you are going to be fishing with your child, might i suggest worm and bobber. you should also try a grub tipped with a worm as well. growing up, this is all i used. it helped as i could bait my own hooks. gl[/quote]

Thanks for all the tips, my 6 year old has caught the plug bug, he caught on to my giving him a worm and bobber while I toss jigs and plugs all day. He catches fish with worms but he loves the casting and the idea that if I put this plastic looking crawdad on it will catch a gaint bass and if it doesn't I'll get my dad to put another 40 or 50 baits on after a couple casts.
Does Skeeters have any boats for rent?

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:42 pm

Jo wrote:

Thanks for all the tips, my 6 year old has caught the plug bug, he caught on to my giving him a worm and bobber while I toss jigs and plugs all day. He catches fish with worms but he loves the casting and the idea that if I put this plastic looking crawdad on it will catch a gaint bass and if it doesn't I'll get my dad to put another 40 or 50 baits on after a couple casts.
Skeeters was closed last Friday for some reason, I don't know if its for the season or what the deal is. The only rentals on the lake that I saw open was at Silver Lake Motel and Resort. They charge $11/hr or $55/day. Be careful, some of their boats get wet, so check it over well before going out or your feet will get all pruned up in a couple hours.

My five-year old likes to throw lures, too. I usually tie on a spinnerbait until she gets tired of winding it, then we try a frog. If she still doesn't get bit, we go to a weightless nightcrawler rigged Texas-style and eventually she wears down and goes back to a bobber. I guess she switches baits as much as her dad.

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:41 am

Jo wrote:Thanks for all the tips, my 6 year old has caught the plug bug, he caught on to my giving him a worm and bobber while I toss jigs and plugs all day. He catches fish with worms but he loves the casting and the idea that if I put this plastic looking crawdad on it will catch a gaint bass and if it doesn't I'll get my dad to put another 40 or 50 baits on after a couple casts.
i do not have any experience with skeeters, but might want to check out

http://www.silverlake-resort.com/

try throwing a search bait like a spinnerbait around your sons lure. my dad always did this, and i didnt know why. now that i think about it, he always lured the fish to my bait. which is why i always left with good fish. thanks dad.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:59 am

That's what Gramps did for my brother and I also. Just lured them to our baits. Panfish would follow a spinnerbait or rattling lure and the fishing for us would pick up. Then my brother or I would even catch a small bass from time to time.

Jo
Petty Officer

Post by Jo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:04 pm

thanks again you guys are great, I have always rented from the Silver Lk resort just wanted to check another place. The boats are great that is if you have rented from Erics at Kapowsen, LOL but that is a stumpy lake. I
think I will camp at the resortand fish at 0800 till 7pm. You guys have given me much hope my son is even looking forward to some sun fishing.

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:33 pm

Cavdad, I think you are talking about Streeter's resort. Although I do like Skeeter's better. Ya think we can get them to change it to that? J/K ya.
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:40 am

skeeter bassin wrote:Cavdad, I think you are talking about Streeter's resort. Although I do like Skeeter's better. Ya think we can get them to change it to that? J/K ya.
Oops! My bad. I've been calling it that since I started fishing it in the early '80's. My mind thinks bassing, thus Skeeter's. But I guess we all know which marina I am referring. Skeeter's does sound better though, doesn't it?

Maybe it's a premonition of my bassing future.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.