Lake Coverage/scouting

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Graceclaw
Angler

Lake Coverage/scouting

Post by Graceclaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm

So I'm getting a float tube, have the neoprene and everything, and a nice medium-light action rod, but I'm pretty ignorant/lacking when it comes to the expertise to catch bass. I know how to catch crappie (and, I assume, bluegill?), but not really how to catch bass, what time of year, what lures, etc. Rainbows are pretty easy, I would imagine- just put on a rooster tail and cast/troll (lol) it, or attractant under a bobber. I'm not really looking for the really expensive stuff right now, just stuff that'll catch enough fish to give me a reasonable idea of where they are and when for a decent price. I'm looking to spend around maybe $20 on this stuff. I plan on fishing primarily Wildcat, Island, and Kitsap lakes, but possibly Tiger and Panther. I'll likely make a couple trips up to Leland Lake as well. I plan on fishing these primarily during the summer. I would appreciate some lures that will cover water and scout out spots for a decent price, so I can scope out possible spots (and then get better stuff).

Thanks
-Kyle

P.S: Feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate board- I didn't see any "overall" board, all specifics.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Lake Coverage/scouting

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:50 pm

There are a couple members that live over there that can help you a lot.
Tom.

Interests: living

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:53 pm

I use to fish tiger ALOT, caught tons of trout, but never once have seen a bass, or seen one caught. I know there in there by other members fishing reports tho, I think they have a low population in that lake. Not totally sure, but just my prediction.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Welcome to Washingtonlakes.com!

20$ isn't going to get you very far as far as fishing tackle goes, but if I had 20$ and was going to target bass and rainbows I would buy the following. Couple 20 packs of twirl tail 4-6" worms (usually .99$ for the cheapy ones), some split shot sinkers, weedless worm hooks, slip bobbers, bait holder hooks, swivels. That should put you right at about 20$ for bass just rig a worm hook for the bass and one of the twirl tail worms with a single splitshot about 12" above your worm. Fish in spring and early summer when they are spawning. For trout, use the slip bobbers and a combo or worms/marshmellows adjust your depth and find the fish.

Be mindful that fishing from a float tube can get quite cold, even when it is nice and warm outside.

Good luck.

Matt
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:54 pm

20 bucks wont get much... terminal tackle and some rubbers:safe: :safe:
fish on!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Graceclaw, Matt gave you some basic ideas, but I was going to say that you should look under the "Features" section of the website. Within this section you can click on features/stories. From there you will find lots of different articles written by members and other folks regarding just what you asked. Different bass baits and gear, trout , etc.

If by chance this feature is only available to Premium members,, not sure about that.... then I'd say that's a good reason to cough up a few bucks and get the walakes membership. Full access to a lot of special features.
btw... pick up a couple of dark colored 5" Senkos, and a few wacky rig O-rings. The simplest easy thing to throw if you ask me. I think they work great. Google that stuff if it sounds greek to you.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:52 pm

The articles are open to everyone, not just premium members. So are the lake videos.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:08 am

$20 wont even get you from lake to lake to fish.

Buy some gammy's 2/0,
1 pck of senko's
A smaller jig and trailers of some sort
A pck of 1/4 bullet weights maybe swivels (for a carolina rig)

That would be a good arsenal I would think?

Wait til March(ish) to fish

Go to the tackle swap in Lynnwood This coming Wed.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graceclaw
Angler

Post by Graceclaw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 pm

When I said $20, I meant on purely scouting lures. Not my entire arsenal. In a while, when I have enough money, I will indeed expand it, but I just need some basic stuff to scout out areas, not specialize. I think I have some stuff figured out, but I would also like to ask about hook size/selection. I have a lot of those 99 cent plastic worms (bought for bottomfishing in the salt), with twirl tails (I think 4" or 6"- not sure), and I was wondering if Gamakatsu Octopus hooks work, or if I need the extra-wides or offset shanks. I plan on being mostly a finesse fisherman- I have a spinning reel and a medium-light action rod. I'll probably do a lot of "creature" baiting and fishing with tubes. Thanks all for your advice, I don't mind if you keep it coming though ^^ Every little bit helps!

Can't wait til the water warms up so I can get broken in on this stuff :) I guess my eventually empty pocketbook will have you guys to thank. I say that because I thought that freshwater fishing in WA was a lie until I saw the reports and pics on this site. Now I'm already like $70 down and I haven't even caught a freshwater fish here in 7 years!

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:15 pm

For 20 bucks, I would toss a wacky rig senko at bassy looking areas
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Yeah as far as baits or lures go, though spendy, $6 on a pack of senkos in prespawn and even in postpawn will do the job of letting you know if fish are there most of the time get Gammy Skip gap

http://www.gamakatsu.com/new_products/new_skipgap.htm

This helps your bait skip across the water better if need be
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:07 am

For real. Senkos are awwesome. I would get a topwater plug too. they are so much fun when they just explode outta the blue with a big bass.

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 am

If you do decide to get some senkos, I'd recommend staying down in the 4-5inch range. If you don't know what senkos are, they are short for yamasenko. If using senkos I would also recommend using an ewg style hook because you'll need to have room for that hookset. Small bass down to 8 inches can still suck them in. I personally don't use senkos very often, although they do cast a mile haha. Their action and fall just aren't for me personally. I like a good zoom or similar type worm texas rigged weightless. Now if you are fishing in lily's and need to penetrate pockets I would say to switch from a wide gap hook to a straight shank. It will penetrate pockets easier with less surface area to catch with the light weight. I'm rambling, so I apologize. I should be sleeping right now hehe. Since you have one rod, I would say.. try to focus your lure selection around your line. If you are finessing with worms, I wouldn't go above 8lb test because it will effect the sink rate negatively. Then again, going that light may minimize your options. Fishing a search baits such as banging crankbaits against structure or 3/4oz spinnerbaits through vegetation, it could be risky. Also that smaller line will cause things such as spinnerbaits to sink faster than you may want. I hope someone else will chime in to clean up this mess of a post I made! /end ramble!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:35 am

Trust me, fish smaller than 8" will eat a senko.
Attachments
baby_Largemouth_with_Senko_cropped.jpg
baby_Largemouth_with_Senko_cropped.jpg (106.69 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 am

FYI,, just a reminder since a few of us have mentioned the "Wacky rigged O-rings." Here is a link:

http://www.guileyworm.com/images/o-rings.jpg

It's a great little ring that slips over your Senko worm. You never even place your hook into your Senko, only under the O-ring. This saves your Senkos from getting torn up.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Graceclaw wrote:When I said $20, I meant on purely scouting lures. Not my entire arsenal. In a while, when I have enough money, I will indeed expand it, but I just need some basic stuff to scout out areas, not specialize. I think I have some stuff figured out, but I would also like to ask about hook size/selection. I have a lot of those 99 cent plastic worms (bought for bottomfishing in the salt), with twirl tails (I think 4" or 6"- not sure), and I was wondering if Gamakatsu Octopus hooks work, or if I need the extra-wides or offset shanks. I plan on being mostly a finesse fisherman- I have a spinning reel and a medium-light action rod. I'll probably do a lot of "creature" baiting and fishing with tubes. Thanks all for your advice, I don't mind if you keep it coming though ^^ Every little bit helps!
Given the gear you already have, I would pick up some drop shot gear and shaky head gear. This would allow you to utilize the plastics you already have. For the drop shot gets some Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot Hooks. I usually keep the #4 & #2's in the tackle box. Also get some Quick Drop Drop Shot Weights. I would start with 1/4-3/8 oz. The rule of thumb is to use the lightest weight you can still feel bottom with. Do some research online about the drop shot rig especially with regards to how to tie the knot and what to do with the tag end of the line.

I would also get some shaky head jigs. With the money left over I would pickup a spinnerbait to use to search for the locations of the fish.
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

Graceclaw
Angler

Post by Graceclaw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm

I stopped by Outdoor Outfitters today (They have a horrible selection for the most part for freshwater fish, btw), and bought a pack of 5" Senkos, two packs of 6 barrel swivels, and a pack of 20 "triple threat" 2" grubs. Dunno why I got the grubs, figure they'll come in handy sometime for some kind of fish :P

I think I'm going to get the Berkley Trilene Big Game Green line, but I'm debating between 12# and 15# test. Since I have a spinning rig, I will probably be doing a decent amount (primarily) of finesse fishing with plastics and stuff.....and I still don't have any good hooks- might have to order those online. Outdoor Outfitters didn't have EQG hooks, just normal "hooks" and the normal saltwater stuff- siwashes, octopus, etc. I already know how to dropshot (Been doing it for a while w/bottomfish in the salt), but never bought the special hooks 'cause that would be a waste on sculpin, flounder, rockfish, or small ling cod haha.

Thanks for all the info so far, I'll be sure to post any reports, good or bad in the appropriate lakes :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Although a little pricey, I would pick up a floating minnow for those surface fish. You could go generic from cabelas or bass pro for half of the cost of a rapala and still get fish.

Also, be sure to submit fishing reports because that will enter you in our monthly prize drawings - you may get lucky and win some free gear! :cheers:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:56 pm

If you need any info on any of the lakes in Kitsap, Mason, and some Pierce county lakes, let me know. Baits, times, locations even. I've been bass fishing from a tube for 12 years and know a bit about the local waterways and I don't mind sharing. It would take too much to post on here. Feel free to pm me.

Jerry
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Amx wrote:Trust me, fish smaller than 8" will eat a senko.
Lol Amx, that pic always cracks me up. Last year I had a same sized largemouth latch onto tail of a big worm and I had to actually pull him off.