Lake Sammamish Fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Jimmy Jimsoks
Petty Officer

Lake Sammamish Fishing

Post by Jimmy Jimsoks » Sun May 06, 2007 3:02 pm

My friend and I want to learn some good tips for fishing in lake sammamish since we live fairly close. We have a 12 foot aluminum boat with a 15 hp motor and minn kota, fishfinder, the works, and are mostly interested in fishing for cutthroat/rainbow trout and large/small mouth bass. If anyone has any good tips for bass fishing and trout fishing for this lake we would appreciate it if they could share them with us. We could use some good help!

Large or Small mouth Bass:
What kind of lures?: crankbaits, soft plastics, spinner baits..etc., time of day, weather, time of year, water temperature-- it was 54-56 degrees when we went out this morning/early afternoon, habitat: maybe some good spots for us rookie bassers? Anything else that helps!

We are very experienced trout fisherman, but we got skunked today and we wondered why :-k . We would like to know some good spots to troll for trout. These were our setups:
Pop gear and flashers with flatfish on the end tipped with a worm trolled at around medium depth.
--Does this sound ok or is there a better technique?????
P.S. We have no DRs. Could that make a big difference? Will get them soon tho!

We appreciate any help!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 06, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jimmy

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Lake Sammamish Fishing

Post by A9 » Sun May 06, 2007 6:23 pm

Yea we didn't do good today man..lets go next weekend when we figure out what to do..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Sun May 06, 2007 7:13 pm

I got skunked on Sammamish today too.. It happens to everyone. I thought the weather was perfect, but that shows you what I know.

Wasnt it nice out there today?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 06, 2007 9:56 pm

Yea it was nice. We were on the lake at 7:15 and off by 11:45...We did some trout and bass fishing, butgot nothing...

I figured we weren't gonna hit limits like any little planter lake, but I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one who got skunked cause I know I wasn't alone...

What sort of stuff/setup do you use for them out there tcb? This was our first time out there and we had no luck so we are looking for some pointers on what to throw out at them...

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun May 06, 2007 11:31 pm

Lake Samm can be tough. I certainly haven't figured it out and don't fish it that often (too big, too busy with skiers). But the trout are very nice quality when you catch them. I had limited success trolling with DR and various lures. I am interested in hitting it for bass this year and learnign the lake for bass fishing.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 06, 2007 11:45 pm

Mike: Is Lake Washington a better bet for trout then?
We got skunked for bass too...Probably needs a few more weeks for the largemouth to move up....

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Mon May 07, 2007 8:14 am

Mike,

Remember when we caught those nice trout when we were fishing for kings?

There are some nice trout in Sammamish but, like Lake Washington, Sammamish can be a tough trout fishery.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Mon May 07, 2007 3:57 pm

Yea...Lake Samm is impossible. I never go there if I can help it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 07, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon May 07, 2007 4:03 pm

I remember, bare hooks, right? Both lakes can be challenging and both can yield some prime quality fish. I'm no expert on either lake, but my sense is lake Washingotn is the better of the two for trout, but that's just me

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Mon May 07, 2007 8:41 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
What sort of stuff/setup do you use for them out there tcb? This was our first time out there and we had no luck so we are looking for some pointers on what to throw out at them...
Don't take this as gospel, but I typical just do the standard trout rigs trolling (wedding ring, etc). I have caught a smallie or two, using just a worm. :) But I try -everything-. The only thing I havent tried is a shaky-worm setup. Maybe this coming weekend.

I just look for the areas that seem to be bass type habitats and fish there (underwater structure). I fish around people's docks. I have never tried fishing the south end of the lake (by the state launch) but I saw four or five boats just outside of the no-wake zone trolling. Maybe I'll try that soon too. I have been debating on getting a topo map.. anyone know where to get those at decent prices?

Anyone else have any not-so-secret spots? It's a big lake and I've only been going out there since last spring.

I have had one or two people ask me not to fish around their docks, and I try to be nice and move on if that happens. The largest trout I have cuaght out of there (22") was caught right in front of the house with the helicopter pad.

tim

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:49 pm

You can get good topo maps off this site...They are free.

Personally, I would keep fishing around their docks even if they said something to me. Thats just me. Not to be a complete jerk, but its fishing water, and as long as you don't bonk your lure all over their dock or boat, you should have every right to keep going with your fishing around there. If they don't like guys fishing their dock, then they should move off the lake.. It's fishing water, and its completely ok for you to fish there...

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Tue May 08, 2007 11:49 am

Right now is a good time to work the points for smallmouths. They won't be under the docks in good numbers until after the spawn. Early to mid June is a good time to start working the docks early in the morning. Just check out a map and find the points that are close to a shallow bay or flat. The bass are stacked up on those points right now. Once they come in to spawn they'll be on the flats and in the back of the coves near those points. There's a good point midway down the lake on your left hand side. Try working that point with plastics then slide up into the bay next to it and work the wood and rocks in there. There are a lot of areas like that around lake. Once you work that area well you'll know what to look for.
Need to know more about crappie in Washington? Washington Crappie Page

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue May 08, 2007 12:48 pm

We don't have a topo map (unfortunately) but I recall we once many years ago had a link to a realator of all things that had a topo. How they got it I'll never know. Good luck googling that one!

Slabking, are you talking about the point about 1/8 mile north of the state park beach on the west side of the lake? Rocky/gravel bottom I believe. As I recall from my trolling days it's deep water and then shallows up as you discribe. Do you toss jigs for those smallies?

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Tue May 08, 2007 4:02 pm

Hey Mike, I just took a look at google map. They have a park listed there as Weowna Park. That point is right in the middle of that park area. Jigs and carolina rigged plastics work great over there.

Hey Jimmy, I'll be out there this Saturday from about 7am-2pm. If you spot a 18' yellow MonArk bassboat stop by and I'll try to point you guys to some good places to check. Wish I could help you with the trout too but I always catch them by accident while bass fishing. The cuts love grubs though Image.
Need to know more about crappie in Washington? Washington Crappie Page

Eddie L
Warrant Officer

Post by Eddie L » Tue May 08, 2007 9:23 pm

Maybe this may help......

Lake Sammamish
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 08, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks eddie. I already printed one of those off right before we went. We did use it alot, but it didn't get us any fish...But I'm sure its reliable cause I've heard some of those spots mentioned before...

Jimmy Jimsoks
Petty Officer

Post by Jimmy Jimsoks » Tue May 08, 2007 11:37 pm

Thanks Slabking!

Thats the best and most specific help we have recieved yet. We are more interested in bassing right now anyway... I don't think we will be at lake sammamish this saturday. Most likely Lake Washington for sure.
-Jimmy