Silver Lake Tiger Muskies

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raffensg64
Commander

Silver Lake Tiger Muskies

Post by raffensg64 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Here is one of the two tiger muskies I've seen Silver give up the last couple days. It could be three, however I lost mine three days ago! Pictured is Motor1 with a 39" tiger he caught on a 30" ultralight jigging rod with 4# test. We were perch fishing. Talk about slow and tedious! It took us nearly 30 minutes to get him on the ice. He took Motor's Kastmaster about halfway down as it fluttered toward the bottom. What a hoot! After two days of seeing tigers, I took a pair of heavy leather gloves, which came in handy once we got his head up the hole. They sure are toothy critters!
Attachments
Den_Musky.jpg
Den_Musky.jpg (131.48 KiB) Viewed 5016 times

Bill G
Petty Officer

RE:Silver Lake Tiger Muskies

Post by Bill G » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Congrats to you guys, you caught the first Tigers of the year and through the ice at that. Smart man to use gloves, they really do have some sharp teeth don't they. Bill caught one in Lake Tapps on
ultralight gear once and it took quite awhile for him to get him in too. How many perch did you guys catch?
Rosann G
I'm not in the toilet yet, but I'm definitely standing on the rim.

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Nice fish, great picture. How the heck did he get him back through the hole in the ice to release him?
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

Motor1
Angler

Post by Motor1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:03 pm

No problem in getting him back into the hole. Just pointed him in the hole and off he went

afk
Petty Officer

Post by afk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Great picture. Thanks.

Motor1
Angler

Post by Motor1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:06 pm

We caught a few perch but the bite went absolutely dead after fighting that Muskie. I'm sure his swimming below the hole scattered the perch. If I were a little perch, I would scatter to if I saw that guy swimming around.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:24 am

Wow! That's incredible for Washington!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:26 pm

My buddy caught and I netted that EXACT same fish the year before last. It was 35" back then. Even with the broke back. Really. Caught him on a perch colored rubber swimbait.We were South of the point with the light house on it. We thought it was one of those fish that gets dropped while being handled. You can tell that fish should be bigger by the size of its head. You caught him on a small perch bait? I bet that bait had a perch on it. Good job man! Then you caught two..thats awesome! Todd
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Perch eyes only for bait, muskiehunter, although I suspect a fluttering Kastmaster has something to do with it! Using whole perch to catch perch would be a tough go. It may be the same fish, however, the two I saw caught both had that broken back look. One measured 39", the other 41". Leads me to believe there could be a lot of screwed up muskies in there!

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:31 am

ok then..i didnt read that both your fish had busted up backs. My mistake. What i meant was maybe you had a perch or another fish on when the musky hit you. Using perch for bait is illegal. And its not really surprising how many Tigers are messed up. A few of them are deformed a little while in the hatchery and released that way. But then alot folks who do not know what they are or think that they should not even be in their lake mishandle them by mistake. Oh well. Congrats on those 2 fish you did catch..Todd
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

fowl_language
Angler

Post by fowl_language » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:30 pm

I've caught some hogs out of silver, nothing through the ice though, we got a 47" last year in the summer, I think I might try to do some vertical jigging out there tomorrow if they are surfing around the bay in the last few days, sure would be fun to hook into one on the heavy ice rod with 10 lb on. Great job again guys very impressive.