Rufus Woods..Want to know Everbodys opinion on Bait Use!!!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
coretron22
Warrant Officer

RE:Rufus Woods..Want to know Everbodys opinion on Bait Use!!!!

Post by coretron22 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:26 am

Bodofish wrote:PS: Selective gear would rule out running the CustomWeld...... Careful what you ask for......
...why is that?

I haven't fished Rufus yet, but I do fish Ross Lake yearly, which is selective gear only. No walleye or bass though, so it works well when the rules are folllowed. I see violators every year though...but I haven't done my part in turning them in. That will change from now on.

So many people have different views of what fishing is all about...the beer can float fishing technique is revolting (but I'm sure is hilarious if you are stinking drunk and uneducated), there's plenty of that crap on youtube though, so it seems to be prevalent. I'd guess many of the problem fishermen are not even licensed...but I dunno.
I do think part of the deal at Rufus is that some people go there to hunt for giants, and when the one they catch doesn't meet their expectations...snip...problem dealt with.

I hadn't considered the guys fishing for other species, because at Ross the only gamefish are Trout. Good points being raised...

Lake Chelan Adventures
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Lake Chelan Adventures » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 am

Bodofish wrote:PS: Selective gear would rule out running the CustomWeld...... Careful what you ask for......
I am not aware of a boat restriction along with Selective Gear Rules...Especially on Rufus Woods.
Thanks I will check in on that!!!!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 am

I believe what Bodo was eluding to is that the general rule regarding selective gear fishing used to come with a "no internal combustion motors allowed" phrase. It looks like that was phased out this year and is now dealt with on an individual lake/river basis. If you go down that path it is something to be on the lookout for sure.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 pm

coretron22 wrote:
...why is that?

I haven't fished Rufus yet, but I do fish Ross Lake yearly, which is selective gear only. No walleye or bass though, so it works well when the rules are folllowed. I see violators every year though...but I haven't done my part in turning them in. That will change from now on.

So many people have different views of what fishing is all about...the beer can float fishing technique is revolting (but I'm sure is hilarious if you are stinking drunk and uneducated), there's plenty of that crap on youtube though, so it seems to be prevalent. I'd guess many of the problem fishermen are not even licensed...but I dunno.
I do think part of the deal at Rufus is that some people go there to hunt for giants, and when the one they catch doesn't meet their expectations...snip...problem dealt with.

I hadn't considered the guys fishing for other species, because at Ross the only gamefish are Trout. Good points being raised...
Just checked the regs again and it appears they've changed again. Right at the top of the Selective Gear rules used to be no motors. I guess I need to get them out and read cover to cover a little more often.....
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:44 pm

Malottguy wrote: ....................If you see someone breaking the law write down plate numbers, descriptions and if possible pictures. If some pressure is put on the law breakers they eventually do move on to another place. If you see someone who doesn't know the law help them by telling them politely what they have done wrong. If the argue then they are ignorant and probably know they have done wrong, so get the info and turn them in.

Final moral is we are all a family of fisherman(woman) and need to help each other become more responsible members of that family.
Call the enforcement people and talk to them. They will tell you, if you get an honest one, that the plate numbers and descriptions only work for when the officers drive down to look for them. That assumes that an officer will come soon. They must catch them in the act, and that means that you must get the information and call the officers. Because there is no cell phone connection on all but the lowest end of the lake, license plate numbers and descriptions are useless.

Next, the same enforcement people will tell you to NOT take pictures. This is CONFRONTATIONAL, and it can get you into an argument that could get you hurt, or killed. Time and again they have advised, YOU DO NOT TAKE PICTURES. So, plate numbers and descriptions are useless without an officer to look for them, and pictures, possible evidence, are not to be taken.

Now, what are we to do?

Be careful with confronting the poacher. If it is an honest mistake, then your help will be will received. Unfortunately, I am told by several of my ethnic friends that there is an underground fish market developing quickly. Many of the poachers know the rules, but either pretend not to, or simply feel they can get off. Some will do what they need to to avoid being caught. Not every culture had melted into our great melting pot, not everyone believes as the majority in the need for laws, and the need to obey them. Not every poacher getting fish for the "market" is ethnic. With this economy, people are doing what they need to do to get by.

We are facing a very difficult problem, one that, as bad as it is at RW, is growing fast in one direction while the budget available for enforcement is going the other direction.:shaking2:
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:46 pm

Lake Chelan Adventures wrote:
I am not aware of a boat restriction along with Selective Gear Rules...Especially on Rufus Woods.
Thanks I will check in on that!!!!
As part of the "Selective Rules", there is, or should I say was, indeed a restriction on motors using any fuel. Still, like at Coffee Pot, they can exempt that part of the rule.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Malottguy
Petty Officer

Post by Malottguy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 pm

Anglinarcher I agree that sometimes you will get people who are not receptive to being shown that they are doing wrong. As for not taking pictures I was told by a couple different officers and a game officer to do so if you can. The reason being in part is to show a history of the same people poaching, but yes don't do it when there is a chance of confrontation. So only do so if it safe. I am not saying put yourself in danger by any means.

It is for sure hard to stop things when they cannot be caught in the act. It is a frustrating thing to watch and this body of water isn't the only one that it happens on, just the one that it is happening to that I fish.

The underground fish market is indeed done by all ethnic groups and by people you wouldn't think would do it but also done more so by certain groups that do not even live here. One of the worse groups is from the Spokane area. It has been a way of life for them for decades or more even in their own county where they ruined their own fisheries by doing it.

To the original question about making it a selective gear lake, time will tell, but I will hold fast that to make it a better fishery and on a minimum keep it a good one as it is, is to all come together. Like I said we are a family of fisher people and change only comes to a good result when we all work together. We each have a passion for this lake, so lets all work it out together and I am sure we can come up with a solution that will make all the LEGAL fisher groups happy.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:38 am

[quote="Lake Chelan Adventures"]I have been fishing Rufus Woods for over 15 yrs now and I am very concerned on what I am seeing there now..My last outing to Rufus we Caught numerous 16 to 18 inch triploids that had been released from the Pens, that had Bait hooks that had been swallowed with the leaders trimmed off.[/quote)
It has been interesting to follow this thread and to read all the different responses. Although it is a "Major" concern, and infraction to see the over limits, the original question had to do with the releasing of "Bait Caught Fish", and the the numbers of dead fish from illegally released trout caught on Rufus Woods. Most likely anyone who has spent much time on the water at RW has noticed, at one time or another, the white decorations (dead trout) littering the bottom of the lake. In the summer months it is heartbreaking to cruise the shoreline below some of the "popular" fishing holes. In Most cases, The fisher people mentioned in the above posts are catching and keeping any and all fish they can. Please note I said in most cases. There will be exceptions. Over the years Cindy and I have been fishing the Mighty Rufus, We have noticed more infractions of High Grading being done by boaters. People of that ilk will anchor up over one of the productive spots and go to town. At pump # 3 we watched as a boat was anchored, and the three fishing persons would reel up the small trout and clip the leader at boatside, then retie and be back at it. The worst we saw was a couple of years ago at the lower pens. It was great fishing and there were 10-20 boats in the lower pens area. Some trolling, some drifting, and some plunking. Also there were bank fishermen. One of the boats was occupied by a couple of gamies, who were watching the action via binocs. The made several checks of different boats, but the one that stood out most was a full rigged out sled. There were 3 guys who were doing quite well, but was tossing trout back in left and right.After a while of the "catch and release" the agents pulled ovet to their boat, and had a long discussion with the occupants. I didn't notice if there were any tickes written or not, but after a bit the agents eased back to the other side of the river and continued to observe. The sled floated on out of the fishing area, and motored down to the area of the launch. after a short while they were back. Same tactics. After this went on for a while more, the agents once approached the boat, but this time one of the agents boarded them. Lots of arguing went on, and the boats drifted down lake, enjoying each others company for quite some time. The point I'm trying to make is this. We as a "Fishing family" have some bad eggs among "us". it isn't always the "Them" who are breaking the rules. Most of the infractions I've noticed on the water, has been by fishermen who know better, but just don't apply the law to them selves. The laws and regulations on the books now were designed to enhance the fisherie, but alas, the rules have to be followed to make them work. Even with new rule changes, we would see infractions continue, and most likely by the worst offenders. Am I against The proposed rule changes, No as we would adapt and continue to catch fish anyway, as bait hasn't been our mainstay for awhile. Am I for the proposed change, Again No, as it would hurt many law abiding fisherfolk who do a great job following the current rules. So am I straddling the fence. Yes, and believe me, it can get uncomfortable, because arguments for and against both have merit. Sorry for the ramble, but had to get it off my chest.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:36 am

Pretty much my rant too....
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Malottguy
Petty Officer

Post by Malottguy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Lewis great response and as you are on the water more than I can be from a boat I was happy to hear you say something. Yes there those amongst us that are as guilty as the underground fish market. It does come down to use helping each other.

Today I had the chance to a very cool game officer who gave me some pointers on the worst violators. He agreed with what I said write down license plate numbers and what you observe and if possible to take pictures SAFELY and do not confront anyone if you have any sort of bad feelings about the person(s). He himself said the word "high grading" and we talked at length about it. He basically said what we are all doing to try and curb it is what is needed and to call the State Patrol if at all possible when you see things happen, but we know this is a tall task when up river out of cell range. Also if you cannot call then save the information and email it an officer. He gave me his card so if anyone needs his email feel free to message me.

We can, as Blufin says, adapt if the rules change. I understand the concerns as well as anyone. I might not like it but as said I would adapt.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: Rufus Woods..Want to know Everbodys opinion on Bait Use!

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:38 pm

"RUFUS WOODS LAKE (Douglas/
Okanogan Co.)
CLOSED WATERS - from Grand Coulee Dam downstream to SR155 Bridge.
ALL SPECIES - chumming permitted.
Licensing Requirements - Douglas County shore (State license), on the water (either State or Tribal license
accepted), Reservation (Tribal permit required or either license accepted at a signed "Designated Fishing
Areas" (DFA) located and marked as such on the Colville Reservation shoreline).
TROUT Year-round No min. size. Daily limit 2. KOKANEE are included as part of the daily
TROUT limit. Only uninjured TROUT caught using artificial lures or flies
with single-point barbless hooks may be released.
Other Game Fish Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit.
STURGEON CLOSED

Hope you don't mind, resurected this one.
No, this should not be turned into a selective gear fishery.
Enforcement of existing regulations is what needs to happen here.
It is already illegal to release trout caught with bait, barb or treble hook.
"Only uninjured TROUT caught using artificial lures or flies with single-point barbless hooks may be released."
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:37 am

My favorite is no bait. I normally fish with a jig, dark maribou with a little flash no bobber. If it really gets tough I'll toss a worm but that's a last resort. Mark if you're going and you need a few, my offer still stands.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Bodofish wrote:My favorite is no bait. I normally fish with a jig, dark maribou with a little flash no bobber. If it really gets tough I'll toss a worm but that's a last resort. Mark if you're going and you need a few, my offer still stands.
Thanks again Bododfish! :salut: I'll certainly take you up on that when I'm ready to haul the boat to Rufus. For this next month, I'm definitely hitting some ice a couple weekends and I hope to hit that Chelan charter that is kickin butt on the MACS! Again, THANKS!
=D> [cool] [biggrin]
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Jipper
Petty Officer

Post by Jipper » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:00 am

I think bait is fine if people are responsible.