Summer Run Steelies !!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Summer Run Steelies !!!

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:58 pm

During the summer, im coming up to
Washington for a couple weeks and
am going to be doing some fishing.
Where should I fish for steelies during this time???
Cowlitz??
What about methods used????
Corky And Yarn???
Bobber & Jigs???
Thanks
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Gringo Pescador

RE:Summer Run Steelies !!!

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Hey Fish_bait,
If you can, narrow it down a bit.
Time frame (when during the summer)?
Where will you be and what is your travel range from there?
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:56 pm

First 3 weeks of June on the sky = don't miss it.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:01 pm

I'll be there in July. Between the the 14th and August 2nd.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:I'll be there in July. Between the the 14th and August 2nd.
Thats kinda late for alot of rivers. You might get lucky and get one on the cow. I got my last one in early july. Took a few weeks off and hit salmon rivers in august. The fishing is good up until around mid late june then it slows down again.
More fish please!

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:18 pm

flinginpooh wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:I'll be there in July. Between the the 14th and August 2nd.
Thats kinda late for alot of rivers. You might get lucky and get one on the cow. I got my last one in early july. Took a few weeks off and hit salmon rivers in august. The fishing is good up until around mid late june then it slows down again.
Thanks 'Pooh,

I'll see what I can do.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 pm

I only got 2 summer run in July outta reiter. It's a great time to get at sea run cutts or alpine lakes trout though.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:40 am

The Clackamas down in OR has a summer run
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:49 am

Not late at all #-o Just have to put in your time. I did well on Jigs and Spoons :cheers: . Hit me up when get back into town, Notellum River has your name on it. Just make sure you have your knots dialed in (Palomar). My son lost 4 pig Summers last year all due to his faulty knot tying skills. We will be mainly fishing bobber/jigs. :salut:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:02 am

jens wrote:
flinginpooh wrote:
Not late at all #-o . I banked 13 in July :-$ . All on Jigs and Spoons :cheers: . Hit me up when get back into town, Notellum River has your name on it. Just make sure you have your knots dialed in (Palomar). My son lost 4 pig Summers last year all due to his faulty knot tying skills. We will be mainly fishing bobber/jigs. :salut:

maybe his faulty knot tying skills come from his teacher? :-#

but there are lots of areas that you can pick up some summer runners at. Everyone has there river and jens killed them last year. I like to fish the Olympic rivers for everything but that is just me.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:37 am

Removed due to hurt butts. lol hahahaaha
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 am

I've only fished Barrier for Kings and Silvers, hadn't had any luck for Steelies there. That's probably why you only got 1 #-o . Not a lot of fish, so getting 1 is excellent work. :cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Darn it Jens. I'm still catching winter brats.Stop pushing the clock faster.You youngins are rushing us older guys. Its not fair.Barrier is a tough spot to fish. Usually too crowded. Like Jens Ive really only done Barrier for Kings and Coho.The steelies get nailed pretty good from 100 yards downstream.If I'm gonna plunk the Cowlitz I head to the lower river.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:08 pm

jens wrote:Not late at all #-o Just have to put in your time. I did well on Jigs and Spoons :cheers: . Hit me up when get back into town, Notellum River has your name on it. Just make sure you have your knots dialed in (Palomar). My son lost 4 pig Summers last year all due to his faulty knot tying skills. We will be mainly fishing bobber/jigs. :salut:

I'd love to hit the Notellum River with ya jens.
I dont got a problem using bobber and jigs.
Unlike some people cough cough 'pooh :-"
Last summer, I practiced for about 2 weeks
tying knots.
I'll let ya know when im back.

ZogTheFuzzy
Petty Officer

Post by ZogTheFuzzy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:14 pm

The only strike I ever got after days and days of steelhead fishing was at Blue Creek over on the Cowlitz, so I definitely recommend fishing that area! LOL! :eye:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad." A.K. Best

"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout..." Paul O'Neil

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown, Fisherman's Spring, 1951

Columbia River Archery

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Ill use em FB only problem is I get bored with em fast and then I go back to drifting and catch fish. Then my world is all good again. Im better at drift fishing, so I drift. I try new things and always go back to old reliable. Ive been drift fishing almost twice as long as you been alive. So for me its not that I dont try it cause you can ask mr Bobber, Ive even tied my own jigs. I just havent caught fish that way. I guess I just dont wanna take the time to get good at something when Im already good at something else.
More fish please!

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:49 pm

Better get your brat bonkin in while you can. Won't be long before they stop planting summers and winters in anything that isn't a Columbia trib.
Life's short - fish hard!

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:51 pm

flinginpooh wrote:Ill use em FB only problem is I get bored with em fast and then I go back to drifting and catch fish. Then my world is all good again. Im better at drift fishing, so I drift. I try new things and always go back to old reliable. Ive been drift fishing almost twice as long as you been alive. So for me its not that I dont try it cause you can ask mr Bobber, Ive even tied my own jigs. I just havent caught fish that way. I guess I just dont wanna take the time to get good at something when Im already good at something else.
I know exactly what ya mean 'pooh.
I'm the same way with bass fishing. If i catch one fish on this lure, I don't wanna change it.
I could see how you could get bored with bobber and jigs.
I totally understand what you're saying.
I've caught quite a few salmon on corky and yarn.Never caught a steelhead,at all.
Never caught a salmon nor a steelhead on bobber and jigs.
The biggest fish i have caught on a bobber is about 8 inches. #-o #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.