Inflatable fishing boats

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
gpsposato
Angler

Inflatable fishing boats

Post by gpsposato » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:41 pm

I was thinking about getting an inflatable boat to fish with and was wondering if anyone had one and had any tips on what is good and what to look for. Also, does anyone know if these boats need to be registered in Washington? Thanks!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Inflatable fishing boats

Post by A9 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:53 pm

Had a Sevylor Fish Hunter model 280 I believe for a few years. After a year and a half, it started having leakage problems with the air chambers. It's not going to last you for a bunch of years if you use it a lot, but a $150 boat for two years of service when no other boat is feasible is a good deal. Went through 2 in 4 years. Had a good experience with em. All I could afford as a kid.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:16 pm

I have an 8' Boston Whaler inflatable that does well on smaller lakes around here. I have a Minn-Kota T36 on it and it does just fine. You could get away with a 9hp Merc on it and you would be flying. Infatables are the way to go for smaller lakes. Look at the break down size and how long it will take you to set-up. I keep mine inflated because of the time it takes to put together. Look at pontoons as well, if you plan on fishing solo these are the way to go. You would be surprised at how much you can take with you and most have mounts for trolling motors. Otherwise if your looking for a real boat save up and go bigger with a trailer. Like Kafelafish said, an inflatable is not going to last you for a bunch of years.
As far as registering a boat, this is taken right from the DMV Boat Registration - Any boat or other water vessel that is 16 feet or longer, has a motor larger than 10 horsepower, or is used on federal waters must be registered in Washington through the Department of Licensing (DOL). Smaller boats must be used only in nonfederal waters to be exempt.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lou
Petty Officer

Post by Lou » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:44 pm

I've also had 2 Fish Hunter inflatable boats. One was the 280, perfect size for 1 person with gear and motor/battery. The second one, the Fish Hunter 360, I still have in my trunk. I keep it ready to go so when I get off work, I'm only 15mins from fishing. I've had them for 1 year each, and so far no real wear. I would definitely recommend these boats.

-Lou

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:04 am

Make sure to be pretty gentle with inflatables. Don't drag em up over rocks like you would with an aluminum. Treat it good and you will get plenty of usage out of it.

One major downside: They are a pain to pump up and deflate after every use. Wish I had a truck I could just stick it in the back of, unfortunately it had to be folded and deflated to store in the trunk of a sedan....Motor's are cheap too, standard 30lb thrust minn kota's only run a bit over $100 and you can find them on sale occasionally for like $99.99

Good luck
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:32 am

I had a Sevylor 4 person (2 adults) inflatable when I started fishing as an adult. It was probably around maybe 30 dollars. It did well. I had a pump that I attached to my car battery to inflate and deflate. I just used paddles to get around. I enjoyed it because it allowed me to go fishing on the water and not just on a dock or shore. I think it had 5 different air chambers so if one deflated you were still afloat. One time one did deflate but we were still able to get to the boat launch. That was after I had it awhile. It patched up fine.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:11 am

I had one for a very short time when I lived in Anacortes. To me it was a death trap and I really hated it and constantly worried about losing my gear. Got rid of it and bought a used aluminum for about $200 and never looked back.

My teenage daughters have one now that they like to bring along when we camp. They play around in it, but don't fish from it. Last summer I had to "rescue" them when the wind carried them away faster than they could paddle so I dragged them back with my boat.

If cost is luring you toward an inflatable boat, save up and find a used rowboat or aluminum boat. If it's convenience, look toward a float tube or pontoon.

Just my opinion.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:47 pm

I have an 8 ft costco boat, and I love it. It is plastic and lightweight, and it is sturdy. Caught lots of nice fish out of it.

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:58 am

I used an inflatable raft from Costco for a few years. It was inexpensive, got me on the water, and lasted several years. In fact, I just sold it this year at a garage sale. The downside is that they are a pain to inflate and deflate and get a little messy when you fold them up wet.
Attachments
raft.jpg
raft.jpg (144.81 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:20 am

TARGET HAS A SIMILAR INFLATABLE FOR $29.99 WITH PUMP AND OARS. I USE IT TO FLOAT THE LOWER YAKIMA RIVER. IT WORKS GREAT.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:50 am

If it is just for you, look into a pontoon boat.
Attachments
P6230001_1.JPG
P6230001_1.JPG (279.38 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.