New Fly Rod

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish_Bait111397
Captain

New Fly Rod

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Well I just got a new fly rod for christmas. Im going to be targetin largemouth,brown,cutts, and rainbow trout. What color of flies should I use? Type of flies? Size of flies?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:New Fly Rod

Post by Amx » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:42 pm

Poppers - yellow that look like bees. Black, brown, mouse shaped, lizard shaped, etc.

Acual floating flys - most anything a trout will eat, and even bigger. Like dragon flies, mice, etc.

Sinking flys - streamers, most any color, but something that looks like trout, if there are any in those lakes/rivers, streams. [biggrin] Worm looking things. Sculpin looking stuff.

Bottom stuff that look like newts, nymphs [baby mayflies, etc], etc. Black, brown, white.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:49 pm

Go to a local fly shop, they will hook you up for whatever waters you are fishing in their area. (For that matter... are you in Phoenix AZ. like your avitar says...or are you up here now?)
Once you go in and get a hands on walk through of the local shops flies,,, you will get a feel what a nymph is, what streamers are, etc. Have fun with it. I would look for a casting class also.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:01 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Go to a local fly shop, they will hook you up for whatever waters you are fishing in their area. (For that matter... are you in Phoenix AZ. like your avitar says...or are you up here now?)
Once you go in and get a hands on walk through of the local shops flies,,, you will get a feel what a nymph is, what streamers are, etc. Have fun with it. I would look for a casting class also.
My uncle is an excellent fly fisherman, he LOVES it, so hes teaching me to cast. But yeah im in Phoenix right now.

Thanks Guys for the great information.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:01 pm

Ya, lessons, good idea. Maybe even a fly fishing club, check at your school, some schools do have fishing clubs.
Tom.

Interests: living

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:45 am

Amx wrote:Ya, lessons, good idea. Maybe even a fly fishing club, check at your school, some schools do have fishing clubs.
If my school did it would be the first and last club for me to join at school
but for trout your going to have a hard time finding flys that dont catch fish
Wolly buggers are IMO a Must have in the box. Ive caught so many types of different fish on them
But if you got a friend (like you do) that knows fly fishing you will be catching fish on the fly in no time :fish:
Good luck with the fly gear!
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Your Uncle will be a great wealth of knowledge, ask many questions. My advise would be to learn how to study the bodies of water you are going to be fishing. What are the fish eating, match it. Where are they feeding, bottom, mid-level, top, match it. Watch what the other fisherman are doing, if working, match it. There is alot to the old adage of Match the Hatch. But when all else fails put on a sink tip and a black leech and you will catch fish.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:33 am

Welcome to the addiction known as fly fishing. If you're looking for a website that deals exclusively with fly fishing, the site at the following link is hard to beat. Remember also that 85% of what a trout eats is under the surface, 5/8th inches long, green & has black eyes. Enjoy!

FAOL
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”