Lamiglass XMG 50

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Lamiglass XMG 50

Post by natetreat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:01 pm

G-Man wrote:Something to keep in mind is that high end graphite rods are very susecptable to nicks and fractures from events like being dropped, hitting anything with a sharp edge or even being thrown in the back seat with another rod. These very thin walled, super sensitive, ultra light weight rods just can't take that kind of abuse. Carbon fiber is a very strong material but can also be very brittle. Get yourself a case for the rod and transport it with it in the case! Don't ever drop or place your rod on the rocks to attend to a beached fish, take off your vest and use it as a cusion or better yet stand it up in the bushes or trees along the bank. I can honestly say that I have never had a rod break on me while fighting a fish, setting a hook, popping a line of the downrigger clip or busting off a snag. If your fishing reels have scuff marks on them due to the way you handle your gear, chances are your graphite rods are damaged as well.

I forgot to mention, make sure you test your rod before you buy it. Have the sales guy hold the tip and put the screws to it. I see folks smacking rods around in stores all the time and then they put them back like nothing ever happened.
I'll do that from now on. from what I'm reading on here it's gotta be a bad blank, whether from retail abuse as you describe, or manufacturer or shipping problems. My reel has a maximum drag setting of 15 pounds, my line was twelve pound test with ten pound leader, no wraps on the tip, no tangles on the guides. Maybe I dinged it putting it away, but I really treated it with kid gloves, especially after it broke the first time. I'm gonna see if they'll fix it, and if they do, then I'll use lamiglas in the future. If not, I'll probably switch to loomis, or something else.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:02 pm

CRW wrote:
natetreat wrote:[:( I don't know what part of that is the date code or not.

I know sereval people with the 9'2" never had problems, so it is hard to say. Something might have happen at the store also.

the date code is right above the handle on the blank it will be a letter and numer. I don't know if all models had problems but I know some of the earlier models had some issues.
the letter number is F10, I dunno what that means.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:04 pm

returnofthefish wrote:I have a Lami Northwest Special that I bought used off of my friend. It survived all of the snags that I had to break this season. Its rated up to 12 pound line and I was using 15 main and 12 leader for silvers. Sometimes the mainline was breaking from snags.
Hey! What's up man? Did you finally hook into some silvers this year? Haven't seen you around lately.

CRW
Petty Officer

Post by CRW » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:00 am

natetreat wrote:[the letter number is F10, I dunno what that means.

Means that it was made June 2010, so it is not a early version.

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:35 am

Nate I too am heavily questioning Lamiglas right now. I always like to give the benefit of the doubt, take others opinions in consideration and just learn from my own experiences, but in the past 6 months I have had 2 lamiglas rods broken. One was for baitcasting and the other was for spinning. Both were the 8'6" Classic Glass CG 86 MHC $114.

Now I know they're not the XMGs or the Cert Pros but for $114 I would expect for these to not break the way they did. Was I trying to land a 25# King - No! Was I trying to land a monster 30# Steely on the Bogey - No! I was simply testing the bend on the rod and the baitcasting rod snapped. I was barely putting any pressure on it and snap! The other one the spinning rod snapped last week on the bogey when I let my buddy use it (not Scott he has soft hands :) ) but his slinky weight and swivel had been stuck up in the tip and he was trying to get it out and do something I dont what it was he was doing, all of a sudden-snap! broke in two places, at the tip and about 4 inches below that!

Now I would like to think they both were just a fluke, but again at $114 a pop, I would hope for better. Again I know they're not the top rated Lamiglas has to offer, but come on. And I wish I could just take it down to my local store and get it replaced for free - like Shimano's Convergence. Instead I have to drive all the way down to who knows where and possibly get them replaced. I say that because the Classic's dont have the same warranty as the XMGs do. But I do like Jim's suggestion of going down to Lamiglas and then fishing the cow on the way back.

I still have hope, heck I wear a Lamiglas hoodie, but it will be awhile before I get a new one. Right now Im using an Okuma SST 9"6" it works great. And for $59 I cant complain.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:51 am

Donman, send or take the rod and pieces back to Lamiglas for replacements. There is no way a classic glass rod breaks unless it was damaged prior to purchase/use.

http://www.lamiglas.com/warranty.php

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks G-man, I'll probably just send it to them. Like I said I like to hope for the best, especially with a company like Lamiglas. I have seen (on other forums) that they are great with customer service. So we'll see.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:37 am

Classic glass rods are not ment to be in cold either. THey are a summer time rod or good on warmer climates. They do become more fragile in cold weather from my expiriences. I personally would never go back to a glass rod. Graphite and composite materials are soo much lighter and alot more durable. Take those rods down and see about an upgrade don. Go cert pro youll love the feel compared to that okuma and the lamis you have now. I like okumas but I only use mine under certain situations my lami or loomis isnt made for. But that being said Okumas are gr8 rods for the money, Cert pro is just that much better.
More fish please!

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:56 am

You're right Pooh, I always say you get what you pay for. I have top notch gear that I wear why not the same in a rod?

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:25 am

If you pull plugs at all, keep at least one of those glass rods, they work great in that application.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:34 am

Gman is right they are designed for trolling and pulling plugs. Gr8 down rigger rods. But again in cold weather and drift fishing like you do don they are not ment for. Most lamis are a specific design for certain types of fishing. You know how to get ahold of me don if you have ?s about different rods. I steered Lee towards a rod that would be decent. If I remember right he thanked me and even bought another one for his woman.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:55 am

I have the same rod and love mine. You probably had a faulty blank?
"One more......."

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:56 am

Bodofish wrote:All I can add is everybody gets a bad blank in on occasion. No reason to say one brand or another is junk. All the big names have good warrantees and stand by thier products. Have them replace it. Personally I'm a Lami guy, you can keep your G's and Fethas, they don't feel right to me.

PS if you liked the fetha stix rods in the past don't bother with them anymore. See Jim @ XRods......
Jim is a class act, met him over the weekend.
"One more......."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:58 pm

jens wrote:
Bodofish wrote:All I can add is everybody gets a bad blank in on occasion. No reason to say one brand or another is junk. All the big names have good warrantees and stand by thier products. Have them replace it. Personally I'm a Lami guy, you can keep your G's and Fethas, they don't feel right to me.

PS if you liked the fetha stix rods in the past don't bother with them anymore. See Jim @ XRods......
If you can pony up the $ for one of his RodZ it comes any way you want it. All of them made by hand in Redmond.
:-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ Shshshshshshshsh.... I'm afraid my next one is gonna be about five bills.... Shshshshshshshshsh........ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$
:-" :-# :-" :-# :-" Is my wife looking????? :-# :-" :-# :-" :-# :-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Bodofish wrote:
jens wrote:

If you can pony up the $ for one of his RodZ it comes any way you want it. All of them made by hand in Redmond.
:-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ Shshshshshshshsh.... I'm afraid my next one is gonna be about five bills.... Shshshshshshshshsh........ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$
:-" :-# :-" :-# :-" Is my wife looking????? :-# :-" :-# :-" :-# :-"
My buddy is sponsored, when I can pony up the fundage, I'll be getting one. Played with the 9'6 Spinning and was impressed with the feel and sensitivty not to mention the power.
"One more......."

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Thats the reason I wouldnt get an Xrod right there. They cost alot more money. But each one is done by hand from start to finish. Definately a quality rod. I know some people and might be able to get one at a guide discount. I know 3 guides sponsored by xrodz. I still cant spend that kind of money on a rod. My wife would kill me too.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

flinginpooh wrote:Thats the reason I wouldnt get an Xrod right there. They cost alot more money. But each one is done by hand from start to finish. Definately a quality rod. I know some people and might be able to get one at a guide discount. I know 3 guides sponsored by xrodz. I still cant spend that kind of money on a rod. My wife would kill me too.
It's all about the size of your rod. Why do you think I can go fishing anytime I want? [drool] [flapper]
"One more......."

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:20 pm

The wife was going to let me spend the money on one last year and I didn't jump on it. Played with a few of there rods....amazing.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:31 pm

jens wrote:
flinginpooh wrote:Thats the reason I wouldnt get an Xrod right there. They cost alot more money. But each one is done by hand from start to finish. Definately a quality rod. I know some people and might be able to get one at a guide discount. I know 3 guides sponsored by xrodz. I still cant spend that kind of money on a rod. My wife would kill me too.
It's all about the size of your rod. Why do you think I can go fishing anytime I want? [drool] [flapper]
I'l buy that! I fish anytime I want to...............:compress: :compress: :cheers: :cheers:
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Bodofish wrote:
jens wrote:
I'l buy that! I fish anytime I want to...............:compress: :compress: :cheers: :cheers:

[flapper] LOL, I not only fish anytime I want to, but my "Honey" is right there with me.[wub] Now it don't get much better than that. :thumright