Lamiglass XMG 50

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Lamiglass XMG 50

Post by natetreat » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:25 pm

[cursing] [cursing]

My pole is rated 8 to 15 pound test. I fish for steel with 6 - 8 pound leader for the most part. With high flows I fish a 12 pound leader in the current. The top of the pole broke on the fist fish it hooked when I got it, lost a big brute on the Hump a couple months back. I haven't used it, because I don't use it for bobber fishing when the water has been so low on the sky, so today was the first time I've used it for more than a few minutes.

I hook a fish, and start playing it, the fish isn't fighting back that hard at all, I go to pull up to bring it in, and snap. Not the big giant break CRACK like your hear and groan all the way down the river, just a tiny click and the bottom section breaks.

I'd never bought a fancy pole before, but I wanted the best, and the guy at Outdoor Emporium told me that that was the one. I would've bought any pole in the joint, a loomis, fenwick, lamiglass, and he and some other guys in the shop told me to get this one.

12 pound leader should DEFINITELY snap before your pole. I took care of this thing like it was a vintage car, I kept it at home on the rack, wiped it off, cased it up, and it didn't come through for me.

I tell you what, I'm not going to get another Lami after this. Has anybody else had this problem, or is it just me? Bad pole or bad pole design? Any suggestions on a rod with comparable sensitivity and weight (which on this rod was amazing) but that actually has the power that it advertises?

flinginpooh
Captain

RE:Lamiglass XMG 50

Post by flinginpooh » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:54 pm

I fish a cert pro 9'6" and I love it. I pulled in kings that weighed 22lb 24lb 20lb 17lb. Silvers ranging from 10 up to 17lb and many steelies over 10lbs. I got mine used and when I got it the reel seat was loose. I never fixed it I just kept on fishing. Lami told me theyd fix it free of charge but it was gonna take 2 weeks. I cant go 2 weeks without this pole. So I tried to break it. Fished for kings with it and hooked some pigs. I couldnt break it. I finally loosend the bottom eye on the top section right above the ferrule. Went to break the pole down and When I went to twist it loose it wouldnt budge. So I reefed a lil hard on it and bent up the eye and actually loosened the eppoxy there. It was still fishable but Jensen was headed down that way anyhow so I sent the pole with him. Its being worked on now. Really Nate 229 for a rod ist bad. The price you paid for xmg 50 plus tax of course. These poles are light and sensitive. They are made that way at a price When it come to strength I think. But the warrenty is top notch. Just send it in with 20 bucks they send ya a new one. OR drive down and get one then and there if in stock. Cant beat that. Gloomis is 100 bucks to get a new rod now. Even with the warrenty. You already pay 300 bucks for one of there good rods then 100 every time you break one? Get for real on that.

Oh I wasnt there but Im guessing when your tip broke your line was prolly wrapped around the tip. It happends and it will break your tip. Specially if your using braid. As far as cracking your rod and not your leader. Did you bring it up past a 90deg straight up and down alot of people I watch bring there rods so far back. That snaps rods and not leaders.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:12 pm

Nah man, when the tip part broke it broke in the middle right above the join, the line wasn't wrapped around the tip. No wrap at all. Not above 90 degrees either. It was just shoddy graphite or damaged when I bought it. I've broken poles before back when I was a kid, they weren't expensive poles, but they were to me, especially with no warranty, so I treat my poles with the utmost care now. I've brought in 30 pound kings on rods rated for ten pound test, I know what I'm doing. I'm not saying that you're saying that I don't, just what happened. My buddy down in Oly had an XMG do the same thing on him twice, but he only told me that that was what he was fishing after I bought this one. Lamiglas has been very nice as far as customer service, but if my pole is going to break every other time I catch a fish, I'll probably switch to something more tried. So the certified pro has been a around a while, and don't break? I'll look into that one. I paid 220 for XMG, it retails for 330, so no, if it won't break like this, that really aint bad at all.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:30 pm

well if u do get a rod worth the money go to a fetha styx. if u want to not own lami. fethas are best in my book along with loomis steelhead series 1163c. the fethas are in the 200 dollar range up to 360
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:50 pm

curado wrote:well if u do get a rod worth the money go to a fetha styx. if u want to not own lami. fethas are best in my book along with loomis steelhead series 1163c. the fethas are in the 200 dollar range up to 360
Okay, I've looked at those too. I realize that it could just be a bad blank that I got on my pole, it was the old part that broke on it, not the new tip they put together for me. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if this is a thing that happens more often with lami's or if it's just the blank I got.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 am

it is just some of the xmg blanks
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:24 am

I know how you feel about llama rods....not sure I will ever buy another as well.

I know Don picked up a cheaper rod and OH MY...that thing is sweet. the reel is sweet
to...cast with ease

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:34 am

Certified pro are 100% garbage. I have broken mine for the second time and am not going to spend the 20 dollars it costs to send it in again. Loomis all the way and for my new spinning rod I may have to take curados suggestion into consideration and check out a fetha styx rod.hey curafo do you know any where that carries those in store so I can feel a few?

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:07 am

out is piece county area....try wholesale sport or make the trip to cabbalas.

Defiance Boats has a new outfitters shop here in Kitsap county..........worth the trip. Not as big as wholesale or cabbalas but they sell quality gear.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:07 am

forgot about sportco as well

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:12 am

sportco has them for sure

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

cogitator
Petty Officer

Post by cogitator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:54 am

If I read your post correctly, you are not going to try to repair this rod.
If that is the case, do you want to sell it?
e-mail me as slvolz@hotmail.com

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:01 pm

I remember fishing with the group down at Lewis River and goingpostal had landed a nice steely probably about 6-7# and the fish was flopping on the bank and snapped his brand new g-loomis rod. What did he do, returned the rod and got his usual lami rod. Sometimes its the freak of nature or maybe was a defective blank. Usually the top know products are well made and reliable, except if you bought it at Walmart, regardless of who made it (I've heard they use cheaper materials just for Walmart). I personally fish with Lami Certifiied Pro Bill Herzog 10' and luckily no freakish accidents for me except the tip insert breaking and freaking love this rod. Of course you can't beat the low profile daiwa zillion reel to with the rod.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Not sure why a cert pro rod would be garbage. I use heavier then suggested line and leaders haul in fish way bigger then its intended for. No problems at all. My uncle did break his on a 30# plus boot king. But its a med rated rod 8-12lb line and designed for silvers and steelies. Not kings. But hes got a new one now. If you want a rod that does everything then youll need to get a rod that can do more then med weight. A med heavy rod or even a heavy. I have 7 different rods for diff things. Thats just for river fishing. I have an xheavy for those big cowlits kings in the fast current. I have a med heavy rod for silvers and kings. I have a 9'6 med and 8'6 med and a 9' spin med and a 7'6 heavy and a 7'6 med. And whos to not say you had bad blanks. It happens. Maybe the rods spline was miss read. That cause big problems. I mean all kinds of things could be. I just know that I personally have had good times with my cert pro. I love it. If everyone had the expiriences I have had with my rod everyone would love them. Ok Im done. Have a good day everyone.
More fish please!

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:50 pm

pooh, I have many rods as well and all of which I use for more than just drift fishing. I landed a 5' sturgeon on my 10'6 8-12 loomis, and of all the rods I've had,i can say lamiglas is junk. When yu start hooking alot of fish that actually bite and take off like a freight train, you will learn the true ability of a rod, I don't believe this can be determined pulling a fish up side ways

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Brian I seriously have no clue of who you think you are. To talk to me like you have a clue of my fishing abilities or skills. Ill take crap from Jensen I know him off this website. Ive fished with you one time for a few minutes. Again another guy starts fishing within the last 2 years and thinks they know everything. Ive pulled in more fish head first then you have any clue of. I have over 30 years of fishing expirience. 25 years of them in rivers. Your not even that old are you brian. Trying to tell me about catching fish thats funny. Ive caught fish on bait, spoons, spinners, plugs, trolling gear, drift gear, just to name a few. My family has been fishing with Lamiglas rods since the 70s. But thats not point, point here is until you can stand next to me and show me how its done, dont talk crap to me. Dont try and talk down to me. All mighty tosser of spoons. I know what Ive caught and how often I catch. From what Ive seen your still not there. Dont try to come at me like you are.
More fish please!

cogitator
Petty Officer

Post by cogitator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Brian,
I lived/fished in Alaska for 40 years. 18 of those years I was a guide.
I used mostly Lamiglas rods with no problems.
I’ve seen more fish caught on Lamiglas rods than you will probably see in your lifetime.
If you have a Lamiglas that you think is garbage I’d be happy to take it off your hands.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:03 pm

flinginpooh wrote:Brian I seriously have no clue of who you think you are. To talk to me like you have a clue of my fishing abilities or skills. Ill take crap from Jensen I know him off this website. Ive fished with you one time for a few minutes. Again another guy starts fishing within the last 2 years and thinks they know everything. Ive pulled in more fish head first then you have any clue of. I have over 30 years of fishing expirience. 25 years of them in rivers. Your not even that old are you brian. Trying to tell me about catching fish thats funny. Ive caught fish on bait, spoons, spinners, plugs, trolling gear, drift gear, just to name a few. My family has been fishing with Lamiglas rods since the 70s. But thats not point, point here is until you can stand next to me and show me how its done, dont talk crap to me. Dont try and talk down to me. All mighty tosser of spoons. I know what Ive caught and how often I catch. From what Ive seen your still not there. Dont try to come at me like you are.

Oh I trust you pooh, I've been inpressed with this rod since I got it, it feels spectacular and can feel the bites well. Everytime I've had a reasonably large fish on its cracked in half though. I have a feeling it's bad graphite, I just got a bad blank. From what you're telling me, you've fished lamiglas rods for a long time and can attest that they don't sell lemons very often. That's something that I can use, because I'm going to send it back and see if they'll fix it. I too have a collection of rods and have caught many fish, but for the most part I have Okuma rods, which I've never had a problem with. I've only broken one, which I didn't break, it was my brother and he broke it on a king at the skok. The rod was four years old living through jetty fishing at westport, so it broke because it was beat to hell. But they feel like a flexible stick, not the sweet lightweight graphite of my xmg. So I'm going to get it fixed.

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Pooh I don't believe I targeted any one in my previous post, may want to re-read. Any from my experiences lami is junk, when they are not broken they are a nice rod. I can't afford down time as much as I fish that's why I would not recommend one. If you love them good for you, this thread was about suggestions and experiences with lami rods, so I chimed in with my history with lami rods. Not sure where you felt you were being bashed on, unless you feel you fit the description of one who pulls fish in side ways, if so I honestly feel sorry for you.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:17 pm

All I can add is everybody gets a bad blank in on occasion. No reason to say one brand or another is junk. All the big names have good warrantees and stand by thier products. Have them replace it. Personally I'm a Lami guy, you can keep your G's and Fethas, they don't feel right to me.

PS if you liked the fetha stix rods in the past don't bother with them anymore. See Jim @ XRods......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!