First salmon ever

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

First salmon ever

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:06 pm

:cheers:

Well, I know it's no big deal to most of you...... but I still have to share it with someone. I caught my first salmon ever yesterday morning. A pink of course. Caught just a mile north of Shilshole marina, area 10.
I had gone out to pick up my two crab pots...... one of which was gone when I got there BTW. Arrgh!

I through out a white dodger with a pink squid behind it, trolled for about 15 min. Fish on! I am such a goof, I am thinking that I MUST have just hooked a dogfish. but sure enough I got that sweet glimmer of silver alongside the boat. I post to you all because my friends all of whom don't fish at all, are all like,, " Yeah, whatever dude".

Lesson learned though... have your net extended and locked before starting to fish. I was by myself and had to hold the fish against the boat with one hand, while extending the net with the other.

It really can't be that easy?? Kings must be harder?:bounce:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Derrick-k
Commander

RE:First salmon ever

Post by Derrick-k » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:39 pm

lol my dad lost a 25lber trying to net it himself.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:41 pm

Silvers are actually the hardest to net. They go crazy around the boat and never seem to tire...

Good for you though, glad you got your first salmon. Best fishing in the NW by far is for salmon, no matter what the bass guys or anyone else says...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:48 am

There you go quadradomus. I just caught my first pink not too long ago as well. The first one is always tough to get out of the way, but after you break the ice it becomes easier and eiser. :cheers: How big was your fish?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:10 am

Keep at the salmon fishing and you won't be able to stop. Silvers will be rolling through just after these pinks, which are great as a "get started" salmon to learn the basics with because of their great numbers and ease to catch. Good luck with that Lund quad and keep at those salmon

corvettefanatic1979
Angler

Post by corvettefanatic1979 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:38 pm

I caught my first salmon up in Alaska. I caught a 24lb King Salmon. it sure did put up when big of a fight though:bounce: just the other night, i went fishing out at Hansville. i caught my second salmon. i caught a 4lb Silver Salmon. caught it right of the beach to. i was using a pink buzz bomb when i caught it.:compress:

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:13 pm

Congratulations Chris. Glad to here you got a salmon this year.
Sorry to here about your pot though. How did your other one do?

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:16 pm

Just a quick word of advice, I know many of you have probably already heard this, but now is the time to polish some salmon skills and refine your game with these Pinks. Or better yet, take someone or a kid fishing for them who wont care about what species of salmon it is, but will have the memories of spanking the salmon all day for a while. It's fast and steady action, easy to get setup for pinks in both the salt and the rivers, and if handled well, can provide quality table meat...

fisherdane
Petty Officer

Post by fisherdane » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:01 pm

What size buzz bomb should I use? what size hook works best? I assume that pink color is a must.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:41 pm

fisherdane wrote:What size buzz bomb should I use? what size hook works best? I assume that pink color is a must.
The size depends on where you are planning on fishing?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:14 pm

fishnislife wrote:Congratulations Chris. Glad to here you got a salmon this year.
Sorry to here about your pot though. How did your other one do?

fishnislife

The crabbing was excellent for me this year. One night I had a pot with 12 large size crabs, (mostly large) they were all females of course........... BUT 12.
No problem though.... the second pot also had 11 or 12 and they were all males, and at least 9 of them were legal. Naturaly I only kept 5 dungenous (sp?)
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg