Winter Steel

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Matt
Admiral

RE:Winter Steel

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:08 pm

Got plans with some buds to hit the OP on the 12th and 13th. Probly focusing mainly on the Bogie. Haven't done much in the way of steelhead fishing yet this winter as other opportunities have been just too good to pass up! [thumbsup]
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:00 am

Matt wrote:Got plans with some buds to hit the OP on the 12th and 13th. Probly focusing mainly on the Bogie. Haven't done much in the way of steelhead fishing yet this winter as other opportunities have been just too good to pass up! [thumbsup]
Well done Matt.....I should be heading out tomorrow night to fish all of sunday......

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Matt wrote:Got plans with some buds to hit the OP on the 12th and 13th. Probly focusing mainly on the Bogie. Haven't done much in the way of steelhead fishing yet this winter as other opportunities have been just too good to pass up! [thumbsup]
I think we're going out next weekend to the OP, I'll let you guys know how we do.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:28 pm

When are you going to be there? Next weekend is when we are going, probably leaving Sunday morning on the first boat, then coming back Monday evening. We will probably shack up in forks for the night.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:43 pm

We're gonna be there probably friday night to sunday night, fish first light on sunday. We're probably gonna camp at the bogachiel state park, or somewhere. Haven't figured that out yet.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:19 pm

Buddy and I drifted the nooch from kayaks today. Got two bucks: one was 29 inches and the other was 18... I kept him so he didn't pass on those genes.
Lee

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:45 pm

bionic_one wrote:Buddy and I drifted the nooch from kayaks today. Got two bucks: one was 29 inches and the other was 18... I kept him so he didn't pass on those genes.
Good idea. I like that idea a lot, plus the size of 'em doesn't effect the taste anyhow. :cheers: How rough is the nooch for drifting? I have a kayak, but it's no whitewater kayak. We used to do the lower skookumchuck to the mouth when I was a kid, but that's pretty mellow compared to like, parts of the sky or green.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:16 am

I was in a Sevylor River XDS which is built like a whitewater raft. Buddy was in a Cobra Fish n Dive. The FnD is a wide sit on top style kayak. Neither of the yaks are really whitewater boats and they don’t need to be. The only real danger is not paying attention and running into a rock or tree/logjam and getting flipped. Navigate the river and fish only when its safe. Also of note- we wear drysuits so that when we hookup we can usually jump out and land the fish from a static position. Drifting out of control to land a fish would be a bad idea. (Some people have drift anchor systems in their yaks and just drop anchor when they get a fish on)
Lee

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:50 am

Last dec it took me 45 hours to land my first steel of the winter. This year it took me 4 hours. And then it took me another 6 hours and I had number 2. Both of my fish was hens the summer run was 14lbs and the winter run was 10lbs. I went 2 for 10 yesturday my hooks kept straightening out on me. I had to run up to the car and grab some bigger hooks. Started out with number 2 hooks had to switch to 1/0, then I finally landed one. The fish was jumping and thrashing sooooo much it was just straightening #2s like they was aluminum. Maybe it was just a bad batch of hooks cause I usually use 2s for steel and Have no problem. But they seemed big this year so far. Hmmm cant get pics to work Ill try later.
Attachments
100_3652.JPG
100_3652.JPG (87.2 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
100_3651.JPG
100_3651.JPG (117.96 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
steeldec2010.jpg
steeldec2010.jpg (14.21 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:00 pm

Okay for anyone looking to head out the to OP next weekend.....I hope we get some more rain....not many fish in the river.....I went 0/2 and the first should be in my freezer right now. was at my feet and lost it.

Don went 0/1.....water was clear as can be and low. there are some in but not like last weekend......the locals were saying thursday after the rains this week was the best day.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:03 pm

bionic_one wrote:I was in a Sevylor River XDS which is built like a whitewater raft. Buddy was in a Cobra Fish n Dive. The FnD is a wide sit on top style kayak. Neither of the yaks are really whitewater boats and they don’t need to be. The only real danger is not paying attention and running into a rock or tree/logjam and getting flipped. Navigate the river and fish only when its safe. Also of note- we wear drysuits so that when we hookup we can usually jump out and land the fish from a static position. Drifting out of control to land a fish would be a bad idea. (Some people have drift anchor systems in their yaks and just drop anchor when they get a fish on)

I think our kayak would be up to the task. I've been wanting to find a good drift that would be suitable for it. A dry suit would be handy! Probably pretty warm too.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:00 pm

scott080379 wrote:Okay for anyone looking to head out the to OP next weekend.....I hope we get some more rain....not many fish in the river.....I went 0/2 and the first should be in my freezer right now. was at my feet and lost it.

Don went 0/1.....water was clear as can be and low. there are some in but not like last weekend......the locals were saying thursday after the rains this week was the best day.
Its suppose to dump all week long. I am hoping we don't get TOO MUCH and blow everything beyond belief. Tentatively we are still planning to go but will play it by ear.... err.. by the gauges.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:12 pm

even when the water is high it is fishable...the fish should be there.....run not even close to fully in...only afew fish in the creek.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Matt wrote:
scott080379 wrote:Okay for anyone looking to head out the to OP next weekend.....I hope we get some more rain....not many fish in the river.....I went 0/2 and the first should be in my freezer right now. was at my feet and lost it.

Its suppose to dump all week long. I am hoping we don't get TOO MUCH and blow everything beyond belief. Tentatively we are still planning to go but will play it by ear.... err.. by the gauges.
I don't think we'll get anough to make it super duper blown. I hope not, because we're set up for this weekend already, my brother's coming up from Corvallis. I like fishing the rivers a lot when they're high. I've had luck with less than 6 inches of visibility when there are fish in the river. They like the way my eggs smell. :bball:

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:22 pm

good luck guys...I would have rather had the water a little cloudy then clear......

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:32 am

I went to my usual Green River for some weekend steel. I get all set up thinking I'll plunk some fresh Coho eggs.I cast and nothing happens for a spell so I get complacent and start reading a lil and put a bell on my pole. Now im getting really bored and started looking at the surroundings of a new deep hole I found.All of a sudden the bell rings. Im now like 50 feet away from my pole. One hit,two hits,.. as I run back to the pole of course I slip and fall. The pole tip is still bobbing till right when i pick up I think to myself ...next hit I'll set the hook knowing that at the third hid I need to set. I stood there shaking for 15 minutes before I rebaited both cleaned spin n glos. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... It was exciting but NO FISH FOR RALPHIE.. I didnt know what it was. I kept telling myself it was an older chum trying to justify my leaving the pole. Oh well !!!! next time.....
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:33 am

scott080379 wrote:good luck guys...I would have rather had the water a little cloudy then clear......
Yah I like fishing high water, just not FLOODED water. If we get rain it should be good, I am just hoping its not a monsoon of some sort.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:35 am

That sucks Rac! Better luck next time dude, you'll get 'em. Sounds like you were in the right spot at least :) And be careful out there! We don't need you going and falling down and busting yourself up!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

code3daddy
Petty Officer

Post by code3daddy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:30 pm

bionic_one wrote:Buddy and I drifted the nooch from kayaks today. Got two bucks: one was 29 inches and the other was 18... I kept him so he didn't pass on those genes.
Hey, Bionic...I was with two buddies at the spill way...did we see eachother?

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:14 pm

If you saw this guy going over the barrier dam instead of using the spillway thing on the side, then yes, you did!

Lee