Ice Reports

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
aaron42ash
Lieutenant

RE:Ice Reports

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:03 am

I'll let you know Friday. I'm going to make a trip up there and test it out a bit. I'm sure there's a little ice now, but maybe not walkable yet... we'll see what we see

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:20 am

aaron42ash wrote:I'll let you know Friday. I'm going to make a trip up there and test it out a bit. I'm sure there's a little ice now, but maybe not walkable yet... we'll see what we see
You talking about Eloika?

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:35 am

Yes sir... it had a bit of ice around the edges last friday....hopefully more this week?

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:45 pm

North Silver's iced over, don't know how thick due to access issues and selective gear fishery/catch-release anyways.

Silver is wide open except for the shallow un-fishable NW corner, although that had holes all over. Saw a heron sitting by one of the holes hoping for a meal.
It's gonna take forever and a day before Silver's iced.

I guess Eloika's shallow and will be the first to ice up. Might make a trip there myself; Too late in the day to check it out today as sunset is 4pm.

Itching for ice.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:02 am

[quote="Jay K"]North Silver's iced over, don't know how thick due to access issues and selective gear fishery/catch-release anyways.

Silver is wide open except for the shallow un-fishable NW corner, although that had holes all over. Saw a heron sitting by one of the holes hoping for a meal.
It's gonna take forever and a day before Silver's iced.

I guess Eloika's shallow and will be the first to ice up. Might make a trip there myself]

Where the holes in Silver man made? Are you referring to the NW corner as in the boat launch?

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:21 am

Kfedka wrote:Where the holes in Silver man made? Are you referring to the NW corner as in the boat launch?
No, they were just weak spots in the ice.

No, the area that has got skim ice is the shallow weedy area that is directly east of the road leading to the parking area/launch.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:11 am

I drove past Sprague on Tues. and it was starting to ice over on the west end. I'm sure it will be a couple of weeks before there is enough ice to walk out safely on.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:I drove past Sprague on Tues. and it was starting to ice over on the west end. I'm sure it will be a couple of weeks before there is enough ice to walk out safely on.

Interesting, I didn't realize Sprague was such a shallow lake as well (just looked at the topo). It'll take weeks? <Groan>

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:03 pm

was able to check the ice status of Eloika... all of the snow is insulating the water and making ice formation difficult. We shot a bird that landed out on the ice and we were able to retrive it, but I couldn't imagine that here was more than 1.5 to 2" of ice. Looking at the forecasts for the Elk area, I would think 2 more weeks because of warm overnight lows and the amount of snow on the ice. Sad day...

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:54 pm

aaron42ash wrote:I couldn't imagine that there was more than 1.5 to 2" of ice.
2" of ice!!! I'm on my way!..... just kidding... Thanks for the report... ugh... 2 more weeks...

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Hey thanks for the reports on the spokane area lakes, i have been ice fishing a little bit the last few years now. I like it, even though my outing have all be very sucessfull(10-20 fish days) or no bites at all almost. Not sure if that is just the way it goes ice fishing or i am doing something wrong. My set up is pretty basic, a jig with a pearch eye on it is all i use. My buddy pulled a 4lb lmb last year out of a 6'' hole, i hade to go over a wiggle it up thrugh the hole as it almost did not fit. that was his first time iver out and his first 30 seconds in the water. Crazzy luck huh>? What does anyone know about 4th of july lake. Other then you have to walk a mile almost to get to the deep waters. I went once(no luck) and there were about 4-5 diff. groups with fires on the ice with beer to. I have never seen either one of thoss before ice fishing. Anyhow keeps us all posted. Thanks guys. Stay safe out there EVERYONE> :salut:

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:25 pm

bazzdude wrote:What does anyone know about 4th of july lake. Other then you have to walk a mile almost to get to the deep waters. I went once(no luck) and there were about 4-5 diff. groups with fires on the ice with beer to.
4th of July and Hog Canyon open Dec 1st. I haven't been, but they're good winter ice trout fisheries. If you're interested in trout on the ice, then you might visit Sprague (save the hike); Although last year people claimed the trout were muddy tasting in the winter. I'm not sure 4th of July or Hog Canyon will be easy to get to with all the snow we've been getting.

In the midwest and Canada, fires on the ice are pretty common, as is ice multiple feet deep. They drive their trucks/cars out too. Fish fry right on the ice. I'm not certain I'd try that on any of the lakes here in Eastern WA (driving that is). If it's multiple feet deep, maybe a fish fry on the ice would be cool.

Re: your catch success rates. My philosophy is that you gotta move constantly to find the fish. Drill many many holes all day long - so it's important to have an excellent auger. Thought I damn near tore my rotator cuff using a crappy auger the first time I was out. A flasher (portable sonar) will also up your odds. With all the bad weather we're having I recently ordered a pop-up tent. It might limit my mobility (I like to move A LOT when ice fishing), but it'll help when there's freezing wind/rain/sleet.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:32 pm

ya moving around is the key to finding the fish. Most fish at this stage of the year are not transitional, but they will move within the same water column. find the right depth for the fish and drill that depth.
Thought I damn near tore my rotator cuff using a crappy auger the first time I was out.
Check the classifieds Jay...selling a bit of help for your poor shoulder :-"

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:31 pm

aaron42ash wrote:
Thought I damn near tore my rotator cuff using a crappy auger the first time I was out.
Check the classifieds Jay...selling a bit of help for your poor shoulder :-"
Oh, that first outing I was using a buddy's auger. After that experience, I went and bought the finest hand auger imported from Finland. Cuts ice like a hot knife through butter...[laugh] Takes next to no effort at all, highly portable, "lightweight" and no gasoline fumes.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Ahh you have a Nils :) I just got one last year at Cabela's on sale for a good price. I really like it too for Washington ice fishing. Only bummer about it is the price of the blade because you have to replace the whole lower part of the unit. So far it hasn't gone dull on me though after a hundred holes or so.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:18 am

aaron42ash wrote:Ahh you have a Nils :) I just got one last year at Cabela's on sale for a good price. I really like it too for Washington ice fishing. Only bummer about it is the price of the blade because you have to replace the whole lower part of the unit. So far it hasn't gone dull on me though after a hundred holes or so.
[laugh] Yep, the 6". Last year at Cabela's at the end of our early ice season, I also picked up the 8", but ended up returning it unopened even though it was a relative bargain. Just couldn't justify owning both a 6" and 8" - they're still kinda pricey. I think an important aspect of keeping the Nils effective is to "gently" lay the tip on the ice before drilling. Any slight bangup of the tip (ie: using it as a walking stick) can put the slightest bend to the blades and render it ineffective (or at least that's what I read).

Can't wait till ice, man.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Yeah they're the best hand auger no question. Does anyone use a Vexilar or Marcum? I was thinking about getting a Showdown by Marcum if I can sell that auger and some jigs. The Showdown is all gray-scale, but I like that it's only a 2" separation and it's still a dual beam. I found one on ebay for a reasonable price, but as always I might have to buy through Cabela's considering their return policies and customer service...

Oh yeah...btw considering this is "supposed" to be about ice reports, anyone been out to test Spokane area ice?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Here guys had to throw you a bone... This is what I have been pulling through the ice... Dad got a cutbow over 5 lbs for his first hardwater fish:cheers:

A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:44 pm

thanks for the reply guys. I will move around more and the other thing is find the depth right> are there some days where they are not bitting at all or some days are just morning or evenings? I am kinda new som cerius if it is like bassin? diff. times of the day do matter. Any how is my basic setup of jig and pearch eye a good one, that has been my go to set up so far. Ok stay safe out there and keep reporting.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:49 pm

no ice in the yakima area yet! hope to hit the Naches this weekend for some whitefish.