Ducks

All things related to hunting.
aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Ducks

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Well for a week I've been hitting Spokane area lakes for ducks with some success. Last Thursday we took home 9 birds. Most mallards with 2 wood ducks mixed in. Saturday we only scored 6... 3 mergs, 3 mallards. Today I went out with xWisconyfisher and I think I caught a cold. We also ran though a box of shells and shot 3 birds. Poor shooting on his part... :^o 2 Goldeneye and 1 Bufflehead. So far it's been ok. Lots of hours for so few birds though.

Has anyone else had any luck lately? I'm looking to head up to the P.O. after turkey day. Any word of the bird up there?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Ducks

Post by Amx » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:18 pm

You shoot 'wood ducks'? Aren't those called 'decoys'?

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:42 pm

:scratch: oh is that why they woodn't jump? Thought the meat was kinda hard to chew as well...

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Well that is one way to get your fiber. :) [thumbup]
Tom.

pumpkin
Petty Officer

Post by pumpkin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:09 am

I went hunting Friday and Saturday, at the potholes and got 2 ducks each day. Not much of anything was flying except for the huge flocks like a mile up.

ZogTheFuzzy
Petty Officer

Post by ZogTheFuzzy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Quoting you: "Has anyone else had any luck lately?"

Nope...mainly because I have never gone duck hunting. :-"

My son and I have shotguns, we have a tiny boat, probably need a duck call. I live in Moses Lake, and there seems to be a ton of ducks and geese out here. Any other tips from all of you duck hunting veterans out there?
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad." A.K. Best

"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout..." Paul O'Neil

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown, Fisherman's Spring, 1951

Columbia River Archery

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:08 pm

ZogTheFuzzy wrote:Quoting you: "Has anyone else had any luck lately?"

Nope...mainly because I have never gone duck hunting.

My son and I have shotguns, we have a tiny boat, probably need a duck call. I live in Moses Lake, and there seems to be a ton of ducks and geese out here. Any other tips from all of you duck hunting veterans out there?
Lead the bird. Shoot where they WILL BE, not where they ARE. :-" :) [laugh]
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:24 pm

ZogTheFuzzy wrote:My son and I have shotguns, we have a tiny boat, probably need a duck call. I live in Moses Lake, and there seems to be a ton of ducks and geese out here. Any other tips from all of you duck hunting veterans out there?
Go to the dunes![thumbup] My friend and I used to hunt out of a 12' Coleman Crawdad in the dunes. It is actually better to have a small boat in the dunes because you can get to all the little puddles the bigger boats can't. Amazing hunting at times. If you do head into this area at the north end of Potholes be sure to pay attention to where you are going or have a GPS so you can find your way back. The dunes area is like a freakin maze and you can get turned around pretty easy if not careful.:scratch:

ZogTheFuzzy
Petty Officer

Post by ZogTheFuzzy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Hey, we do have a GPS, too. Forgot to list that.

The dunes, eh? Okay!

"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout..." Paul O'Neil

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown, Fisherman's Spring, 1951

Columbia River Archery

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:32 am

Went out again...it was pretty good, but really cold. Shot some birds. We had to move around a bit. We were set up in one area, but the ducks wouldn't decoy so we had to move to where they were flying. Once we set up there it was better shooting. Hunting a lake North of Spokane in the snow. Bird numbers are good. We saw quite a variety of birds too. The geese weren't moving as much as the ducks and seemed to stay away from the bank all day...

ZogTheFuzzy
Petty Officer

Post by ZogTheFuzzy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:13 am

Quoting AMX:
Lead the bird. Shoot where they WILL BE, not where they ARE.
I definitely need to work on that. I could hit a cheerio at 30 yards with my good ol' .22, but as a newby shotgunner, I have launched a ton of steel into the air with only one quail to show for it. #-o

Columbia River Archery

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Sun May 22, 2011 9:20 pm

aaron42ash wrote:Well for a week I've been hitting Spokane area lakes for ducks with some success. Last Thursday we took home 9 birds. Most mallards with 2 wood ducks mixed in. Saturday we only scored 6... 3 mergs, 3 mallards. Today I went out with xWisconyfisher and I think I caught a cold. We also ran though a box of shells and shot 3 birds. Poor shooting on his part... :^o 2 Goldeneye and 1 Bufflehead. So far it's been ok. Lots of hours for so few birds though.

Has anyone else had any luck lately? I'm looking to head up to the P.O. after turkey day. Any word of the bird up there?

Just Read this....lol....I'm pretty sure my Beretta was on the money all day...as for your Benelli as far as I could tell it was shooting blanks....:)

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”