Thanksgiving recipes,, bring 'em on

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Thanksgiving recipes,, bring 'em on

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:50 pm

It's time for all men to head to the kitchen.. dig down deep into your holiday recipes, and bring forth the best!
What are you people doing for the holiday? What are your recipes of choice?? etc. etc.

I/we are heading to the WA. coast. near Copalis/Seabrooke.

I am desperately seeking a killer recipe for stuffing/dressing. of course all the other side dishes too... Gimee what you got.:chef: :chef:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

dicinu
Commander

RE:Thanksgiving recipes,, bring 'em on

Post by dicinu » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:19 pm

my favorite stuffing is corn stuffing crumbs farmer johns sauages links celery onions and apple sauce.

cut onions and celery how ever you like them
cook sauage fully cut them as small or as large as you want
mix with corn bread crumbs add applesauce
stuff in turkey and let it cook comes out moist (not soggy) and tastey

my other favorite the we call it the heart attack lol

1. minute rice
2. chopped broc.
3. onions chopped
4. cheese whiz
5. cream of chicken soup

heat 2 -5 in a sause pan nice and hot turn stove off mix # 1 in the pot for few mins

place in stove until top boils and gets golden brown
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:43 am

My fav stuffing is stovetop cranberry flavor which I can only find this time of year and at Wal-Mart. I follow the directions on the box. I don't cook it in the bird. It goes in the microwave.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:39 pm

I make two items for T.D. I make my red hot pepper jelly,and olde fashioned Pecan Pie.I take alot of pickled stuff I make all summer.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Deka
Petty Officer

Post by Deka » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Cinnamom Apple Rings are a wonderful treat with T-day dinner. They add spice and color.

Deka

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:34 pm

The main dish gets the special treatment in our house. A medium sized turkey will be soaked for 2 days in a brine that includes garlic cloves, rosemary and cracked black pepper corns. The turkey is then removed from the brine and hung up to dry for a day in the gargage before going into the Brinkman the morning of Thanksgiving. A few handfulls of alder and hickory chips during the 4 hour cooking time and you have one tasty bird!

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:22 am

Deep fried turkey baby! A 14-16lb bird injected with 16oz of butter, garlic, and some cajun spices. Then rub the whole bird with more cajun spices. Let sit overnight in the fridge. 49 minutes in peanut oil at 350 degrees baby.

If any of you have not tried this... ohhh man!... you will never eat a turkey out of the oven again... guaranteed!

Just remember... do it outside in the driveway... not on a deck or any other flamable places. Turn the flame OFF before putting the bird in the oil. Make sure you only fill the pot 1/3 full of oil prior to putting the bird in also... you dont need that oil to overflow!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:35 am

Jaksonbrown wrote:Deep fried turkey baby! A 14-16lb bird injected with 16oz of butter, garlic, and some cajun spices. Then rub the whole bird with more cajun spices. Let sit overnight in the fridge. 49 minutes in peanut oil at 350 degrees baby.

If any of you have not tried this... ohhh man!... you will never eat a turkey out of the oven again... guaranteed!

Just remember... do it outside in the driveway... not on a deck or any other flamable places. Turn the flame OFF before putting the bird in the oil. Make sure you only fill the pot 1/3 full of oil prior to putting the bird in also... you dont need that oil to overflow!
High five brutha! Nothing like it..Had one done at my house for the 4th- OMG! :cheers:
"One more......."

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:47 am

Do any of you brine your turkeys and if so, what are you using?

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:57 am

scott080379 wrote:Do any of you brine your turkeys and if so, what are you using?
I had only recently heard about brined turkeys. It seems like an easy way to ruin the end product. Done right it is probably delicious, but I bet it could turn out like poop pretty easily.

I will be making salmon spread and baquettes for a football snack. I don't really have a recipe for my spread, I just mix my home made smoked fish with cream chease, mayo, and green onions till I get the right consistency. Everyone always loves it and it is simple to make :cheers:..... no one has to know its CHUM!!! lol
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:13 am

I have brined a turkey for the past 4 years and thought it was odd when I first heard about it. It comes out amazing though. So juicey and tender, the biggest issue is salt content of the brine just like any other brine. Nobody likes a salty bird.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:05 am

scott080379 wrote:Do any of you brine your turkeys and if so, what are you using?
Water, salt, some garlic and rosemary... and a bottle of white or light pink wine.

All in a 5 gallon bucket with the bird for 24 hours.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:35 am

scott080379 wrote:I have brined a turkey for the past 4 years and thought it was odd when I first heard about it. It comes out amazing though. So juicey and tender, the biggest issue is salt content of the brine just like any other brine. Nobody likes a salty bird.
Yah that's exactly what I was thinking, it could easily come out as a salt stick!
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:45 am

Ever had smoked chicken from Cave Man in Kent? Soaking a bird properly cures the meat a bit so you end up with a firmer yet juicy end product. As a good portion of the meat is cured, you need to reduce the cooking time and check the internal temp regularly. I use a Brinkman barrel smoker and started out by following the instructions that came with the unit. Since then I've done this at least a dozen more times and have had no problems. I'll do this with chicken as well and serve it as an appetizer if we have a large gathering.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:54 am

Rich McVey wrote:
Water, salt, some garlic and rosemary... and a bottle of white or light pink wine.

All in a 5 gallon bucket with the bird for 24 hours.
nice and simple.

my fave is 3/4 water, 1/4 orange juice, orange peel, rosemary, salt, garlic, pepper. Boil it all up let cool throw bird in for 24 hours in the fridge. If you can't fit it in the fridge, double up a brine bag and throw it in a cooler with ice.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Matt wrote:
scott080379 wrote:I have brined a turkey for the past 4 years and thought it was odd when I first heard about it. It comes out amazing though. So juicey and tender, the biggest issue is salt content of the brine just like any other brine. Nobody likes a salty bird.
Yah that's exactly what I was thinking, it could easily come out as a salt stick!
Never had that problem. I dont use much salt. High blood pressure...

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Wow this thread has me hungry!

One helper to the stuffing if you like the soft flavorful stuff (especially if it can't make it into the bird) is to add a little bit of chicken broth in with the other ingredients.
I don't like butter much so my wife uses chicken broth and a little water to soften up what doesn't make it into the bird. She cooks a ton of stuffing knowing I will eat it 'til it is gone. Just puts it in the oven for awhile and turns on the broiler briefly at the end to add a slight crunch to the outer top part of the stuffing that is cooked separately from the turkey.

G-Man has me a little tempted to try the Brinkmann. Maybe next year after I try a couple chickens for experimenting:cheers: May have to drop by Caveman Kitchens too for a go at their smoked chicken one of these days.

In the meantime, my only cooking chores (woohoo!) will be to maybe help mince up some of the stuff going into the stuffing and doing up a little more smoked salmon as a side dish. It'll just be 4 of us with a 17 pound bird! Hoping for about 15 pounds of stuffing LOL!:-"
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 am

I just finnished the apple crisps this AM. Im ready. Nothing to do but fish and eat. Gonna hit the Green.Ifin you see a Red Toyota PU stop by and say hello.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:05 pm

racfish wrote:I just finnished the apple crisps this AM. Im ready. Nothing to do but fish and eat. Gonna hit the Green.Ifin you see a Red Toyota PU stop by and say hello.
What ever happened to procrastination? We are fisherpeople and have a rep to uphold! You know, I'd rather fish than (fill in the blank). I think your sister back east with her culinary skills is disrupting your inner fishing beast.

Good luck on the water!:cheers:
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:27 pm

bird is in the brine!!!!:chef:
fish on!

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”