Sewer outfalls

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Sewer outfalls

Post by Splitshot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:51 pm

I'm always looking for places to bank fish. I noticed some good ones on the lower Snohomish as I-5 crosses it. And then saw the treatment plant on the other side. Found a map for comon sewer outfalls (CSO's) which are designed to dump sewage and storm runoff into the Snohomish River and Gardner Bay when it rains. All waste goes to the treatment plant on a dry day.

Would knowing this stop you from taking fish from these waters back to your table. I hear people take Sturgeon from these areas.?

Outfall map

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

RE:Sewer outfalls

Post by Splitshot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:30 am

Must have been a little too much reality. :-&

Sorry about that.

DoubleR
Petty Officer

Post by DoubleR » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:44 am

I've noticed that there seems to be a lot more brown trout in the river below an outfall. But they seem to have lock jaw.

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:15 am

wait am I hearing brown trout in the Snohomish river?
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:43 am

Lumpy back brown "trout".
Life's short - fish hard!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:25 am

I hear they taste like crap. :-"

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Lol, to answer your question REALISTICALLY I would say that any anadromous fish taken from the system should be fine to eat. Salmon, steelhead, dollys, and trout spend small amounts of time in the estuary when returning as adults so I wouldn't be too concerned with eating those guys.

I definitely would NOT eat any species of ground fish out of the brackish lower sections of the river, but then again I don't eat any ground fish out of the sound due to pollutants and parasites either. I would steer clear of flounder, sculpins, etc. out of the sloughs and lower river.

Sturgeon offer more of a dilemma. They mainly eat carrion and small crustaceans that spend their lives rooting around in the loose sedimentary layer on the bottom which is where a lot of contaminants also like to accumulate, and they live for a LONG time. Generally, the keeper sized sturgeon are likely 12-25 years old. Although they enter the estuaries to feed, they spend most of their lives out in the sound, and possibly even out in open water. It is speculated that no populations of sturgeon actually breed in PS waters, but in fact they migrate back to either the Fraser system in Canada or the Big C to do the dirty before migrating back into PS to feed. I would say that eating Sturgeon out of the Snoho, Stilly, and Skag system is probably fine IN MODERATION and due to the fact that the yearly limit on them is only 2 fish this shouldn't be a problem. As is the case with most fish in polluted areas nowadays if you keep your consumption at moderate levels the deleterious compounds found in the fish's flesh don't have to opportunity to accumulate to dangerous levels in the body.

Personally, I see the Puget Sound sturgeon as a real gift and don't really advocate keeping and eating them. They offer a great catch and release fishery, but it would be pretty easy for people to get really excited and over fish them.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:13 pm

Great answer Matt- thanks.

The others where funny though, I didn't see that coming.
Maybe they should rename them s'turd'geon...
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:04 am

In the Seattle area in which I live sewer back ups go into Lk Wa.Just recently they closed off a sewer backfllow pipe. City and State govt make it a real hush hush situation. Alot of bodies of water get sewer backups.Salmon caught in the Duwamish taste like the Duwamish. Those fish I give away.Lower Snohomish is the same thing.I've seen the lower Columbia strewn with sludge and oils too. Until our govt fines and shuts down business violators it will not get better.Fineing Boeing 10 grand dosent even phase them. Its a write off for them.Fineing Lone Star for the continued lime runoff into the river gets a minimal fine and continues on dumping.Tug companies,Container ships and so on pollute the waters as well.Do we stop business to stop pollution or do we want big business in the N.W.?
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:51 am

Industrial pollution sounds a lot worse than sewage or storm water. But people flush a lot more down the crapper than just "Brown trout". I grew up in a time when people used to dump their used motor oil down the storm drain. Thank God times have changed but we could really use an on-going public awareness campaign. With state budgets the way they are, it's not going to happen any time soon.

My brother used to work at Glacier Northwest (concrete) under the West Seattle bridge. I know the EPA watched them like a hawk, waiting to swoop down with heavy fines if they spilled a drop of waste water into the Duwamish.

Industrial waste is bad- no argument there. But I think there needs to be a balance between human activity and environmental protection. The decision not to salt Seattle’s streets during the winter of ’08 and the states decision to purchase Maury Island to prevent the continued gravel pit operations are examples of “feel good” versus common sense. IMO. (Sorry, starting to stray political here. )
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Aside form all of that stuff stormwater runoff is usually diverted right into nearby water bodies and that stuff picks up ever piece of crap off the road and peoples yards (fertilizer is a beast) and carries it right into the water. If you are ever fishing below a bridge check out the holes that drain straight through from the road into the water, makes me cringe every time.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

cudaman
Warrant Officer

Post by cudaman » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:27 pm

outfalls can be good
Attachments
DSCN0275.JPG
DSCN0275.JPG (78.91 KiB) Viewed 2634 times