Ice Reports

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Ice Reports

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:31 pm

I thought I would get the topic started up again like last year. Please report ice thickness/ strength and if you wet a line or not. Spokane area is supposed to be cold for about a week so I'm crossing my fingers that some of the lakes will strart to get a little cold...please oh please...

ice seaker
Petty Officer

RE:Ice Reports

Post by ice seaker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:38 am

aaron42ash wrote:I thought I would get the topic started up again like last year. Please report ice thickness/ strength and if you wet a line or not. Spokane area is supposed to be cold for about a week so I'm crossing my fingers that some of the lakes will strart to get a little cold...please oh please...
i second that and hope it happens very soon.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:41 pm

hey check this guy out on eBay... seller name is "kwkfsh" They have some great ice jigs that I've used in the past and I think that they lowered their prices a bit too. You can also do a search for ice jigs and they have a ton of the search results. Great assortments and colors for Spokane area lakes.

BMGW
Petty Officer

Post by BMGW » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Me thinks this just might be a good year for ice. Now if the dollar will hold up maybe we will be able to afford to go, but things sure are looking dark on the exchange. I think the fools in Washington just might have found a way to sink the ship with projections coming out that the dollar will loose 50% of it's value before next years end... We all just may have to fish just to survive...

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:13 pm

aaron42ash wrote:hey check this guy out on eBay... seller name is "kwkfsh" They have some great ice jigs that I've used in the past and I think that they lowered their prices a bit too. You can also do a search for ice jigs and they have a ton of the search results. Great assortments and colors for Spokane area lakes.
Wholesale Sports(formerly Sportsman Warehouse)has these same jigs for ice fishing. Not sure if they put them out yet, but they charge about 50 cents per jig if I remember correctly. Will have to double check this week.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Wholesale Sports(formerly Sportsman Warehouse)has these same jigs for ice fishing. Not sure if they put them out yet, but they charge about 50 cents per jig if I remember correctly. Will have to double check this week.
Thanks, that would actually be ideal. There are always just a few in the kit that I don't use. Others, like the chartreuse and the firetiger are lost, or used until the paint comes off :) The #8-#10 teardrop seem to be the best for the rig that I use, sometimes the "perch" style jig in the same size.

What do you all use for the crappies? I have had some success with larger sizes in similar colors to what I use fo perch, and alos with the "flying spoons" in silver and silver/chartreuse. Looking to just try something new maybe...i dunno...
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:57 am

If there weather man is to be believed: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWA0422

Then I might be ice fishing a week from today on Black Friday. Next week is supposed to be below freezing for five days straight.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:43 pm

I got one lake froze over that I can fish here in SE WY heading up there tomorrow!
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:54 pm

fishaholictaz wrote:I got one lake froze over that I can fish here in SE WY heading up there tomorrow!
Lucky duck - have a good time and post some pics so we can live vicariously. [thumbsup]

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:10 pm

Eloika has a crust... it's extra crispy. Tonight -12 degree projection.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:31 pm

where's panfisher? he makes some very creative and effective jigs.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:54 pm

aaron42ash wrote:Eloika has a crust... it's extra crispy. Tonight -12 degree projection.
Crust.. you say? I-5 has some CRUST. I had a 3.5 hour commute from Tacoma to Seattle, thought I was going to meet Jesus on the way at a couple of different points!!
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:12 pm

is the only Ice fishing on the east side of the state?
sorry for the question being this is I guess my first true winter lol vegas all my life in the 30's is the average temp lol
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:12 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
aaron42ash wrote:Eloika has a crust... it's extra crispy. Tonight -12 degree projection.
Crust.. you say? I-5 has some CRUST. I had a 3.5 hour commute from Tacoma to Seattle, thought I was going to meet Jesus on the way at a couple of different points!!
I was afraid you might need to take a spot in the line brother. Traveled from Spokane to Yakima today and the pucker marks in my seat may never come out.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:
I was afraid you might need to take a spot in the line brother. Traveled from Spokane to Yakima today and the pucker marks in my seat may never come out.
:compress: :rendeer: :bounce:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:03 pm

dicinu wrote:is the only Ice fishing on the east side of the state?
sorry for the question being this is I guess my first true winter lol vegas all my life in the 30's is the average temp lol
For the most part,the answer is yes. Western Washington's winter climate is rather mild. We will at times get ice over
on some small lakes that "may" be safe but that is rare. The only thing that is common over here is lakes that look safe but become news worthy when some kid falls through,this is very common on the westside of the Cascades.
Depending on species,you can try some alpine lakes but most will require a bit of a hike and certainly carry necessary
safety gear such as extra food,clothes,etc,etc just in case

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:54 pm

thanks kevin althought I rather not hike in the snow and risk it lol I will play the safe card and fish the small lake across the street from my house. from the banks
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Not a problem at all. Pretty much the alpine lakes carry a variety of trout species. However,there are a select few that were stocked with grayling a few years back. Not sure which ones or if they are still present but certainly would be a cool fish to add to the list. Maybe someone can jump in if they know more about this.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:52 am

LOL I love WY for that reason to Quad (everyone for the most part knows how to drive in it around here...) I ended up icing 5 little trout at 9,000' yesterday:cheers:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

caskillet
Petty Officer

Post by caskillet » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:01 am

How about it - any ice out there yet?