Whats up with the Jack Holes at the cow

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
chum77
Petty Officer

RE:Whats up with the Jack Holes at the cow

Post by chum77 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:12 pm

i think having a leader length of of over three feet your a flosser, and i i also think if your not drifting bait with your rig your a flosser as will my own opinion but thats just how it is looked at now a days with all these idiots out there posting videos of them selfs giving flossing lessons. I never fish corkies anymore but i do drift and float a lot of eggs and if there are fish down there they will hit and you will know it, no need to drift threw a hole and set the hook three or four times threw because thats just being a dirty snagger. I know this whole topic is just beating a dead horse but everytime i come accross it i just feel the need to beat the hell out of it some more because it just gets under the skin of any true fishermen.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:28 pm

chum77 wrote:i think having a leader length of of over three feet your a flosser, and i i also think if your not drifting bait with your rig your a flosser as will my own opinion but thats just how it is looked at now a days with all these idiots out there posting videos of them selfs giving flossing lessons. I never fish corkies anymore but i do drift and float a lot of eggs and if there are fish down there they will hit and you will know it, no need to drift threw a hole and set the hook three or four times threw because thats just being a dirty snagger. I know this whole topic is just beating a dead horse but everytime i come accross it i just feel the need to beat the hell out of it some more because it just gets under the skin of any true fishermen.
I've seen guys fly fishing for Chums at Kennedy Creek last year. They were using Nymphs. What say you? :scratch: :scratch:
"One more......."

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:48 pm

chum77 wrote:i think having a leader length of of over three feet your a flosser, and i i also think if your not drifting bait with your rig your a flosser as will my own opinion but thats just how it is looked at now a days with all these idiots out there posting videos of them selfs giving flossing lessons. I never fish corkies anymore but i do drift and float a lot of eggs and if there are fish down there they will hit and you will know it, no need to drift threw a hole and set the hook three or four times threw because thats just being a dirty snagger. I know this whole topic is just beating a dead horse but everytime i come accross it i just feel the need to beat the hell out of it some more because it just gets under the skin of any true fishermen.
Well All them years I finally found out Im not a flosser. According to the rules in the book scents are considered bait. There for when Im drifting my corkies yarn w/scent Im not flossing or a snagger. Thank you for giving me the info. And what makes a fisherman a true fisherman? Im just making sure. Is it fishing 1-4 days a week for years. Maybe fishing for more then a certain amount of years? Is it catching fish in more then one style of water? Is it catching a fish with multiple types of presentations in a day. Alot of people that cant drift a corkie switch to different styles in order to try and catch fish. Its ok that you had to try a different presentation. I recommend everyone try new things till you get to something that works for you. I dont just drift. I use spinners, spoons, eggs, bobber and jig, we back bounce and side drift as well, but only when my cuz brings out the sled. This thread wasnt supposed to be about is someone flossing, or using bait or not. It was because people was keeping snagged fish. SNAGGED as in not in the mouth the cheek the snout the eye the top of the head the gill plate. It was in the freaking back and the tail or a fin. I found out that the guys on the rocks decided as a collective whole that theyd keep any landed fish foul or not until light. This is what I was saying in the begining. Those that decided this are going against the rules. Flossing is not against the rules. Using corkies are not against the rules. Using a long leader is not against the rules. As a matter of fact whats funny is that it is illegal to have a short leader but not a long one. HMMMMM seems they feel that a short leader is more a snagging tool then a long one? I dunno. Anyhow Im patiently awaiting the answers of the elitist baiter. Maybe according to your answers I can too be a true fisherman.
More fish please!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:51 pm

jens wrote:
I've seen guys fly fishing for Chums at Kennedy Creek last year. They were using Nymphs. What say you? :scratch: :scratch:

Snaggers! Everyone at kennedy creek is snaggers. They arent using bait. Did any of them get arrested for indecent exposure jens? Maybe I should get a Nymph and try her out. Does it work?
More fish please!

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:51 pm

I find it funny how people claim to be true fisherman when they fish with eggs/spinners/spoons/jigs, but when every once in a while when they do fish with corkies, they wait until the fish voluntarily take it and set the hook in the mouth. What a load of crap. Its like saying your turd doesn't smell and mine does, what, do I have that backward, wait who really gives a turd. Exactly, as long as you fish the way your comfortable with and are catching fish, let it be. You see snagging and keeping fouled hooked fish will get you a ticket, but flossing won't. I rather not have to worry about whether I'm getting a ticket and fish legally, its not worth it.

I think if everyone would admit they're flosser, the river would be a better place. I will start, I am a flosser too and yes I do fish with spoons, spinners, eggs too. What ever method catches fish as long as its legal is what I'm going to use.

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:03 pm

ha ha ha ha i guess you can lead a horse to water but you make him drink...well it was worth a shot

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:06 pm

Man how am I to know if Im a true fisherman now? Maybe I can Bing it.
More fish please!

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:14 pm

flinginpooh wrote:Man how am I to know if Im a true fisherman now? Maybe I can Bing it.
True fisherman = wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, for the fish to voluntarily bite your corky. Voila your a true fisherman.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:32 pm

flinginpooh wrote:
jens wrote:

Snaggers! Everyone at kennedy creek is snaggers. They arent using bait. Did any of them get arrested for indecent exposure jens? Maybe I should get a Nymph and try her out. Does it work?
You and kinghunter left your lures on the bank. I want to add some yarn to it to liven it up some, what do you think? How long of a leader should I use again? [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [drool]
Attachments
flosser_2010.jpg
flosser_2010.jpg (60.62 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:48 pm

HAHAHAHA. Good fishing with ya jinxer. We shoulda went to the cow though. Atleast then we coulda caught a few boots atleast. I just ordered up some more of them custom lures off ebay jens you can keep that one lol. Oh and no leader at all. Tie straight to 65lb braid main line and FISH ON. ha
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:51 pm

flinginpooh wrote:HAHAHAHA. Good fishing with ya jinxer. We shoulda went to the cow though. Atleast then we coulda caught a few boots atleast. I just ordered up some more of them custom lures off ebay jens you can keep that one lol. Oh and no leader at all. Tie straight to 65lb braid main line and FISH ON. ha
So if it is less than 3ft, I am not a flosser? :cheers: whew, I'd hate to be considered a dirty snagger. :-" :-$
"One more......."

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:08 pm

jens wrote:
flinginpooh wrote:
jens wrote: I've seen guys fly fishing for Chums at Kennedy Creek last year. They were using Nymphs. What say you? :scratch: :scratch:

You and kinghunter left your lures on the bank. I want to add some yarn to it to liven it up some, what do you think? How long of a leader should I use again? [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [drool]
You just let our secret out. 8/0 treble hook with a lead wrap. Now everyone will be using it. Thanks Man!!

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:11 pm

kinghunter wrote:
jens wrote:
flinginpooh wrote:

You just let our secret out. 8/0 treble hook with a lead wrap. Now everyone will be using it. Thanks Man!!
Aha! So that is the secret scent jens adds to his egg cures.... LEAD WRAP SCENT LOL.

Jens: under 3 ft= snagger. Over 3 ft = flosser so pick yer poison sir#-o

Personally I'd give jacksonbrown a break here since he's new to river salmon fishing and was tyring to play the unenviable position of devil's advocate.
I too floss salmon in the rivers though. Some do it and don't even realize it as people have mentioned. I stood next to a guy casting a piece of chartreuse yarn on a hook drift fishing over a fish we could both see in clear water. I watched him and the fish from a higher angle. He cast upstream of the fish, the offering was on the far side of the fish, then the fish spooked and ran. When that happened, that piece of yarn zipped up to the fish's mouth fast and he didn't even have to set the hook. My friend netted the fish, it was in the mouth around the gumline but it held. Guy looks over at my friend and said something to the effect "Did you see that vicious strike? That fish was pissed" LOL. The fish was seriously spooked from being bombed all day probably.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure