Whats up with the Jack Holes at the cow

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dmangler69
Petty Officer

RE:Whats up with the Jack Holes at the cow

Post by dmangler69 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:
flinginpooh wrote:^5 bassturd Thats what Im saying. I have 5 kids, and would love to keep all the fish I hook. IN the past 3 weeks Ive hooked over 100 fish. Around half of those was either broke off cause I noticed they was foul hooked or I landed them foul and let go. The others was landed fair but 2 dark to keep in my opinion. Then there was 2 silvers. Nice bright and clean as can be. 1 hooked in the toungue, and the other right in the upper jaw. Those are the only 2 I kept. What kind of an example would I be setting for my kids if I took fish that was unlawfully hooked. I may as well tell my kids, hey if theres noone to catch ya its ok, cheat on that test. +1 for character Jackson. And you just started on the site with soo many ?s asked.
Hey Pooh,

Im not sure if your slamming me or not, perhaps im not reading your post correctly. I for one am against snagging as I said in my post. I dont think it is very sportsman like at all. I dont think its right at all and have never, nor would ever do it. I was just trying to spur peoples thoughts and opinions on the subject. Its pretty hard to see all those dead fish laying everywhere going to waste.
But now that you brought it up...:-" :-k you say you have caught over 100 fish, half of those you foul hooked. Arent you basically snagging these fish with the hopes that you snag them in the mouth?? Its honorable that you let the foul hooked ones go per the law, but your entire objective is to snag one in the head.... Correct? I mean, in all of my days of fishing with plugs, spinners, bait, etc... I have never foul hooked a fish. So whatever method you are using, considering you foul hook half the fish you catch, must be a snagging method.
So if your so against snagging... why participate in this kind of fishing?8-[
Maybe his leader was too long? Hooking over 100 fish and only hooking 2 in the mouth? What I have seen at barrier on monday, everyone besides guys tossing eggs could be considered fishing in my opinion, the rest were snagging. Awful.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takes one to know one

code3daddy
Petty Officer

Post by code3daddy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:47 pm

When the fish are stacked in and you are drifting any hookset can snag a fish. It's not the intent, but bump bump tug and set. If you miss fish A in the mouth chances are high that you snag fish B in the flank. It's just the way it is. The fish dont just take the bait and run like trout or bass. So when you feel em you have to set it hard and sometimes misses turn into snagged fish.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:46 pm

[/quote]

Maybe his leader was too long? Hooking over 100 fish and only hooking 2 in the mouth? What I have seen at barrier on monday, everyone besides guys tossing eggs could be considered fishing in my opinion, the rest were snagging. Awful. [/quote]

I dont foul hook fish on purpose. When your drift fishing from shore you will feel bottom of course. Then you feel different things. My rods are sensitive enough I feel a leaf hit my line like a freight train. I feel a bump thats not the bottom bouncing Im gonna set the hook. 2 in the mouth? I said that out of the fish Ive caught 2 was silvers and chrome one at that. Please read before you try and put things the wrong way about me. Ive hooked many fish there. Who wouldnt. The boots are so think in there right now you can feel one almost every cast, and I was fishing by the boat launch. I hooked many fish in the mouth while there. I will not bring home dark mushy meat. Have at it if you wanna bring that to your house. I dont, and will not. I totally stopped posting my trips because of the same crap in that part of the site. Talk about catching a bunch of fish and you must be doing this or that. Why would I post a damn thread about how I was pissed people was snagging fish and keeping them if I was trying to snag fish? Cmon and read a post if your gonna post replies on it.
More fish please!

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:12 am

You tell 'em pooh!
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:58 am

If you go to a place that is a known combat hole...i mean really what do you expect ? They should just not allow any fishing at the damn anyways...i dont know there is just something about rapeing spawning beds that gets me. Id say scout your own spots stay off spawning beds and the fishing is much more rewarding.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:10 am

The point poo, is that I brought up a question to provoke thoughts about the right or wrongs of snagging fish, whether it be on purpose or accident, and the possibility of keeping them, or letting them go, potentially to waste if you will. I was not stating that I was in favor of this kind of fishing, or against it, just asking for thoughts. You come back and say.....,

"+1 for character Jackson. And you just started on the site with soo many ?s asked."
Along with a bunch of diatribe about comparing this type of fishing to cheating on a school test, etc....

My question to you was this.... if you think that this kind of fishing is so appalling, and my even suggesting that one might keep a fish, and question my character for it....But you admitt that you snag and injure dozens and dozens of fish for every one that you actually hook by some miracle, legally. Then why do you do it? I mean, last weekend while I was there, I watched 30-50 bankies pull in fish after fish after fish all accidentally foul hooked..of course.:^o Sure, most of them let them go, but what the heck are you doing to the fish? How many times are these fish being hooked and released a day? And lets be honest, unless your drifting eggs... Your not side drifting and accidentally foul hooking fish. [-( Give me a break!.... your flossing dozens and dozens of fish attempting to snag one in the head. To call it anything else is utter BS.

Seems to me it would make more sence to make a rule that if you foul hooked a fish, you could keep that 1 fish, but you then had to then quite fishing for the day. More success, less fish injured, less yahoos out there spending the day snagging and injuring fish after fish praying they snag one in the head.

But hey... just my opinion.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

code3daddy
Petty Officer

Post by code3daddy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:06 am

"""And lets be honest, unless your drifting eggs... Your not side drifting and accidentally foul hooking fish. Give me a break!.... your flossing dozens and dozens of fish attempting to snag one in the head. To call it anything else is utter BS.""""

Is this now an argument on bait vs lures? Not to put words in your mouth Jaksonbrown, but are you suggesting that drifters are snaggers and egg tossers aren't. I saw egg tossers snagging fish at Barrier just the same. The fish are stacked in there and when they miss a hook set on one they snag the next. Also, every snagged or foul hooked fish I saw was released without actually touching the fish so the fish are fine. It's not a matter of mortality rates. Also to imply that a single fish is hooked more than once a day is somewhat ridiculous since the last I heard the hatchery had 10,000 fish enter there pens last week. There are more than 20 or 30 fish stacked in there. There are thousands. What are the odds that someone can actually pull the same fish in twice in a day?

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:22 am

code3daddy wrote:"""And lets be honest, unless your drifting eggs... Your not side drifting and accidentally foul hooking fish. Give me a break!.... your flossing dozens and dozens of fish attempting to snag one in the head. To call it anything else is utter BS.""""

Is this now an argument on bait vs lures? Not to put words in your mouth Jaksonbrown, but are you suggesting that drifters are snaggers and egg tossers aren't. I saw egg tossers snagging fish at Barrier just the same. The fish are stacked in there and when they miss a hook set on one they snag the next. Also, every snagged or foul hooked fish I saw was released without actually touching the fish so the fish are fine. It's not a matter of mortality rates. Also to imply that a single fish is hooked more than once a day is somewhat ridiculous since the last I heard the hatchery had 10,000 fish enter there pens last week. There are more than 20 or 30 fish stacked in there. There are thousands. What are the odds that someone can actually pull the same fish in twice in a day?
No, not an argument.. But if your actually using bait, its a little more of an attempt to legally catch a fish than just a weight and 6 feet of leader and a corkey on a hook. Also, just saying that if your snagging 50 fish accidentally for every fish legally hooked, your not fishing, or drifting, or whatever you call it.... your flossing and praying you snag one in the head.

The question I put to the forum, once again, was ..... why not keep a snagged fish instead of letting them go to waste? Is snagging 50 fish before you get lucky enough to snag one in the head any better of an idea?

My dissagreement with Poo is that I dont think it is any different as far as integrity, or sportsmanship, or whatever you want to label it,.. goes, to keep the first fish you snag and go home, than snagging 50 fish in an attempt to get one in the head. I mean... whats the difference other than injuring dozens of fish (and dont tell me if you hook one in the gut your not injuring the fish, or stressing an already stressed fish, etc.) until you get lucky enough to get one legal?

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm

i agree with jacksonbrown using bait really is the only way to actualy try and catch these fish legal, becasue of the mass crowds of people who think that string three or more corkies together and have there "Secret corkie color" it just does not work unless you are drifting eggs man. I just feel bad for the people who actualy fish corkies right and now they have to switch to diffrent tactics in shame of being tagged as a snagger or flosser. Granted fishing with spiners and spoons is very very effective but even that is being abused by bunch of low lives out there its sickining as hell. I want everyone on hear to check this link out of this jack ass flossing fish and thinking he is a real bad ass this is what im talking about Y8iz3u5_djU this guy and people like him are the people who should never be allowed to fish again. Im sick of this trash being on the river.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Jackson, Ill make this real easy. You see my avatar pic. I fish at the puyallup the skok the cow the carbon the green usually. You see me there come talk to me. Dont take this as a threat thats not the intent. But I wanna watch you fish and see you in action. I know from your posts that your not an all knowing fisherman. You actually dont seem like you have much of a clue from many of the posts I seen you put up. But hey not everyone grew up on rivers in this area.
More fish please!

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Alright guys we get the point snagging is not only illegal but against mosts morals, now lets try and keep this site about reports and useful information not useless posts picking at each others philosophies...

NathanD
Petty Officer

Post by NathanD » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:

if your actually using bait, its a little more of an attempt to legally catch a fish than just a weight and 6 feet of leader and a corkey on a hook.
IMO That is an ignorant statement.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:41 pm

This part of the website isnt for reports though brian. And I knew that I thought it was funny when I seen talk of bait is the only way to go.

And I quote "Yea, I do hope to get some fish, but this is more of a learning adventure. I have been on the river for weeks now trying everything I have read and learned with NADA results. Its time to bring in the pros! I love the suggestion to let Rob do some fishing and just watch. I didnt think about that. Good advice! Thank you. Hopefully Ill have some great photos to share after we are done.
Topic: Best store bought eggs.....
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:08:04 PM
I havent fished with either shrimp or eggs actually. Im just learning the rivers this fall, but have heard that they have just been slaying the silvers and kings on the Hump back bouncing eggs."

Its ok if someone new to river fishing has ?s Id be more then happy to help out. But man when someone tries to down play years of river fishing and Hasnt even spent a full season fishing a river, it kinda rubs me wrong. Ok so I definately dont wanna see ya fish. I know I can learn nada. But if you can pull your head out I can get ya into fish. I fish for fun and relaxation but I catch fish.
More fish please!

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:41 pm

My simple rule:

If it is legally caught per the regs, way to go! If not, put it back. I don't care what caught it:)

Oh, and boots are OK to keep too if they are consumed/used by the person catching them. At the same time I hold bait salmon fishin' dudes in the highest regard. Nothing worng with any of the others though as long as they're fishing legally/within the regs:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:06 pm

The question I put to the forum, once again, was ..... why not keep a snagged fish instead of letting them go to waste? Is snagging 50 fish before you get lucky enough to snag one in the head any better of an idea?

This would be nice if half of 'em weren't zombie. I got no use for dark fish besides throin' 'em Knotabassturd's way :-" :compress: , I don't have a smoker. True, I'm pickier than most when it comes to chromers, but I'm out there to have fun. I'm a steelhead guy first and foremost, but I hit the rivers hard this year for salmon, combat style at the skoke to wilderness treks with nobody around at the queets. I see the argument agaisnt "flossin" but in fairness, I fish bait almost always. If I want a challenge and an exciting fight I put on a spoon or a spinner. But when you fish gear like that, you're more likely to come up empty unless you're fishing fish that aren't spooked.

Most of the rivers the fish head to the hatchery straight up and stay there until they die. They're spawning and whatnot, but they all hold at the top, especially with the weather like it is. A lot of rivers are private except for a couple locations, mainly next to the hatcheries and you can only get there by a boat. So everybody has to fish at the same spot regardless if they be a bankie.

Now if you get under the water and you watch these fish, they're not biting unless they're pissed off by somethin in their face. Half the time they just wap your weight away with thier tail. When they do eat it, it's a "bump bump bump" because they just chomp on it and stay put, they're holding, spawning, whatever, not gonna do nothin but spawn.

The way I see it, yea, it's easier to floss 'em until you get a bright one in the kisser, but it is a shame to take all that energy from such a big fish that had to work super hard to get there just to not be able to spawn because you worked 'em too hard. If they're spawned out boots, than they've done their work and they're fish food now.

But when you got a hundred guys in a 1/2 mile stretch of river, the fish are going to be spooked, hiding on the shallows of the far bank, not biting. These 100 guys all paid for a fishing license, the tax dollars that support the hatcheries, put the gas in the car to get there they should get a chance at a fish. I mean, the ideal way to do it would be to coordinate and take turns with getting the fish t bite, wait a bit for the rest of 'em to calm down then have the next to guys go and everybody would get a fish fair hooked.

But it's not going to work that way. The bankies are gonna go where the fish are present and chrome and they're gonna terrorize 'em into lockjaw. So, when you can't see the fish but you know that with a long leader and some yarn you can get the line through their teeth as they're sitting there, even though half the time they see it they move out the way, but you can still bring a fish to the bank, and sometimes home I dunno, it's a choice. Harrass the fish or don't. But I've fished bait alongside those guys and I know that I've had it right in front of the fishes face and they're lockjaw. People have been flossin since my grandad fished the cow back in the 20's.

That being said, a small peach corky on a hook will catch fish legal no problems. I've watch it. When the fish aren't spooked they eat it. I've watch a silver come from cover 10 feet away to grab my corky. I use eggs and sand shrimp more because they can smell it better, and they'll eat it, but they will take it. Half my fish come on a corky legal and voluntary. The other half come on eggs and spinners. But I've caught most my chromers on river that weren't being fished by anybody else at the time, at sunrise or in the middle of no where.

I think that salmon brings out the snaggers because flossing is too hard for 'em, but salmon bring out the flossers because we just don't have the time to take turns.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:34 am

flinginpooh wrote:This part of the website isnt for reports though brian. And I knew that I thought it was funny when I seen talk of bait is the only way to go.

And I quote "Yea, I do hope to get some fish, but this is more of a learning adventure. I have been on the river for weeks now trying everything I have read and learned with NADA results. Its time to bring in the pros! I love the suggestion to let Rob do some fishing and just watch. I didnt think about that. Good advice! Thank you. Hopefully Ill have some great photos to share after we are done.
Topic: Best store bought eggs.....
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:08:04 PM
I havent fished with either shrimp or eggs actually. Im just learning the rivers this fall, but have heard that they have just been slaying the silvers and kings on the Hump back bouncing eggs."

Its ok if someone new to river fishing has ?s Id be more then happy to help out. But man when someone tries to down play years of river fishing and Hasnt even spent a full season fishing a river, it kinda rubs me wrong. Ok so I definately dont wanna see ya fish. I know I can learn nada. But if you can pull your head out I can get ya into fish. I fish for fun and relaxation but I catch fish.

Poo, your 100% correct. =d&gt] [omg] and having my guide explain to me what flossing is and pointing out all the guys doing it and then watching it for 8 hours myself.... and your own admission to foul hooking fish on a 40-50/1 ratio for every legal hooked fish? There has to be a better way than participating in this debacle whether it be changing the regs or eliminating it all together...IMO.....Hence my question of perhaps allowing a fish to be kept foul hooked instead of foul hooking dozens and dozens of them praying to catch one legally.

Thanks for the gracious offer to show me how to catch fish, I appreciate it..... but this kind of fishing, I have no interest in participating in. Ill stick to my boat backtrolling plugs, back bouncing bait and waiting and anticipating that monster takedown, knowing that when I get on one my line...the fight is on. I dont have to drag them ashore asap. I can fight the fish as it was intended.... and.... 99.99999% chance, its legally caught.

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:45 am

chum77 wrote:i agree with jacksonbrown using bait really is the only way to actualy try and catch these fish legal, becasue of the mass crowds of people who think that string three or more corkies together and have there "Secret corkie color" it just does not work unless you are drifting eggs man. I just feel bad for the people who actualy fish corkies right and now they have to switch to diffrent tactics in shame of being tagged as a snagger or flosser. Granted fishing with spiners and spoons is very very effective but even that is being abused by bunch of low lives out there its sickining as hell. I want everyone on hear to check this link out of this jack ass flossing fish and thinking he is a real bad ass this is what im talking about Y8iz3u5_djU this guy and people like him are the people who should never be allowed to fish again. Im sick of this trash being on the river.

LMAO!!! A lesson in how to snag fish!!!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:04 am

See thats where your way wrong. I did not say a 40-50 to 1 ratio foul hooked fish. Its a fifty fifty fouled to legit for me. I had to sort through 1oo or so boots to get 2 nice silvers is what I said. With the river stacked with boot kings its hard to get the silvers. I was saying I was accidentally foul hooking 50% off the fish I brought in. And not everyone was hooking fish the way I was. Most people I watched used too much weight, too long of leaders, Not casting far enough into the lane. I mean the list goes on what people do and dont do. Its not hard to read water once you learn it. It will help alot understanding the path fish should be taking and where they could be holding.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:08 am

chum77 wrote:i agree with jacksonbrown using bait really is the only way to actualy try and catch these fish legal, becasue of the mass crowds of people who think that string three or more corkies together and have there "Secret corkie color" it just does not work unless you are drifting eggs man. I just feel bad for the people who actualy fish corkies right and now they have to switch to diffrent tactics in shame of being tagged as a snagger or flosser. Granted fishing with spiners and spoons is very very effective but even that is being abused by bunch of low lives out there its sickining as hell. I want everyone on hear to check this link out of this jack ass flossing fish and thinking he is a real bad ass this is what im talking about Y8iz3u5_djU this guy and people like him are the people who should never be allowed to fish again. Im sick of this trash being on the river.
Ouch. This is legal though. I just have trouble believing this fish "BIT" his corky, looks flossed to me. Some of the Salmon I have drifted for this year, the hook was sometimes on the tongue or in the upper jaw. I have an extremely sensitive rod, I can honestly say I felt never felt a Salmon ever aggressively bite my corky as they would bait or hardware.

I personally would have zero problems if this kind of fishing was made illegal, I actually wish they would, because I know how these fish react when they are agressively taking bait, it's a bobber down baby! :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:53 am

I usually try to keep quiet (my daddy always said you got two ears and only one mouth for a reason - to listen twice as much as you talk), but what the heck, I'll jump in here with my experiences and observations. As a disclaimer, I am not an expert and I am not saying I am right or wrong about any of it..

The utube video - The way I learned to set the hook on while drifting was up, not sideways. Sideways hooksets (again IMHO) = floss.

Drifting - I have never hooked a fish anywhere but inside the mouth fishing this way (and yes, I've caught a few). But I also have yet to drift fish where the fish are stacked thick.

Foul hooking - The last pink run I was going to the Sno as often as I could. I was twitching jigs (twitching - like 12", not 4'). Every fish I caught was hooked in the mouth except for one day - on that day a huge school came by and easily 3/4 of the fish I hooked were foul, even though I was using the same technique that in total got me 20 pinks on my catch card. I also saw more others foul hooking than normal that day too (using jigs, spinners, and spoons).

What I deduced from this is that when the fish are stacked you are more likely to foul hook a few.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker