Barrier Dam

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Barrier Dam

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:58 pm

For every one who has been to Barried Dam please help me on this. I live in puyallup and am hittin the cow for the first time. Im either going to hit the Dam or a hole thats close to it. Could someone give me directions to Barrier Dam from puyallup?
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

wndysrf
Angler

RE:Barrier Dam

Post by wndysrf » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:10 pm

try this:
Google maps directions to Barrier Dam

For a little more elbow room (but probably fewer fish), the Blue Creek trout hatchery is about 6 miles west down spencer rd.

Fish em both!

good luck and happy birthday,
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:14 pm

I like to fish blue creek first, more elbow room, but you can't beat the barrier dam. It's a long drive for me, but I grew up there. Bring big cannon balls, I'd go with 3/4 ouces for the meat run up at the top, way less down below, but you can't beat that drift, it's my favorite of all of 'em that I've fished. You can hit into steel at blue creek too.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:24 pm

natetreat wrote:I like to fish blue creek first, more elbow room, but you can't beat the barrier dam. It's a long drive for me, but I grew up there. Bring big cannon balls, I'd go with 3/4 ouces for the meat run up at the top, way less down below, but you can't beat that drift, it's my favorite of all of 'em that I've fished. You can hit into steel at blue creek too.
Thanks, i kind of wanted to hopefully get into some metal to.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:44 pm

You should be fine. You've fished the skoke and dealt with combat fishing enough, just follow the trucks. The google directions he posted will get you there just fine. Remember that the night closure comes off soon and glo-balling is pretty productive out there too, I grew up out there when I was younger and we'd spend all weekend up there when the fish were in. It's an amazing river with thousands more fish in it than any other system, the current is swift though, don't get caught swimming because that'd be awful. It's full of trout too, which are always fun. Last time I was there I couldn't keep the sea run off my corky, but that was a couple months ago. The river is a lot bigger than a lot of the rivers, which is good because holding fish spook less from fishermen, you're more likely to get a monster take than having to resort to flossing the dumb kings. I hope you get some good fish.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 am

natetreat wrote:You should be fine. You've fished the skoke and dealt with combat fishing enough, just follow the trucks. The google directions he posted will get you there just fine. Remember that the night closure comes off soon and glo-balling is pretty productive out there too, I grew up out there when I was younger and we'd spend all weekend up there when the fish were in. It's an amazing river with thousands more fish in it than any other system, the current is swift though, don't get caught swimming because that'd be awful. It's full of trout too, which are always fun. Last time I was there I couldn't keep the sea run off my corky, but that was a couple months ago. The river is a lot bigger than a lot of the rivers, which is good because holding fish spook less from fishermen, you're more likely to get a monster take than having to resort to flossing the dumb kings. I hope you get some good fish.
Thanks Nate,
Ive delt with the cobat fishing alot this year at the skoke. Barrier dam will probably be alot worse. I will give it my best and hopefuly get my limit.

P.S I was reading the regs and I belive I read it that I can catch up to 6 hatchery coho? Did i read it right?

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:18 pm

I think U are right fish bait. Up to 6 hatchery coho at Barrier! So have fun:) Combat fishing sometimes can get on the nerves but just stay patient and keep a levelhead while being friendly IMO. Makes it all more fun. AND LET THEM ALL KNOW IT BE YOUR SWAN SONG/LAST TRIP so they all give you the golden drift spot LOL. Well if they are cool they will.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:34 pm

The only thing I dont like at Barrier is not letting your fish run and take out some line for that good ole wizzzzzzzzzzzzz out the reel. The fun of fishing is the fight. With combat style its hook-up and reel hard. Kinda takes the fun away. JMO.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

knotabassturd wrote:I think U are right fish bait. Up to 6 hatchery coho at Barrier! So have fun:) Combat fishing sometimes can get on the nerves but just stay patient and keep a levelhead while being friendly IMO. Makes it all more fun. AND LET THEM ALL KNOW IT BE YOUR SWAN SONG/LAST TRIP so they all give you the golden drift spot LOL. Well if they are cool they will.
Haha that would be nice to give me the golden spot. Patience will help me catch a fish. Goin_Postal helped me catch my first king, he told me to keep my frustation level down. I tried and I did. Wanted to say some words to the fish though.

code3daddy
Petty Officer

Post by code3daddy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:39 pm

racfish wrote:The only thing I dont like at Barrier is not letting your fish run and take out some line for that good ole wizzzzzzzzzzzzz out the reel. The fun of fishing is the fight. With combat style its hook-up and reel hard. Kinda takes the fun away. JMO.
This is right. At the dam you need to hook em hard and then horse them in. If they make it into the faster water and even get to the rift they're gone and your line could be too. Fish at night there and the action is awesome. During the day the bite slows down. The lower hole is a great drift, but you have to sift through all the boot kings to get that silver. The metal isn't really in at blue creek yet so if you go fish the dam before daylight and then move down to the kalamah (sp) Heard that there is good fishing down there and it's only another half hour or so down the road.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:56 pm

code3daddy wrote:
racfish wrote:The only thing I dont like at Barrier is not letting your fish run and take out some line for that good ole wizzzzzzzzzzzzz out the reel. The fun of fishing is the fight. With combat style its hook-up and reel hard. Kinda takes the fun away. JMO.
This is right. At the dam you need to hook em hard and then horse them in. If they make it into the faster water and even get to the rift they're gone and your line could be too. Fish at night there and the action is awesome. During the day the bite slows down. The lower hole is a great drift, but you have to sift through all the boot kings to get that silver. The metal isn't really in at blue creek yet so if you go fish the dam before daylight and then move down to the kalamah (sp) Heard that there is good fishing down there and it's only another half hour or so down the road.
Yea you gotta pull those guys in quick when it's combat like that. But with a tighter drag and heavier line the fish pull on you harder than they would if they were taking line, so it's give and take. Also being able to fish where you know fish are. The kalama is quite the river, I loved fishing that, but it is more than a half hour down the road from the barrier dam. The steel are really fun, and I heard that it's getting good. I can't get down there mself til next month, but let me know!