Advise for a beginner

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
sellis_414
Commander

Advise for a beginner

Post by sellis_414 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Im looking at getting into fly tying! Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should buy starting out? What kits are better than others... Tools needed... Ect...

Thanks
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

leahcim_dahc
Commander

RE:Advise for a beginner

Post by leahcim_dahc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:15 pm

First thing I would recommend is picking up a couple books from your local library or favorite tackle shop. Once you determine what you want to be tying, then start looking into supplies. Orvis has a book that has a handful of your basic fly patterns, ingredients, and directions for tying them. It's a good book to start with.

I took somewhat of a different approach. By that I mean I ended up wandering through the fly tying section at Cabela's, Sportco, and Sportsman's Warehouse picking here and there grabbing what I thought I was going to need and what looked good. Needless to say, I now have a collection of superfluous bits of fur and feathers I hardly use.

As far as tools go, you can spend a good deal of money for them. There is really no need to buy the uber-fancy rotary vise or tools. A decent bobbin, threader, a bodkin, a pair of straight and curved scissors, and a whip finisher should do you fine.

Cabela's does have decent tool kits for a decent price. However, the vise that come with the kit(s) isn't all that impressive. You're better off spending a few bucks on a reasonable vise...just don't go all crazy, especially if you decide tying isn't your thing. Griffin has a decent entry-level vise for around $85, called the Odyssey Spider. It's a good starter vise and has treated me well.

One other tool that I feel is just as important as a vise...a good lamp. You can find some decent lamps at a local arts and crafts store (i.e.- Michael's, JoAnn Fabric's, etc.) that have a magnifying glass built-in and produce as close to natural light as you can with a fluorescent lamp. It will help you in the end if you can see your fly in somewhat natural light...you'll get a good idea of how it will look to the fish...or should look.

Anyrate, hope that gets you going in the right direction...enjoy! [thumbup]

Links:
The Orvis Fly-Tying Guide
Griffin Fly Tying Vises
Cabela's Deluxe Tool Kit With Case
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Great to see you again Chad!:cheers:

Chad offers some good advise. The Cabela's kit is pretty good for the money. I own the Spider vise and really like it.

As for a book for fly patterns, I would spend some time on the internet and search out tying instructions. The photos are usually great and you have a lot more selections of patterns. Here is a great site for fly patterns with instructions:

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/be ... part13.php

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Im thinking about getting into tying as well. I was just looking at some of cabelas tying kits. There is one that seems pretty nice for $45. It comes with a vise, and all the bobbins, bodkin, hackles pliers, whip finish, ect. There is another kit for $30, it still has a vise and some of the basic tools but the reviews arent too great.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Im thinking about getting into tying as well. I was just looking at some of cabelas tying kits. There is one that seems pretty nice for $45. It comes with a vise, and all the bobbins, bodkin, hackles pliers, whip finish, ect. There is another kit for $30, it still has a vise and some of the basic tools but the reviews arent too great.
The kit I got a couple years ago was the deluxe kit. Had everything I needed...minus a decent vise. The vise is ok...but is quite poor in terms of quality. The handle, which is sort of a cam lever that pulls on the anvil and grabs the hook is made of stamped steel. In time, it will spread apart and the anvil doesn't get a good enough grip on the hooks to hold them steady. To get a good bite on the hook, quite a bit of pressure has to be put on the lever, which doesn't help matters much.

A friend of mine has one that he uses to tie jigs, and it is spread apart, won't hold the hooks and becomes a battle every time he wants to tie something.

In my opinion, the only downside or complaint I would have about those kits is the vise. Other than that, the tools work just fine...

Great to see you again Chad!cheers
Hi, Marc! How's life treating you...?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:33 pm

I've been fine, Chad. My work is slow and hit and miss, but other than that, doing o.k.

You've been over in the Middle East haven't you? Hadn't heard much from you and I was very happy to see you posting again. Hope things are going well for you.[thumbup]
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Nick, Seth-

Post what kind of budget you can work with. Sometimes it is better to buy the tools separately instead of buying a kit. Chad and I can make some suggestions as to what tools to get.

A good vise is important. The Spider mentioned above is a good moderately priced vise. Both Chad and I really like ours.

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:36 am

Hey Seth,
I purchased a Griffin Patriot Cam vise on EBay a couple of years ago. I just bit the bullet and went for it without knowing much about Griffin vises. Turns out that I got lucky and purchased mine for about 1/2 of the MSRP and they carry a lifetime guarantee. I've used it for tying everything from large marabou jigs to small trout pellet flies to use on Rufus Woods. It has been a great vise for me although I think it's jaws would be too large for tying anything super small but that doesn’t matter at my age because I'd have trouble seeing it anyway. Griffin does offer some interchangeable jaws for when you get good at tying and want to tie up some midges on 22 or 24 size hooks.

For you I'd recommend the Griffin Montana Pro II vise and tying kit. (Photo below) You can pick it up for $128.50
For that price you'll get:
MT Pro vise w/pedestal
Standard Scissor
Supreme Bobbin
Regular Hair Evener
Bodkin
Regular Hackle Plier
Rotating Whipfinisher

Here's a link to the Griffin web site:http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 am

Marc Martyn wrote:Nick, Seth-

Post what kind of budget you can work with. Sometimes it is better to buy the tools separately instead of buying a kit. Chad and I can make some suggestions as to what tools to get.

A good vise is important. The Spider mentioned above is a good moderately priced vise. Both Chad and I really like ours.
I haven't really established a budget. I looked online at some vise's and saw that some are spendy which deters me from them obviously... For everything I would say I'd like to stay between $200 and $250.

Fetha Styx Associate

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:54 pm

That's a realistic amount. You should be able to get set up nicely with tools and some starter materials in that price range. I'll start browsing and make some suggestion in that price range.

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Marc, Thanks for investing some time into getting me on my way! I found that vise for $75, I was planning on getting that Orvis book and tool kit Chad recommended. Material wise I fish for trout and steelhead in the Wenatchee area. Flyfishusa.com has a ton of materials I have found. Now its just trying to figure out what I "need."

Thanks again Chad and Marc!

Seth

Fetha Styx Associate

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:29 am

You might try this website for lot's of patterns and how to's. They have the all around site for fly fishing, from instructions to rods reels and how to's. Great site for the beginner to the expert. http://globalflyfisher.com/ . I really like this site and I am sure you will also. They have lot's of instructions for the types of gear you will need for fly tying to rod building. Good luck, Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 pm

sellis_414 wrote:Material wise I fish for trout and steelhead in the Wenatchee area. Flyfishusa.com has a ton of materials I have found. Now its just trying to figure out what I "need."

Seth
Seth, that is an open question. It is like walking into JoAnn's Fabrics and saying I want to sew a dress.

First, you have to decide which patterns you want to tie up. The Orvis book has a lot of patterns, many are probably the most popular patterns. Not knowing what patterns are in the book, it is hard to suggest a specific pattern. The book gives detailed instructions for 16 flies. This will help you learn the basics of fly tying.

The problem I have experience with Orvis patterns, is that what works on the east coast (where Orvis is located) may not work on the west coast. A Tellico is worthless in the Pacific N.W. It caught my eye in the book, but didn't catch any fish in Washington State.

Here is a book that I have and still use frequently. It has a lot of information for a very reasonable price. A great book for a beginner. It also has some Steelhead patterns in the book.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detai ... rt=&page=1

Some old standards that almost always produce are:
Adams
Bivisible
Blue Wing Olive
Royal Coachman
Wooly Bugger
Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear
Prince Nymph
Elk Hair Caddis
Royal Wulff
Black Ant
Partridge Soft Hackles
Zug Bug
Kaufmann's Stone
Pheasant Tail
Water Boatman
Light Olive Damsel Fly nymph
Carey Special
Griffith's Gnat
Stayner's Duck
Renegade

When you decide what you want to tie up, buy the materials for the flies. Start with 2-3 patterns to work on.

If you are in Ellensburg, there are two fly shops in town, Red's Fly Shop and The Evening Hatch. They have a good selection of materials and are of excellent quality. Buying through the internet or a catalog is sometimes a crap shoot. You don't know what quality the materials are.

Remember, you can always ask questions on this forum. There are many experienced fly fisherman and tiers on this site. All of them are more than happy to help you learn.[wink]
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:03 am

Marc's links to FlyAnglersOnLine are excellent links. That's where I learned how to tie flies. Here's another link to the tools you might want.
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/kit/

Here's a link to a great tutorial.
http://kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx

P.S. I use a Dan Vise and really like. They're beefy enough that I can rest my off-hand on it to steady my work. They cost $75-$80 and they too are a rotary vise.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:08 am

Marc Martyn wrote:
sellis_414 wrote:Material wise I fish for trout and steelhead in the Wenatchee area. Flyfishusa.com has a ton of materials I have found. Now its just trying to figure out what I "need."

Seth
Seth, that is an open question. It is like walking into JoAnn's Fabrics and saying I want to sew a dress.

First, you have to decide which patterns you want to tie up. The Orvis book has a lot of patterns, many are probably the most popular patterns. Not knowing what patterns are in the book, it is hard to suggest a specific pattern. The book gives detailed instructions for 16 flies. This will help you learn the basics of fly tying.

The problem I have experience with Orvis patterns, is that what works on the east coast (where Orvis is located) may not work on the west coast. A Tellico is worthless in the Pacific N.W. It caught my eye in the book, but didn't catch any fish in Washington State.

Here is a book that I have and still use frequently. It has a lot of information for a very reasonable price. A great book for a beginner. It also has some Steelhead patterns in the book.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detai ... rt=&page=1

Some old standards that almost always produce are:
Adams
Bivisible
Blue Wing Olive
Royal Coachman
Wooly Bugger
Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear
Prince Nymph
Elk Hair Caddis
Royal Wulff
Black Ant
Partridge Soft Hackles
Zug Bug
Kaufmann's Stone
Pheasant Tail
Water Boatman
Light Olive Damsel Fly nymph
Carey Special
Griffith's Gnat

When you decide what you want to tie up, buy the materials for the flies. Start with 2-3 patterns to work on.

If you are in Ellensburg, there are two fly shops in town, Red's Fly Shop and The Evening Hatch. They have a good selection of materials and are of excellent quality. Buying through the internet or a catalog is sometimes a crap shoot. You don't know what quality the materials are.

Remember, you can always ask questions on this forum. There are many experienced fly fisherman and tiers on this site. All of them are more than happy to help you learn.[wink]
Thanks for the info! I'll look into the book you recommended!

Fetha Styx Associate

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:09 am

Lotech Joe wrote:Marc's links to FlyAnglersOnLine are excellent links. That's where I learned how to tie flies. Here's another link to the tools you might want.
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/kit/

Here's a link to a great tutorial.

P.S. I use a Dan Vise and really like. They're beefy enough that I can rest my off-hand on it to steady my work. They cost $75-$80 and they too are a rotary vise.

I found looked at flyanglersonline and it appeared to be a good informational site! Thank you guys! I'll let you all know my progress!

Seth

Fetha Styx Associate

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:13 pm

It's a good idea to take a fly tying class, most fly shops offer one and there usually pretty cheap. Honestly, I couldn't imagine learning how to tie from scratch. When you first learn, it can be discouraging not being able to tie perfect flies but stick with it. You'll get better :)
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Staying basic is a good way to start. Being patient and having good light helps a lot.

With the internet tutorials and stuff on Youtube, I personally don't necessarily think you need a fly tying class right away or maybe do that if you still struggle after watching some free stuff online IMO.
I started from scratch checking out books from library and trying to follow the pics to tie flies. I concentrated on western US streams patterns both dr yand wet. Trout pattern lake flies too for here in the NW (like woolly bugger).

The quality of materials for some flies can matter like dry fly hackle- high quality hackle can get expensive but you only need a little bit to start. Sometimes you can take some sting out of cost by splitting costs with someone else that ties.

I would stick with cheaper stuff and cheaper patterns like a woolly bugger to get started and get practice. That way if it turns out messy, you didn't lose much in the way of valuable tying material :)

Getting to know a hunter or two can be nice too :) Lots of free deer hair, maybe some nice pheasant feathers, etc.

Good luck and more importantly have fun with it!:thumleft:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:17 pm

knotabassturd wrote:Staying basic is a good way to start. Being patient and having good light helps a lot.

With the internet tutorials and stuff on Youtube, I personally don't necessarily think you need a fly tying class right away or maybe do that if you still struggle after watching some free stuff online IMO.
I started from scratch checking out books from library and trying to follow the pics to tie flies. I concentrated on western US streams patterns both dr yand wet. Trout pattern lake flies too for here in the NW (like woolly bugger).

The quality of materials for some flies can matter like dry fly hackle- high quality hackle can get expensive but you only need a little bit to start. Sometimes you can take some sting out of cost by splitting costs with someone else that ties.

I would stick with cheaper stuff and cheaper patterns like a woolly bugger to get started and get practice. That way if it turns out messy, you didn't lose much in the way of valuable tying material :)

Getting to know a hunter or two can be nice too :) Lots of free deer hair, maybe some nice pheasant feathers, etc.

Good luck and more importantly have fun with it!:thumleft:
Some very good advise. Fly tying classes are good but not a necessity, especially if you are on a tight budget.

Bookmark this page:

Leroy Hyatt is one of the best fly tiers in the country. He has produced several seasons of tying instructions. I have watched him tie in person and have visited with him a couple of times. His videos are very informative and well produced.

Looking through the episodes, I noticed that he includes the Zug Bug as one of his featured fly. This is a good starter fly and is a very effective fly. I might add that is is easy to tie and the materials are inexpensive.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:21 pm

I just looked through Leroy's videos and found the Stayner Duck. It is in season two, episode four.

This is a very simple fly to tie and a very effective pattern for both Cutthroats and Rainbows. If you don't believe me, read Rooscooter's fishing reports on Amber, Williams, Fish Lake & Horseshoe. It is a real good producing fly.[thumbsup]
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”