want to learn fly fishing.

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tnj8222
Admiral

want to learn fly fishing.

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm clueless on rods reels and basically everything about fly fishing. Would somebody point me in the right direction? Have pontoons and float tubes. Been floating the green river for trout and salmon.

Thanks everybody
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

RE:want to learn fly fishing.

Post by leahcim_dahc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Ask ten different people the same question and you're most likely going to get ten different answers. Especially when it comes to fly fishing.

Dependent upon the target species, environment (river, lake, creek), and your preferences the options will vary widely. For Salmon and LMB (hopefully Steelhead in the near future), I use a Lamiglas 9'6" 8wt. For a general purpose rod for trout, panfish, and the occassional bass, I'll use a Lamiglas 9'6" 5wt. When fishing for trout on some of the smaller rivers and creeks, I'll drag out a Loomis 9'6" 4wt.

As far as reels go...they just hold the line. Don't need anything fancy...just reliable and functional. The only reels I have any experience with are the Okuma Helios 4/5wt, 5/6wt, and 7/8 wt. They're not highend...but they're not junk either. They have a decent drag system and are very smooth. The spools change out easily for different situations.

In the end, you'll end up with so many different opinions on equipment you'll get overwhelmed. Visit with a couple local fly shops, get recommendations here and there, set yourself a budget and get what works best for you...not the latest craze/fad.

Below is a forum link with some references for fly fishing...good luck and enjoy!
http://washingtonlakes.com/forum/yaf_po ... urces.aspx
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:21 am

First, you will need some decent equipment. I suggest looking at a decent fly rod (Temple Fork makes very good entry level rods as do several others) in the 4 to 6 weight range. I would also suggest a decent all aluminum (machined not cast) reel with an extra spool (one spool for each type of line). You should be able to get this type of set up for somewhere around $300.00.

Next you will need some good line. This is where I wouldn't skimp as quality line makes casting, mending etc. easier and fishing more enjoyable. I suggest Airflo or Rio fly lines.

Once you get these basics you can begin to learn to cast properly. Here is page with some good videos on casting: http://www.jimteeny.com/indexMain.html? ... Intro.html

Once you have learned casting you will then need to take a crash course on entomology or the study of insects. Understanding the basic stages of insect life in bodies of water is the key to catching fish. There are several good sites on this subject. Most fly patterns are based on a hand-full of insect species and their various stages of life.

You will need to buy some good fly patterns. Definitely go to a local fly shop and ask for advise on patterns where you will be fishing.

After all of that you will be ready to hit the water with some knowledge and the right equipment......after that its all up to you!!

As you begin to start the process; come back and ask the forum some more specific questions.....this is a good group and will give you some very good advice.

Tight Lines!

onlymercury
Petty Officer

Post by onlymercury » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Try flyanglersonline. Tons of info for the beginner. i started this year and bought a ross worldwide package with reel and rod less than 200. very quality equipment for beginners

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Both the previous posts are great and to the point. The state of Washington offers a very wide varity of species and types of water to catch them in. The rods and reels mentioned above will fit the bill for 90% of whats out there. I'm all over this state teaching, tying and flipping the fly. From Cady Lake Rainbow monsters, Salmon River Coho, Skokomish Kings, Merwin Tiger Muskie, Dry Falls German Browns and this weekend Pend Oreille River Northern Pike its all out there and they are eager to take a fly (well, most of the time). When getting started don't drain your wallet, that comes later (just ask my wife). Fish with people who know the tricks and have paid their dues, you'll pick it up much faster. Remember, fly shops are a wealth of knowledge so ask lots of questions and buy only what you absolutly need.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:24 pm

I would recommend to go to this page:
http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=178#R
Its a page of fly fishing terms and definitions. Very helpful. Orvis also has some nice gear.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks guy. Got a pretty penny saved up any shop recommendations on a shop? Can travel just don't know a fly shop. Will go to auburn sports and check out there selection for now. Will be fishing the green mostly. Will take all advice. Once again thanks
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

LittleTrib
Petty Officer

Post by LittleTrib » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:18 pm

First and MOST importantly, visit your local fly shop (Creekside in Issaquah, Orvis Bellevue, Puget Sound Fly Co. in Kent are all TOP notch shops), where they are both passionate and knowledgeable about casting bugs. AND take a fly casting lesson. The casting lesson I took 4 years ago was probably the best thing I've ever done in my fishing career, the rods, reels, line, flies, waders, gear, guided trips down the Yakima, Klickitat, Methow, road trips to the Rocky Mountain trout heavens and all of the boats :thumright and all of that will eventually fall into place (in your garage). Good luck

onlymercury
Petty Officer

Post by onlymercury » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 pm

definitely hit a fly shop first. they are much more personal, and don't really push there stuff on you. they will get you what you want. if you have a pretty penny saved up, then get a low to mid level setup, because with fly fishing you will come to realize there are so many other things you may want or need (fly line, flies, leaders, tippets, vest, fins for lakes, classes, etc. etc. give me a pm if you ever want someone to show you the ropes. i'm still a beginner but have learned quite a bit since i started this year.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:23 am

All good advice so far and I'll add my 2 cents. If you want to advance your knowledge and skills quickly, take a casting class and a fly tying class. I'm very good at learning on my own and use videos and books to a large degree, however, seeing it done in person and getting a bit of hands on training can really jump start the process. I initially took classes on the shores of Green Lake, decades ago and I believe you can still do so today. I attached a link to Kaufmann's classes as an example, other stores should offer similar events, just google a bit.

http://www.kaufmannsstreamborn.com/Classes/

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:53 pm

tnj8222 wrote:Will go to auburn sports and check out there selection for now...
I've only been in Auburn Sports and Marine a couple times, but they didn't have much with regards to fly fishing.Puget Sound Fly Co. is probably your best bet. They're just north of S 260th St on Hwy 99 in Kent (east side of Hwy 99 if you're northbound). They are very knowledgeable and have a good selection of equipment and materials.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

p.t.
Warrant Officer

Post by p.t. » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:51 am

I self-taught myself fly-fishing 3 years ago. I'm not saying now I've become an accomplished fisherman, but hey, I catch fish! If you don’t have other resources to get you started, then maybe my experiences can be of some use.

For skills and strategies, you can just go buy some books or videos. Orvis has a great book on fly-fishing, forgot its name, but you can find it in local library. It tells you everything from gear selection to knots to strategies. Lots of pictures.

Then of course there are videos. You can buy teaching DVDs from amazon.com, or you can just go to YouTube to search for clips. Yes, there are quite a few video clips on YouTube to teach you how to cast. But personally, I like teaching DVDs I bought, more systematic. YouTube's video clips only talk about casting, but nothing about the strategies, like how to deal with currents, where to find trout, how to match the hatch, advanced skills like double-haul, or even a little bit on fly tying. Only teaching DVDs have such information.

You sure can find tons and tons of information online. But I wouldn't suggest anyone to learn something solely by reading bits and pieces of information from online. Different writers/contributors have different ways of approaching the same topic, or even different opinions. (For example, do you need to use the wrist when doing the most basic forward and back cast?) For beginners, such vastly varied opinions only confuse them. Stick to one book or one DVD, seek for more sources of information only when you're ready.

As for the gear, you can just start with a fly-fishing kit. 3 years ago I bought one from Cabela's online, it comes with everything -- rod, line, reel, backing, leader, carrying case, forceps, line straightener, floatant, flies, nipper, zingers, chest bag, strike indicators, everything. (No wader and vest!) Best of all, all these proved useful as soon as you get in the water. Under $200. For kits, your selection is limited to 5wt or 6wt, I bought a 6wt, 9ft, 4-sections rod; if I can do it over again, I'd choose the 5wt model, better for trout fishing. No, of course the rod is not the best in the market, but as a beginner, you don't want to spend $500+ on a Sage rod just to learn that you're not that into fly-fishing. A $200- investment can serve you well for several years.

(Orvis also has kits, called Streamline. For $198, you get reel, rod, and line. That's it, so you'll have to shell out a few more bucks to buy other necessities like leader straightener or floatant. But the rod is of good quality, definitely worth the price. You can buy them online, they also have stock in their Bellevue store.)

Is self-teach the best way to start fly-fishing (or any other hobby)? Yes and no. If you have ready resources in hand like friends or a dad that fishes, of course it'd be much better. If you don't, then don't let this no-resource thing get in the way of starting a new hobby, self-teach can be a great way to start.

(But of course you might make stupid stupid mistakes during the process. I made a big one: Because of the glamour of casting, for some time I focused only on casting skills as if it's the only thing there is about fly-fishing! How wrong I was!!!)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”