snagging gear that i found saturday the 16

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Coastfishin
Commander

RE:snagging gear that i found saturday the 16

Post by Coastfishin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Looks like what I find on the Humptulips:thumbdown

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:14 pm

LOL yeah it's bad if the person knows about fishing for salmon and is intentionally trying to snag. But last year when fishing on the Nisqually this one guy was trying to get his kids on some fish and didn't know anything about river fishing for salmon and was from Cali. They were throwing like 5-6 inch swimbaits out and had no clue how to fish. Dad and I gave them some stuff to use and try to get a fish and he thanked us for showing him what to use for the salmon in the river.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:28 pm

Brian253 wrote:Su r prised??
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:18 pm

Matt wrote:
Brian253 wrote:Su r prised??
He's using fishen slang... Nothing wrong with it. Or else his typing skills are like mine.[flapper]
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

fisherman31579
Petty Officer

Post by fisherman31579 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Apparently that's what all the Lewis river locals use, with a nice big glorified cannon ball attached to it hahahaha!

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 am

Gorst and Chico creek are the same over here in Bremerton. You're going to find snaggers everywhere. It's like anything in life, you will find those trying to take the time to learn things and others who like to take short cuts in everything that they do. Nothing wrong with taking shortcuts, but when it comes to breaking the law it's not right. On the Green last year we yelled this guy down for snagging and he completely ignored us. He had 7 pinks and at least 4 silvers on a stringer that he had hiding in the water. He was using a similar set up. We couldnt get to him because he was across the river. Isnt there a hotline to call if we see things like this?

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:29 am

You don't even have to call, you can TEXT from your cellphone.

Text this number: 847411

Your message MUST start out with WDFWTIP and then you can follow with your report.

Example: "WDFWTIP there are people snagging at the mouth of the hatchery creek on the Sol Duc"

If you want to call a number and talk to someone (or leave a message...) 1-877-933-9847

Online reporting: WDFW poaching page
Lee

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:12 am

From my experience that hot line is pretty much bunk. I have called it on a few occasions and never seen enforcement come out. WDFW is extremely understaffed in the enforcement department so it is pretty frequent that there may be 0 officers in any given area. I believe for the PS region they only have 3 or 4 total officers from Olympia to Bellingham.

I frequently run snaggers out of holes when I have the opportunity. I know they just move on to the next spot, but at least I don't have to watch them do it.

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:55 am

Matt, if they only have 3 or 4 in the PS region then they must all hang out in Kitsap and Mason County. I've seen 3 alone in Gorst everyday for several weeks. They are def understaffed though.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:11 am

Enforcement has been a joke for several years now. I was out on the Sound last year and ran into several crab buoys/pots that were out a week after the season had closed. I got the run-a-round and was finally told that they don't have a boat in the Sound on Sundays after the crab season closes and to call the police. Calling the police was also a big waste of time as they couldn't be bothered to send out a boat to check, I even provided GPS coordinates and the names on the buoys. Lame!

I suspect that if you get a hold of the police they may come by if it is a shore related incident. You'd figure with State and local coffers as bare as they are, enforcement would jump at the opportunity to collect some fines.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:14 am

The lack of enforcement is not a state issue either. It is a lack of qualified applicants. They are in constant demand for new Officers but there just aren't a whole lot of cops that want to go into the F&W division. I think that number (3 or 4 total for the PS region) reflects Marine enforcement only, although I could be wrong on that.

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:08 pm

I found almost the exact same set up last year on the Green River! I got snagged on them and ended up pulling three lures with trebble hooks out of the water, all on the same line... connected some how...It was badly rigged.
Ryan

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:22 pm

At least they are losing a good amount of money when they break off one (or 3 lol!) of those things
Lee

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:03 pm

Hey MATT I didn't ask for a grammar lesson when I posted, but thanks for trying:salut:

fisherman31579
Petty Officer

Post by fisherman31579 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:28 pm

IF THE GAME WARDENS DONT COME TRY THE COPS. I PERSONALLY KNOW OFFICERS WITH PUYALLUP TRIBAL WHO WILL COME AND WILL ENFORCE EVEN ON THE NATIVES FOR NETTING VIOLATIONS. AS FAR AS THE GREEN IF IT IS THE PART IN AUBURN CALL THE COPS THERE AS WELL. MY BEST FRIEND WORKS THERE AND I KNOW A COUPLE OF OTHER GUYS THERE TO. I CAN ASSURE THAT IF THEY DONT HAVE MORE SERIOUS CALLS GOING ON THEY WILL COME AND WILL MAKE THE WRONGS RIGHT! HAHAHAHAHAHA! IF ALL ELSE FAILS KEEP A EXTRA SPOOL WITH 30LBS BRAID ON IT, CHANGE IT OUT WITH YOUR NORMAL GEAR AND CAST OVER THEM EVERY TIME, AND SNAG THEIR GEAR RIGHT OUT OF THE LITTLE CRIMINAL HANDS LOL. EVENTUALLY THEY WILL LEAVE......OR WANT TO FIGHT, HAHAHAHA WHAT EVER, AS LONG AS YOU KNOW YOUR USE OF FORCE MODEL YOUR FINE.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:13 pm

I say cross their line. Play dumb and wait for them to relax. Then tighten up your line, yank like $#@%, reel in as fast as possible and repeat. Keep reeling fast as you can and yank away and shout "IT'S COMING STRAIGHT BACK AT ME! I'M GUNNA LOSE IT IF I CAN'T GET MORE TENSION ON THE LINE!"
If U get the whole rig out of their hands and in the river then let the line slack to see if it'll rest on the bottom somewhere just out of reach of them before you reel all the way in.[blink] Ooppsy! Then tell them you are real sorry, coulda sworn it was a fish before realizing what happened, and that you don't have any snagging type hooks to dredge the bottom for their lost rod[blush]
"WOW, I coulda sworn that was a fish. Oh man I am so sorry" (then mumble "for the fish" under your breath). Not that I have ever tried this, just seems like the gentleman's way to do things on the water. You know, balance out nature and such.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:26 pm

You sure you have not been there before knottabassturd lol good stuff

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Brian253 wrote:You sure you have not been there before knottabassturd lol good stuff
Not unless I had my full regulars posse that 'got my back' on those things LOL. Never know who the crazies are these days... Well, besides myself.:-"

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:19 pm

Brian253 wrote:Hey MATT I didn't ask for a grammar lesson when I posted, but thanks for trying:salut:
I believe you mean spelling lesson, not grammar? :salut:

AT LEAST YOU DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS THOUGH, THAT IS REALLY ANNOYING.

Knot, that's the spirit! I love messing with them too. Blowing them down in boat wake is my new goto, but I have done the sneaky jerking and yanking scenario you describe. I have also purposely gotten tangled with snaggers from across the channel, wrangled up their gear, and secured it to my side of the bank.

I can't wait for someone to cast a rig into my boat so I can hook it onto the gunnel and take off with the pump! [lol]
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:20 pm

i want bo be there when you do lol
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU