Article from the PI (Anyone worried about the Pink Run Through the Hollow?)

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Floater
Petty Officer

Article from the PI (Anyone worried about the Pink Run Through the Hollow?)

Post by The Floater » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:43 am

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/otherspor ... out23.html

Check out the link to the story.

I know I am not alone alone when I say where the heck are the 3.3? It seems they havnt made it to the Hollow yet?? As you may have seen my post, I fished possession to the shipwreck to mukilteo etc, with only one Humpy (and it was on Herring - a little odd). I read the postings from this week and it looks like things have heated up - or is this just a one day - hit or miss run?? For the biggest run since 1967, the hollow is not yet showing for it. I know they could just be later than usual, and this is probably the case - But I am taking out 6 first time anglers this weekend to the zoo we know as Humpy Hollow, and I am worried that we are not going to get the action that this area's reputation holds. As you have all done in the past, I have fished this area with huge success and double and triple hookups - It makes anyone want to be a fisherman - What are everyone's thoughts about this. I actually lost sleep about it last night. I spent the night watching reruns of Hawgquest.
I just really want these newbies to get into some thick fish!!!

Drewp
Commander

RE:Article from the PI (Anyone worried about the Pink Run Through the Hollow?)

Post by Drewp » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:57 am

I've heard from other forums that it's lights out in CQ, so I'm thinking (like you mentioned) that they are running just a little late. They also seem to be spread out a lot more than normal.

On another note, if you want to take out those first time anglers to the other zoo (Snoho), you should be able to get as many pinks as you want there.

Otherwise, hang in there - I think (crossing my fingers) they are on the way.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:46 pm

Your too impatient buddy...They are still in the straights and are making there way down as we speak. They are thick midway up the westside of Whidbey Island, went out to my favorite humpy spot last night and had a hit every other cast, landed a 20+ fish in a 2 hours..Just casting buzz bombs and jigs at the beach from a boat.

I heard that over the last few weeks in Sekiu you cuoldn't keep gear in the water for more then 5 minutes without a pink, and they would hit anything, even non-pink stuff....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:30 pm

They are thick in MA11 right now!

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:33 pm

they need to fill up MA10 already - Ive been skunked this whole season thus far!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:48 pm

bpm2000 wrote:they need to fill up MA10 already - Ive been skunked this whole season thus far!

Man you must go to the mouth of the Duwamish. If your bank fishing there are tons of spots. But The boats are coming all the way up to the spokane street bridge and they are absolutely slaying them. I know it dosnt seem like area 10, but it technically is. But in the last 3 days between 5 people we have caught 30 from the bridge, and we are all beginners, this one guy down there caught 30 in 1 day. I really want to get my boat out there and just troll from Seacrest pier down to Spokane street all day. Guaranteed 100+ will be caught, sounds like a good time on light gear, maybe even get fancy and whip out the ultra light and see if its possible on 4lb test.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:40 pm

They've been slaying them at humpy hollow all along for the past 3 weeks...If your not getting fish, which is tough, change up your depth or your lure....Don't stick with just one setup at one depth...Troll with the tide and use smelly jelly...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

viet
Petty Officer

Post by viet » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:50 pm

there's nothing better than standing on the side of a lake or river knowing that only a handful of people have stood in that exact spot and witness the beauty of mother nature first hand.

The Floater
Petty Officer

Post by The Floater » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:They've been slaying them at humpy hollow all along for the past 3 weeks...If your not getting fish, which is tough, change up your depth or your lure....Don't stick with just one setup at one depth...Troll with the tide and use smelly jelly...
Not sure if you read my report. I fished it one day on the 18th. I did not see one other boat catch a pink. There was one silver brought in and my pink was the only one caught in the three hours I fished. Out of about 60 boats, I would say that is hardly slaying them. Also, the reports have not been good for Pinks in the hollow before this week. I dont know if I hit it on a bad day or not, but I'll see whats happening over there this weekend. The article above this is the best report I have seen this year for humpy hollow.
Also, I was using and, will be using, shrimp and Krill Pro-Cure scent - Any other scents you would reccomend?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:02 pm

well, Monday was lights out, Tuesday was not so good. If your friends have never been to the Hollow it's worth it just to see all those boats! I'm sure you'll catch fish. Have a couple people cast buzz bombs off either side as you troll. Trying to troll 6 rigs would be a nightmare when they are hitting. On Monday we couldn't even get the second line down for about 1/2 hour without getting hits on the first rigger.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

The Floater
Petty Officer

Post by The Floater » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:28 am

Mike Carey wrote:well, Monday was lights out, Tuesday was not so good. If your friends have never been to the Hollow it's worth it just to see all those boats! I'm sure you'll catch fish. Have a couple people cast buzz bombs off either side as you troll. Trying to troll 6 rigs would be a nightmare when they are hitting. On Monday we couldn't even get the second line down for about 1/2 hour without getting hits on the first rigger.
Thanks Bud! Yup, were gonna start all jiggin, and if that is not pullin em and we see people hookin up better trolling, we will get three poles out trolling and just switch up catches. im definitly feeling better about the catch rates lately. Look for the report on Tuesday!! Have a great weekend ya'll, and get your lines in the water. Thanks for the discussions - It makes work FLY BY!!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:40 pm

Just posted a video of our Monday trip which was lights out. Check it out in the Members Video section.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".