Smelly waders

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jens
Commodore

RE:Smelly waders

Post by jens » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:55 pm

flinginpooh wrote:
Matt wrote:
flinginpooh wrote:50 bucks at walmart. Buy some new ones. Its a sure fire way to get the funk out. But I dont like neoprene waders at all. I look at ebay and usually spend between 40-75 and find deals on breathables.
I don't like breathables in sub zero December - February Steelhead temps!

I use a pair of cabelas fleece wader liners. I fish for winter steel and love it. Ive fished for steel and had it start snowing on many occasions. Last year at bluecreek Late Dec it started snowing on me. Also last day for chum at the skok was snowing. That was the only times last year it snowed. But I can put more layers in them also if need be because they are looser on my body. And as far as comfort in the summer. I wear a pair of shorts and if it gets too hot Ill even rip the shirt off and fish. I use to think neoprene when I was younger was the way to go. Im getting a lil older and like to be comfortable.

Oh and dont forget to double up on wool socks in the winter.
You sound like you know how to keep yourself warm Pooh. Breathables are the way to go. Not to knock on those who wear Neoprenes, but they look way too tight on some of the guys I fish with. I had no complaints in my breathables during the winter season. I have those same wader liners Pooh. We are brothers. [drool] [flapper]
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Hehe I still wear my old rubber waders.I feel so olde fashioned.I wear long Jons and wool boot soxs.I dont to cold in winter fishing either.I sometimes use boot warmers./By the way ifin we fish together dont take your boots off in my truck ifin y'alls feet stink.:eye:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:04 pm

breathaable wadders are fine if you buy them big enough and use the propper layers.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:19 pm

One of my fishing buds from years past had feet that smelled so bad they made people gag (except for his wife and I'm not going there). All the docs would tell him is that he may out grow it, but to wash and dry his feet 4 times a day, wear only natural fiber socks, and to use absorbent powder before he put his socks on. He had neoprene waders and would take them to a laundromat, turn them inside out and put them in the large load machine with a good detergent. Then add wetsuit anti-funk in the rinse cycle. We all had trucks so his waders always were in the truck bed. Once we'd get to the river he'd leave his shoes under the truck bed to air out. He got a good job offer in Oklahoma and moved down there. At least he didn't have to wear neoprene down there on his bass boat. At his going away party we had a ritual burning of his waders in order to pacify the funk gods.
Life's short - fish hard!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Matt wrote:
flinginpooh wrote:50 bucks at walmart. Buy some new ones. Its a sure fire way to get the funk out. But I dont like neoprene waders at all. I look at ebay and usually spend between 40-75 and find deals on breathables.
I don't like breathables in sub zero December - February Steelhead temps!
for real! I had some breathables my brother lent me on the OP last year and I froze! I had wool wader socks, pants and insulated carhart work pants on top of that. I got the neoprene waders and a pair of wool socks over wader socks on one pair of pants was warm enough. All day in that cold steelhead water can be frigid. Neoprenes are so much nicer, in the summer I just wear lightweght shorts and I'm fine, so long as I don't spend too much time outta the water. And they hug really nice so I don't sacrifice mobility either.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:17 pm

racfish wrote:Not to be rude or insulting but perhaps its the feet going in the boots? Athletes foot can be horrendous.Id try some shoe powder in all your shoes or even a anti-fungal spray like Tenactin.If its athletes foot smell then getting the funk out takes time.Vinager would be my best guess on ridding the funk.
nah man, the stink is undeniably on the outside. Smells like a bad fish stinky mud.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:Neoprene stinks when it gets wet and used alot. Scuba divers figured out how to fix this along time ago.... Go to any scuba dive shop and pick up some Mirazene wetsuit stink remover.... Works great... add about 2 cap fulls to a tub of water large enough to submerge your waders in. Soak your waders in it for about 10 minutes. DO NOT RINSE!
Hang to dry.

Trust me. After a couple of dives in a wetsuit that you just hang to dry.... wow... it stinks so bad its unbearable. This stuff kicks its butt!

Cory-

Here is a link...

http://www.nytro.com/index.cfm/product/ ... leProducts

SCORE! That sounds like the ticket. I'm gonna try that for sure.

fisherman31579
Petty Officer

Post by fisherman31579 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:37 am

DEFIANTLY BREATHABLE ALL THE WAY. ABOUT 5-6 YEARS AGO I WENT OUT AND PURCHASED SIMMS G3 WADERS, JACKET, VEST, WITH THEIR FREESTONE BOOTS. THE BILL FOR ALL OF THIS SUCKED BUT I TELL YOU WHAT THE ARE LIKE FISHING ARMOR. IN THE WINTER I WEAR LONG SOCK AND LIKE A FISHING SWEAT PANT ON BOTTOM, AND A SWEATER UP TOP UNDER MY JACKET AND IT IS PERFECT. THIS HAS KEPT ME WARM EVEN IN LIKE JANUARY SNOW. THEN IN THE SUMMER YOU GET RID OF THE LAYERING SO YOU DON'T SWEAT YOUR ASS OFF. PLUS THEY COME WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY, THEY ARE THE CADILLAC OF WADERS. MAYBE THE STINKY WADER PROBLEM IS A GOOD EXCUSE TO GO OUT AND GET SOME NEW ONES :) CHECK IT OUT SIMMS.COM

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:56 am

Nate , I really wasnt trying to be insulting about the feet. Its just one of those things that happens to us when our feet just get damp from fishing.I too have a friend whos feet should be burned and not his shoes. Hahaha.Since diabetes hit me years ago I am very carefull what I do to my feetsies.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:13 am

natetreat wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Neoprene stinks when it gets wet and used alot. Scuba divers figured out how to fix this along time ago.... Go to any scuba dive shop and pick up some Mirazene wetsuit stink remover.... Works great... add about 2 cap fulls to a tub of water large enough to submerge your waders in. Soak your waders in it for about 10 minutes. DO NOT RINSE!
Hang to dry.

Trust me. After a couple of dives in a wetsuit that you just hang to dry.... wow... it stinks so bad its unbearable. This stuff kicks its butt!

Cory-

Here is a link...

http://www.nytro.com/index.cfm/product/ ... leProducts

SCORE! That sounds like the ticket. I'm gonna try that for sure.
Yep... This stuff just flat removes the issue. I fish and hunt with neoprene waders covered in army pants to protect the neoprene from snags and such. I love them. I have been in subzero temps in idaho hunting and am warm as can be with only a pair of underarmor under them. I usually soak them in the Mirazene once a week. No odors at all.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:06 am

racfish wrote:Nate , I really wasnt trying to be insulting about the feet. Its just one of those things that happens to us when our feet just get damp from fishing.I too have a friend whos feet should be burned and not his shoes. Hahaha.Since diabetes hit me years ago I am very carefull what I do to my feetsies.
haha, no worries. I'll run into the stinky feet problem too I;''m sure :salut:

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:02 pm

If U can, give us an update post-stink removal experiment:) Wish I could get the fish stink out of the car trunk#-o #-o Had a leaky garbage bag that spilled onto leak-proof tarp in trunk that had a low end and let slime roll off into the car trunk as I went around corners on the way home...[blink] [scared]
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure