What works this time of year?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
noclothes1
Lieutenant

What works this time of year?

Post by noclothes1 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:06 am

Now that the pads and over foliage are starting to die and drop down, what seems to be working? What is your strategy for this transition period between summer and fall?
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

Damviking
Petty Officer

RE:What works this time of year?

Post by Damviking » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:53 pm

Even though the pads are drying up they still are cover for the bass. I have still been fishing the edge of the pads, and any pockets i can get to.
A bad day of fishing, is better then a good day at work!
Keep fishing, Dean

Lyndon
Petty Officer

Post by Lyndon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:31 am

I would say that you should use jigs if you know how to use them and if you dont learn! like I am doing right now... but I dont know that is a good question?

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:59 am

Right now, the biggest concern is blue skies and alot of sun. Key on low light areas and greener vegetation. Unfortunately that means working the milfoil which is tedious. As the pads start browning they emit more CO2 which means less oxygen. Bass will instinctively move to where they are most comfortable.

Until the fall really hits us, morning and night remain your best times to fish. Or fish deeper at the edge of the weedlines.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:44 am

I agree with CAVDAD , he hit the nail on the head with explaining the oxygen levals and how it relates to why bass hang out in veggie bowls ...I somewhat agree with the best bite being in the morning and evening , but guys i gotta tell ya , i have found those LMB hanging out under those deep docks in mid day ( when its sunny) ..you will be surprised on size of fish that use docks for cover , that patteren has being doing great for me all year .. My beliefs is that if you work five docks your gonna get atleast one keep bass .. however if you cant get your bait all the way under those docks it a different story ...BBD :-"

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:43 am

I noticed the topwater bite has slowed for me. Is this common this time of year or maybe I've had just a few off days? I appreciate the tips. Can somebody explain why blue skies are a problem?

Thanks guys, your help is always appreciated.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:48 am

noclothes1 wrote:I noticed the topwater bite has slowed for me. Is this common this time of year or maybe I've had just a few off days? I appreciate the tips. Can somebody explain why blue skies are a problem?

Thanks guys, your help is always appreciated.
Increased light penetration forces the bass into cover. On an overcast day the bass will not hold as close to cover or sense the need to go deep.

Topwater will work OK in greener vegetation during the day or during low light conditions.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:34 pm

Cavdad45,

But, if the bass are holding tight to cover doesn't that narrow down the places you have to search for them in?

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:09 pm

noclothes1 wrote:Cavdad45,

But, if the bass are holding tight to cover doesn't that narrow down the places you have to search for them in?

Short answer: Yes! Remember the adage that says 90% of fish are in 10% of the water? It's not 100% true, but it is a close analogy.

Now here's the catch. When bass hold tighter to cover say because of increased light penetration, it does in fact narrow down the places you need to search for them. At the same time, the fish's feeding zone shrinks meaning that they won't travel far to chase a lure. Where on an overcast day the fish may move upwards to several feet in pursuit of prey, on a bluebird they might not even move 4 or 5 inches.

Conclusion. On the bright days, your lure must be presented very accurately or it will be ignored. If you are less than a foot from the fish, say 9 or 10 inches, he won't pursue. Or rarely will he give chase. That's why it makes more sense to go deeper for fish that are more willing to meet your lure. On some lakes that is not an option because the lake might just lack depth. That is why gaining proficiency in flipping and pitching is so vital for bass anglers.

Remember those submerged stumps we were talking about the other day? The bass never chased the spinnerbaits between them, they only hit when we crashed the lure into the stump and let the bait fall into their lap. They would not even come up a foot to bite, but only hit when the lure came to them.

Did that Help? :-k
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:46 pm

Cavdad45,

Thanks! You have a wealth of information. Old Bill Dance has nothing on you.

Thank you,

Gary