And now the Puke is closing

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Matt
Admiral

RE:And now the Puke is closing

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:39 pm

Ultimately, I think the answer would be SELECTIVE commercial fishing. It is the only viable option for commercial salmon harvest at this point. This would mean NO MORE GILL NETS which is quite a leap to make, indeed. Selective commercial salmon fishing is the wave of the future.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:42 pm

They COULD use seine nets if they chose to. Testing showed 99% success rates in releasing wild fish alive. (testing in Columbia River)
Lee

jerrysgonefishing
Petty Officer

Post by jerrysgonefishing » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:51 pm

The indians do have the right to the fish they produce (Note that they get the eggs from the states voughts creek hatchery). They need to use fish traps or sain nets and selectively harvest hatchery fish from them or harvest at their hatchery gate where there is no dought where the fish originated.

Maurice
Petty Officer

Post by Maurice » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:00 pm

As fisherman would we be required to start an initiative to ban gill nets or setup some sort of selective fishery?
Why cant Marriage License be like fishing licenses,

Where they expire every year and when

you go out of state you can get a 3 day pass.

jerrysgonefishing
Petty Officer

Post by jerrysgonefishing » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:21 pm

As fisherman would we be required to start an initiative to ban gill nets or setup some sort of selective fishery?

What is needed to to be done. Visit the Coastal Concervancy Association (CCA) web sight. It is an East coast organization that got the nets out of the water on the east coast and is now working to do the same here in the northwest.