Green river

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bionic_one
Captain

Green river

Post by bionic_one » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:01 am

My buddy text me after work last night to join him at the Green River today. Said the Silvers were in there pretty thick. This morning I checked the reg and it doesn't seem to be open. He insisted that there were lots of people down there fishing already and the fish were in thick.

They must be fishing for "trout"? Did I miss something in my rule-book reading? We'd be going just below the 18 bridge. I know cutthroat and rainbows will actually eat a corky setup, so I guess I could still go with him and release any silvers that get flossed. Maybe they are targetting hatchery steelhead?

Just to be clear, I don't have any intention of poaching, I'm just hoping I read something wrong and it is actually legal to fish for them. If not, I'm just going to hit my favorite trout lake and bring home something today. This season has been terrible.
Lee

Gringo Pescador

RE:Green river

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 am

from the S. 277th Bridge to Auburn-Black Diamond Rd. Bridge(746)
ALL SPECIES - Oct. 16-Nov. 30: night closure and anti-snagging rule. Nov. 1-Feb. 28: fishing from any
floating device prohibited.
TROUT First Sat. in June-Aug. 15 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Other Game Fish First Sat. in June-Aug. 15 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
TROUT Oct. 16-Feb. 28 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2
Other Game Fish Oct. 16-Feb. 28 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SALMON Oct. 16-Dec. 31 Min. size 12". Daily limit 6. Up to 3 adults may be retained. Release Chinook

You read the regs right, not open until October 16th and that includes trout.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 am

It is open from I-405 to the mouth. So only the most downstream area. Another section opens Oct 1 and then the rest Oct 17 (correction- Oct 16 open thanx Gringo Perscador). Hope those people are all in the open waters:-"

Oops, just managed to read your whole post and saw the Hwy 18 reference. Uh-oh, it appears they're all fishing illegally? How does a big group manage that? And on the Green of all places?#-o I sure hope this doesn't eventually lead to some full closure of the Green in that area in future seasons.... It is my favorite local palce to go and actually sometimes catch a salmon. I'd text your buddy and tell him to spread the word it is closed.

It continues to verify what snake7676/natetreat/others were saying- that the fish are already up in the system while we sit waiting almost another month for it to open. By then all those fish will be processed in the hatchery or ugly boot material (or just dead moldy balls o'fish).[blink] Ugh.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:01 am

Why are the trout listed twice?
TROUT Oct. 16-Feb. 28 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Additionally, hatchery steelhead - can they still target those? Reg is so confusing sometimes.
Lee

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:24 am

bionic_one wrote:Why are the trout listed twice?
TROUT Oct. 16-Feb. 28 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Additionally, hatchery steelhead - can they still target those? Reg is so confusing sometimes.
This means you can target them from June - Aug 15.

However, you cannot from Aug 16 - Oct 15.

But you can again from Oct 16 to Feb 28.

Yeah, them rules can be confusing.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:26 am

Closed for everything below the highway 18 bridge its closed below the auburn black diamond road bridge.. I too saw people fishing down there, But I also just had passed a game warden so hopefully he went down there. If you are above the auburn black diamond road bridge you can fish for steelhead.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:41 am

bionic_one wrote: Additionally, hatchery steelhead - can they still target those?
As CB42 said - above Auburn-Black Diamond road = yes, but where you are referring to (around hwy 18) = no

Page 27 in the regs. "Statewater Freshwater Species Rules, Game Fish"
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:44 am

Looks like I'm not going there. Guess it's off to my favorite trout lake instead.
Lee

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:15 pm

Just head down to allen town, tukwila, seattle area and fish for silvers. The duwamish is open from 405 to the mouth.
More fish please!

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Anybody been scouting past the 405 bridge? I saw those black levees all along the river from the southcenter area all the way down to kent. You can see them when your driving along west valley highway. I am wondering if those levees have blocked off your fishing spots? the spot that I wanted to fish is blocked off now. :-({|= I guess it might be possible to try to climb over them.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:42 am

Those stupid walls have now ruined alot of fishing holes.For a younger guy it would be scaleable . I tried climbing over it and slid down the fast way.Why does mankind always have to play with mother nature.?If that river wants to flood I doubt that levee will hold it back.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

KiNg.Me206
Petty Officer

Post by KiNg.Me206 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:04 am

Me and my buddy have been doing a little scouting and in some places people have already started homemade ladders and wood piled up against some spots, can't wait for the next stretches to open.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm

KiNg.Me206 wrote:Me and my buddy have been doing a little scouting and in some places people have already started homemade ladders and wood piled up against some spots, can't wait for the next stretches to open.
I'm thinking a rope ladder and maybe a couple 6/0 treble hooks on the ends to scale them:-" :-" Maybe we can dig tunnels?

I can see it now:

Breaking News- fisherman gets stuck trying to dig under Green River flood barriers. Luckily, the man's 7 year old daughter proved smarter than him when she called 911 to let them know of her father's predicament. The emergency operator receiving the call stated: "The girl kept her calm, but you should have heard the father in the background. He needs to have his mouth washed out with borax".
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure