weight for drift fishing the dumaish

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bassin253
Petty Officer

weight for drift fishing the dumaish

Post by Bassin253 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:18 pm

gonna go up to the dumaish in allentown in the morning havnt done much drift fishing in slow moving water like that what weight would you suggest for drifting corkie and roe setup??

scott080379
Commodore

RE:weight for drift fishing the dumaish

Post by scott080379 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 pm

I would suggest floating eggs, jiggs, throwing spinners or spoons out.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:14 am

Just eggs on a leader. Fish it like a fly with sink tip line. But the fish have lock jaw on their way up, they bite more on spinners.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:29 am

The size of the weight depends on the stregnth of the flow.For me if I'm plunking I use max 4 oz. weight.If drifting i use enough pencil lead to touch bottom while drifting. Just remember that there are many many snags in the lower river when drifting.I too prefer spinners on the outgoing tide.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:21 pm

Yep I'd go with nate and racfish. No/minimal weight drifting eggs if you can get away with it or if too much slow water use a float to keep it from snagging up. The spinner thing is just from listening to nate. He's been doing pretty well on the lower river with it so he's a good real reference.:)
Would be cool to run into some of you guys out there pretty soon. I'll probably be a weekend warrior on the Green. Got that work thing...
Good luck.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:18 pm

And fish on the weekend. There are tons of fish coming in on the weekends, but the nets made a killing in the numbers of fish coming up.