tactics for river coho

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fear_no_fish
Captain

RE:tactics for river coho

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:01 pm

curado wrote:POWER PRO ALL THE WAY
Finally your starting to catch on haha
power pro and maxima crystal ivory
the power pro will haul in a log and the maxima will stay on a reel until you use it all up
I rarely have problems with my maxima and my dad has been using it for YEARS! haha with little problems
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:13 pm

fear_no_fish wrote:
curado wrote:POWER PRO ALL THE WAY
Finally your starting to catch on haha
power pro and maxima crystal ivory
the power pro will haul in a log and the maxima will stay on a reel until you use it all up
I rarely have problems with my maxima and my dad has been using it for YEARS! haha with little problems
I agree. I use both almost exclusively. I've used maxima for lingcod off the westport jetty since I was a small child, its abrasion resistance on the rocks is superb. Power pro will straighten out the hook before it snaps. Off all the lines it holds a knot the best.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:29 pm

1/4 oz jigs are coho slayers. No bobber, no weight just a jig. I have found that jigs with really long tails that almost pulsate through the water work the best. None of the jig companies make a jig like this. You are going to have to do it yourself. Just tie up a couple dozen jigs in hot pink or chartreuse. Powder coat the heads so they match the feathers, but in the glo line of Pro-tec powder paint. My jigs have about a 3" tail coming off the hook, so yes short strikes are a problem. Add a dab of Mikes shrimp oil right behind the head. And get some prawns from the grocery store. Just regular non cooked prawns for eating. (I like the frozen prawns in the 100 ct. bag) Cut the prawns up into tiny pieces and "cure" them with your favorite egg cure. Add a piece to your jig. Not for presentation just for scent, these will also help with the short strikers. I also pour my own jig heads I prefer Gamakatsu 604 heavy wire jig hooks in 2/0, but also use 3/0 Matzuo Sickle hooks when money is tight. Gamis run about $.33 each by the 100 ct. bag, and the sickles run about $.07 when bought by the 100. Hand tied jigs can run you about $.15 if you use the sickle hooks.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:27 pm

gpc wrote:1/4 oz jigs are coho slayers. No bobber, no weight just a jig. I have found that jigs with really long tails that almost pulsate through the water work the best. None of the jig companies make a jig like this. You are going to have to do it yourself. Just tie up a couple dozen jigs in hot pink or chartreuse. Powder coat the heads so they match the feathers, but in the glo line of Pro-tec powder paint. My jigs have about a 3" tail coming off the hook, so yes short strikes are a problem. Add a dab of Mikes shrimp oil right behind the head. And get some prawns from the grocery store. Just regular non cooked prawns for eating. (I like the frozen prawns in the 100 ct. bag) Cut the prawns up into tiny pieces and "cure" them with your favorite egg cure. Add a piece to your jig. Not for presentation just for scent, these will also help with the short strikers. I also pour my own jig heads I prefer Gamakatsu 604 heavy wire jig hooks in 2/0, but also use 3/0 Matzuo Sickle hooks when money is tight. Gamis run about $.33 each by the 100 ct. bag, and the sickles run about $.07 when bought by the 100. Hand tied jigs can run you about $.15 if you use the sickle hooks.
Wow, you have this stuff down! Good info.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:42 pm

gpc wrote:1/4 oz jigs are coho slayers. No bobber, no weight just a jig. I have found that jigs with really long tails that almost pulsate through the water work the best. None of the jig companies make a jig like this. You are going to have to do it yourself. Just tie up a couple dozen jigs in hot pink or chartreuse. Powder coat the heads so they match the feathers, but in the glo line of Pro-tec powder paint. My jigs have about a 3" tail coming off the hook, so yes short strikes are a problem. Add a dab of Mikes shrimp oil right behind the head. And get some prawns from the grocery store. Just regular non cooked prawns for eating. (I like the frozen prawns in the 100 ct. bag) Cut the prawns up into tiny pieces and "cure" them with your favorite egg cure. Add a piece to your jig. Not for presentation just for scent, these will also help with the short strikers. I also pour my own jig heads I prefer Gamakatsu 604 heavy wire jig hooks in 2/0, but also use 3/0 Matzuo Sickle hooks when money is tight. Gamis run about $.33 each by the 100 ct. bag, and the sickles run about $.07 when bought by the 100. Hand tied jigs can run you about $.15 if you use the sickle hooks.
I saw a guy using those today and he caught three nice Jack Silvers on them. I thought it was pretty neat. I was just using a single corky and hooked and broke off two big coho. I've always had the best luck with just a corky on a short leader.

leif-liden
Petty Officer

Post by leif-liden » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:19 pm

whats the best way to fish jigs? i think i know what im doing but odds are im totally wrong lol
"A fishing pole is a stick with a hook at one end and a fool on the other."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:14 am

Generally, there are 2 ways to fish them for coho. Under a float, or "twitched". Use a gibbs style "dink" float or a slip bobber and suspend the jig about 6" above the bottom (or so it just ticks along the bottom a few times through your drift) and just let your gear drift with the current, OR use light jigs (1/8 - 3/8 Oz depending on depth) and cast and retrieve them with a SLIGHT twitching action.... emphasis on SLIGHT, if you start swinging like a monkey reaching for a banana it quickly evolves into snagging. Twitching jigs can be effective when fish are holding in a specific area, you can find them by isolating the jumping schools and casting and twitching jigs along the bottom in these areas. When fish are more sparsely distributed (such as now) it is probably best to stick to hardware and drift gear.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:25 am

What's a coho? Do they really exist?

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:41 am

rseas wrote:What's a coho? Do they really exist?
That is a damn good question, my friend. :elephant:

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:30 am

Hey Matt, did you catch the outboard pump thing I posted? Good info for a new sled owner... BTW, I love your new boat.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 am

Could you post a picture of what that looks like? (before and after?)

I really agree with the power pro. It's not overly expensive, and you'll get a straight hook before you snap the line. I generally run with 30-40lb power pro (smaller gets rats nested too easily) and 20lb mono or pline flouro coated mono for my leader.
Lee

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Bionic- sounds like you go heavy duty serious! Guess if the fish won't spook on 30 pound line then why not :) Didn't think about the added benefit of avoiding bird nests with heavier line. Better than using 8-10 pound and losing a fish at the net breaking off the leader.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:54 pm

knotabassturd wrote:Bionic- sounds like you go heavy duty serious! Guess if the fish won't spook on 30 pound line then why not :) Didn't think about the added benefit of avoiding bird nests with heavier line. Better than using 8-10 pound and losing a fish at the net breaking off the leader.
If you don't already know this, the PowerPro is braided line. The 30lb test is the same diameter as 8# mono, but the mentioned 20# leader that is attached is a mono, which is is considerably thicker. I've seen pictures of the fish bionic catches, so I'm gonna say it doesn't seem to spook the fish! lol. Tight lines.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:08 pm

BentRod wrote:
knotabassturd wrote:Bionic- sounds like you go heavy duty serious! Guess if the fish won't spook on 30 pound line then why not :) Didn't think about the added benefit of avoiding bird nests with heavier line. Better than using 8-10 pound and losing a fish at the net breaking off the leader.
If you don't already know this, the PowerPro is braided line. The 30lb test is the same diameter as 8# mono, but the mentioned 20# leader that is attached is a mono, which is is considerably thicker. I've seen pictures of the fish bionic catches, so I'm gonna say it doesn't seem to spook the fish! lol. Tight lines.
Ya I am unfamiliar with braid other than seeing it at the stores and seeing a lot of positive feedback from users and seeing it in action at Dash Pt pier last year where people hoisted pinks clear out of the water, overhead, and onto the pier splat LOL (a good 15 feet around low tide plus the flip includes about 8 feet above the pier to make sure the fish clears the rail). I have always fished old school mono. Plus I still have a bit of 15 pound mono from years ago that has worked very well with the chinook this year (broke a rod without breaking the line or losing a nice fish). Looks like my old habit will eventually 'evolve' toward braid possibly this year if I get out to do much bobber/egg fishing for coho.:-k

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:17 pm

rseas wrote:Hey Matt, did you catch the outboard pump thing I posted? Good info for a new sled owner... BTW, I love your new boat.
Just checked that out, some good info over there. I love the new boat too other than the fact it is suffering from electrical issues on the main circuit, working on remedying it now......sigh. I should get some updated pix up.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:50 pm

happy u made it off the river.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks curado, good news is I fixed all the wiring problems and I will be up in "the spot" tomorrow afternoon. Wanna join? Gimme a ring.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:04 pm

your sled is perfect lol to make it up to the jungle hole
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Dunno if we are ready for.... the jungle..... hahaha, sure why they hell not.