tactics for river coho

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:tactics for river coho

Post by Toni » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:04 pm

HOOKEDONFISHING wrote:I have been having serious line snap issues lately fishing for silvers in the duwamish hooked a big one today set the hook and it ran and never stopped good thing I had the 4000 reel otherwise he would have spooled me about 60 yards out I decided to tighten the drag 1/6 of a turn because he was going so fast and snap. That was with 15lb / 12 lb leader 100% Floro P-line. I was using 12lb / 10lb mono but lost 4 due to breakage my drag is not to tight any suggestions or reasons this is happening ?
How old is the line?
Check the inside of the guides (eyes) of your rod and make sure all are still smooth. I had one crack (I didn't know) and the line kept getting frayed and I couldn't figure it out until I saw my tip was cracked.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:04 pm

I absolutely hate PLines flourocarbon. I did a bunch of fishing with it this season and broke off all types of fish. Switched back to old reliable (Maxima) and haven't had any problems. Personally, I think that Pline product is crap. I am a fan of their Xtra Strong mono though, use it and never had a complaint.

Instead of tightening the drag try just imparting SLIGHT pressure from your thumb (or with your hand if it is a spinning reel), that way you can feel the tension on the line translating through your hand and you KNOW when its getting too tight and you have to let some pressure off.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Toni thanks for the input I was thinking maybe line was getting nicked I will be taking a look it shouldn't though brand new rod it might have the first fish jinx on it .....Matt good call on the finger I wish I would have thought of that earlyer.I never had any problems with maxima line either !!!!!!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Be cautious not to over use the thumb though!! My buddy does that from time to time and I always give him crap for over-using his thumb. Most high cap reels hold over 200 yards of line so there is no reason to thumb hard on a fish after a 25 yard sprint.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:38 pm

I have the excaliber 4000 had plenty of line I started tripping out at about 60 yards because he wasn't slowing down at all ....

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:13 pm

i've had lots of trouble with different flouro brands, i kept experimenting cause seaguar gets spendy an the woman doesn't like it when i spend 20 bucks on leader line lol. seaguar the best tho i haven't had it snap on me yet unless i did somethin wrong like lockin down the ol' thumb to turn too big of fish. i mainly jus use izorline now days tho. man that stuff is tuff as heck!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:22 pm

p-line is garbage. and flourocarbon is not the best either. i use maxima ultra green and love it for leaders
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:36 pm

I've fish both P-Line and Maxima on different rods (I have Big Game Mono on my downrigger rod... THATS coming off soon. Only fished a half season with it, and I'm unhappy with it as main line) but never have had a problem with P-line. Actually I love it. I fish hydro-float on my float rod, and CXX on some others. I never really have problems with the maxima... I just seem to replace it more often than the P-line. It seems to fray and get more brittle sooner than the CXX.
I've never been impressed with any kind of floro, so it never goes on my reels. If I don't have a problem with mono, I just don't see the point or switching.
Fish Like A Girl

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:51 pm

hydro-float falls apart in freezing temp
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Bassin253
Petty Officer

Post by Bassin253 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:06 pm

Someone with a hawgquest avatar pushing pline lol. they must really take care of you guys. Love the show

RoryMyers
Angler

Post by RoryMyers » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:58 pm

HOOKEDONFISHING wrote:I have been having serious line snap issues lately fishing for silvers in the duwamish hooked a big one today set the hook and it ran and never stopped good thing I had the 4000 reel otherwise he would have spooled me about 60 yards out I decided to tighten the drag 1/6 of a turn because he was going so fast and snap. That was with 15lb / 12 lb leader 100% Floro P-line. I was using 12lb / 10lb mono but lost 4 due to breakage my drag is not to tight any suggestions or reasons this is happening ?
My buddy and myself have been having the same problem with the Floro P-Line. Even gone as far as losing some jigs and lures because of it. I think the line is not as good as it states it is. I have switched over to another brand and have doing great with it.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:26 pm

I started using pline flouro for leaders. Its small diam and lo vis impressed me. That was until I fished it. I have lost more fish with this line. I seem to have a problem with it holding my knots. I even started using same knots That I use on my braid to see if that would fix it. Not a chance. I not sure if my knots are comming loose or if its breaking at my knots. But when I get my swivel back there is no line on it from the leader. Im gonna go buy myself some more spider wire mono for my leaders. That crap dont fail me. And at 5.99 for 300yards cant beat the price.
More fish please!

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Hey Hooked,

I was fishing down at the Cow today and noticed that my leader line would break about 1-2" below the swivel and I was getting frustrated. I started examining my line after about 4-5 casts and noticed my leader line just below the swivel was getting beat up with bunch of dinks? I'm thinking it's from the weight, so I started retying the leader when I see the dinks and of course it will eventually really shorten my leader. Maybe you need to inspect your line after several casts for any problems. I also use a 12# leader and was snapping just below the swivel and now I know why.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:22 pm

flouro leaders are useless if yo have to keep checking you leader. maxima flouro is the only and i mean only flouro i trust. also people fishing for silvers should be on the look out for steelhead to. i landed a 10lbs hatchery at the wallace today on maxima flourocarbon 10lbs
Attachments
peppy_017_Medium.jpg
peppy_017_Medium.jpg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 1593 times

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:09 pm

You should probably post that kelt over in the "boot of the year" thread Curado.

Nice fish budday. :cheers:

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Maxima 15 pound mono has been good all season. Its been a pain to break the line when I snag up. hopefully it will hold up when i actually have a fish on.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:45 am

curado wrote:hydro-float falls apart in freezing temp
Thats good to know - I put it on my baitcaster to try it, and so far not very impressed. The outer yellow coating keeps stripping leaving the white inner fiber. Think I will be switching it out for something else pretty soon..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:58 am

That's funny. I fished it on the snake for a whole season in freezing temps and never had an issue. (Freezing enough to freeze my guides shut, and snow.)

The yellow coating will strip off if you get it snagged on rocks or something (though being a float line I don't have too many issues with that. I just trim the beat up part off the end when I tie a new swivel on, good as new. I'm fishing it on a spinning reel, maybe the bait caster is harder on the coated line?

For float fishing I love it, but for anything else, it's worthless. I have other rods set up for things other than floats. So if you only have one set up, and you're ever going to want to do something other than float fish, I'd suggest picking a different line.
Fish Like A Girl

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 am

blurock wrote:
That's funny. I fished it on the snake for a whole season in freezing temps and never had an issue. (Freezing enough to freeze my guides shut, and snow.)

The yellow coating will strip off if you get it snagged on rocks or something (though being a float line I don't have too many issues with that. I just trim the beat up part off the end when I tie a new swivel on, good as new. I'm fishing it on a spinning reel, maybe the bait caster is harder on the coated line?

For float fishing I love it, but for anything else, it's worthless. I have other rods set up for things other than floats. So if you only have one set up, and you're ever going to want to do something other than float fish, I'd suggest picking a different line.
The biggest problem I have had is I probably mainly cause by my inexperience with baitcasters. I would cast, mess up and get a rats nest, then once I got it undone, the line where it rubbed and cinched itself would break the yellow coating - so I would have to peel off x feet of line to get to the weak spot.

The problem I had twice yesterday was actually with the bobber stop, I would move it, and break that coating and have to cut off and re-rig. Not sure if it was the friction of moving the stop, or if I was nicking it with my fingernail when moving it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:20 pm

POWER PRO ALL THE WAY

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU