Lake fishing in Kitsat/Pierce

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
aaronandson
Angler

Lake fishing in Kitsat/Pierce

Post by aaronandson » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, I'm new to the site and am new to fishing in the NW. I want to take my 5 year old son fishing in the Kitsap/Pierce area. I've found a few lakes on here that seem great for us, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a couple of novices fishing from the shore in late summer. I'm finding most reports aren't mentioning the accessible shorelines or public docks.

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks much!

jbball50
Commander

RE:Lake fishing in Kitsat/Pierce

Post by jbball50 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Island Lake in Kitsap County would be a good spot for him. There's a dock there that trout always hang around. Also if he gets bored he can go play on the jungle gym and swingset they have there. Mornings would most likely be best since after school gets out you might get some of the kids wanting to jump in the water on the dock area.

aaronandson
Angler

Post by aaronandson » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Sounds perfect, thanks much!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:31 pm

jbball is right. Island lk. is one of the best for shore fishing and good for kids. Kitsap Lake has a small area to fish with a dock. Late summer can be tough because of the amount of cabbage that grows in that area. But as soon as it dies off it can be a great area to plunk for trout. Same goes for Square lk. in Mason. Really good for panfish and small bass to keep the kids busy from the shore but you have to wait for the green to die.
There are a few others but those three are your best bet for your time.
Sorry about Kitsap not having tons of shore fishing. It's just the card we've been dealt. As far as Pierce I have only fished lakes that are best from a boat and only have boat launch shore fishing access.
When it comes to Kitsap, Mason and Jefferson counties just ask. There are a few of us around the site that are pretty active and can steer you in the right direction. Cool dudes over here too.
Hope you have a good time with the kid. Definitely let us know how you guys do.
Also, welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it around here.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EmptyBoxes
Angler

Post by EmptyBoxes » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:30 am

Buck Lake, in North Kitsap, has three spots for shore fishing. One is a swim area that probably isn't too popular now that school is back in session. The swim area is next to a play area - swings, slide, etc. I ship my kids off there if they get bored. There's a boat launch on the north-ish end of the lake and one more small area on the south shore. Buck rounds out my trifecta of fishing spots; Point-No-Point and Eglon being the other two.

kcc
Warrant Officer

Post by kcc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:16 am

I know you mentioned Pierce/Kitsap area but i noticed you are in Federal way, so a couple of other suggestions would be Steel lake and 5 mile lake off Military rd heading toward Puyallup. They both had shore and dock fishing. Just an idea.

aaronandson
Angler

Post by aaronandson » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm right up the road from five mile lake and steel lake is about a mile or two away. My son is with his mom most of the time in gig harbor so that's why I was asking about kitsap/pierce. I think this week we're actually going to just hang out here at steel lake anyway. He's out of school on Fridays but his sister isn't so I wanted something for just him and me to do on those days. We'll have plenty of other days to check out all the area lakes. Thanks again!!

-Aaron

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:20 pm

What all those guys said...plus Long Lake in Kitsap Co at the park can be good at the fishing dock, or to the far right of the swim area...follow the trail. Good luck!
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;