Switch Rods

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lotech Joe
Commodore

Switch Rods

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:50 am

What do you all think about Switch Rods? Marc can tell you that my wading abilities are gone and I thought maybe a switch rod can get a fly to that water only wading could before.
For those that don't know what a switch rod is, it's a cross between a one handed rod and a spey rod. You can cast them one or two handed. They are longer than a typical one handed rod and shorter than a typical spey rod. They will cast quite a bit farther than a one hander, and you don't need much back-cast room.
Just wondering what your thoughts are or if anyone has tried one before.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

wolverine
Captain

RE:Switch Rods

Post by wolverine » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:03 am

LJ, I have a Beulah 10'-6" 5/6 wt, a Beulah 10'-6" 7/8 wt, 1 Sage 11' 6 wt, a TFO 11' 7 wt, and a TFO 11' 9 wt. I used to several spey rods from 12-6" to 15' but have sold them as I don't fish the big water like the Thompson where the length and power is needed. My 9 wt is only used for king salmon fishing in BC and Alaska as it overkill down here. The 7 wt TFO easily covers Washington steelhead and is overkill for hatchery brats. My 6 wt Sage is used for indicator nymphing for summer run steelhead on rivers like the Methow, Grande Ronde, Okanagon, etc. My favorite rods are the Beulahs. The 7/8 is a great rod for fishing for migrating silvers off the salt water beaches. I use the 5/6 for sea run cutthroat in salt water, and for nymphs, streamers, and chirinomids in lakes and rivers where the chance of tangling with larger trout is a possibility. I'm looking for a 4 (maybe a light 5) wt for general wet and try trout work now but before I pull the trigger the 9 wt TFO will have to go as it doesn't get fished enough.
I've been using switch rods now for 5 years and am very happy with their performance. I just turned 65 and have had surgeries on both knees, 1 hip, 1 shoulder (twice) and 1 wrist. Between a lot of football and a car accident I've definitely had my share of rehab. I don't deep wade anymore as I don't have the strength or desire to do it. Besides if I want to fish the other side of a large river I'll go to the other side and fish it. What the switch rods have done for me is that they allow me to fish longer without injury. Fishing a single hander I could only fish for 3 to 4 hours without experiencing discomfort. The switch rods with their easier motion let me fish all day. Will you get more distance from a switcher? Yes, but as you know its still about proper presentation.
Life's short - fish hard!

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:17 pm

wolverine,
Thanks for the info. That was exactly what kind of response I was looking for. I'll continue to ponder my choices, but it looks like a sharkskin line has gained some ground in my decision. I really do appreciate your input on this subject. I held a TFO 4 weight switch in my hands today and really liked it, but the budget (at $260) is still a little steep. Thanks for your help.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:37 pm

Joe, I was hesitant on trying out a switch rod. I have a spey rod and single handers but the switch just seemed unecessary. ALl that turned out to be wrong when Jerry French handed me his Gloomis switch over at the shop to cast for fun.

Overhead cast with AIrflo 40+ or Outbound on and you're booming out 80-100ft of line with ease. perfect for the beach. spey cast it for trout or small rivers and the uses are just endless.

with that said, I'm building a 7wt switch next month over at AATF with the Beulah blank.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:13 am

I built a Rainshadow 8wt switch rod last fall and it has been great. It is the same rod blank used by Fetha Styx. My wrists are bad and this rod has let me get out to the areas that only a spey rod worked before. Now the switch rod lets me get larger flies out to areas without the pain I had . I can either use it as a regular flyrod or a two handed spey type without the weight. It worked very well with the Humpies, steelhead and a chum that was aprox 17lbs without any problems. good luck to you. Check out the rainshadow rods made up in Sequim Wa. The price is very reasonable and the quality is excellent. They are sold on ebay as a kit or complete rod. any size from a 5wt to a 9wt I believe. I am building a 5wt switch now so I can use both hands on a lighter trout type rod.My wrists feel much better at the end of the day when I can use both arms to cast with. I can also cast larger flys as needed. Good Luck to you, Steve
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 02, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 pm

I think I'm about a week away from starting a switch rod build. It's Batson's RX7, 10' 8", 5 weight. I can hardly wait to cast it.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 am

Lotech Joe wrote:I think I'm about a week away from starting a switch rod build. It's Batson's RX7, 10' 8", 5 weight. I can hardly wait to cast it.
I think my next rod is going to be the same rod... a 5wt switchrod by Batson. My wrists are not very good and I found that casting with a switchrod is much easier on them. I can fish most of the day without any problems. Good luck Joe.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:45 am

Lotech Joe wrote:I think I'm about a week away from starting a switch rod build. It's Batson's RX7, 10' 8", 5 weight. I can hardly wait to cast it.
I'd like to try it when you have it done. Sounds interesting.:-k

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:
I'd like to try it when you have it done. Sounds interesting.:-k
Sure enough Marc.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:59 pm

So being newer to fly fishing, I have had the Q, for a while and you guys just asnwered some of them. Can I use my Ross reels on switch rods or do I have to re-gear reels? Are the lines the same or due I need different lines too?
Btw hey Joe sorry to hear about you back, I've been focusing on fly stuff and have been off WL for almost a year. I also haven't touched my spin/cast stuff in that time. I think I'm pretty much fly all the way.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:26 am

VHMLLC wrote:So being newer to fly fishing, I have had the Q, for a while and you guys just asnwered some of them. Can I use my Ross reels on switch rods or do I have to re-gear reels? Are the lines the same or due I need different lines too?
Btw hey Joe sorry to hear about you back, I've been focusing on fly stuff and have been off WL for almost a year. I also haven't touched my spin/cast stuff in that time. I think I'm pretty much fly all the way.
HEY STAN:) I sent you an email.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”