Snohomish River Bass.... yes Bass

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dogfish7
Petty Officer

Snohomish River Bass.... yes Bass

Post by dogfish7 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:29 pm

So over the past year or two I have been hearing through the grapevine that some folks are picking up Bass every once in a while in the Snohomish river. All that I have have heard is that these bass are being caught below the confluence of the Skykomish. Has anyone else heard this as well? I know that there are a few small lakes or ponds that hold water year round and have bass in them, at flood stage these areas can connect to the river. Just wondering if I am the only one that has heard of this Snohomish Bass Phenomenom.....

Matt
Admiral

RE:Snohomish River Bass.... yes Bass

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:45 pm

It is not uncommon at all to find smallies in river systems. I was working for Tulalip a few months back helping them run 2 smolt taps on the sky and snoq and we would get smallmouth juveniles in the trap on a regular basis, pretty much nightly we would see 1 or 2. If I had to guess I think the lower "frog water" portion of the Snoqualmie might actually be worth fishing for them, and due to the fact that no one has really targeted them in there my guess is that the adults would be very aggressive to all types of presentations.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

dogfish7
Petty Officer

Post by dogfish7 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Not sweet for our Salmonoids, however interesting.....A friend of mine informed me he had a couple of buddies fishing for pinks last year on the lower Snohomish and one guy on the boat was getting skunked. That is until he landed a smallmouth. They banned him from the boat.......:chef:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:47 pm

i would say catch and get them out of there
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:45 am

I've caught bass out of the Snohomish before. Nice diversion when having no luck on salmon.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker