Chapter #60 Mountain Muskies Newman Lake Open Tournament

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sparky1doug
Lieutenant

RE:Chapter #60 Mountain Muskies Newman Lake Open Tournament

Post by sparky1doug » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:01 pm

The Newman Lake area is inhabitated by the rare but tasty Idaho Brown Speckled Snipe. Because of the abundance of white pine and huckleberries they make this area home. They can most easily caught after dark at the Northeast side of the lake. One needs a good flashlight a burlap bag and a Rathdrum Snipe call, whittled from Twin Lakes vine maple. For more hunting information reference the Idaho Fish and Game web site and click on Non-resident knot heads who Snipe hunt. Hey Craig, does anyone still need a partner the Newman Tourney? Will bring personal Snipe Whistle.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Just a reminder to sign up before the Newman Tournament on August 14th if you want to fish it for sure, theirs not a lot of room left so shoot me a email with your name and info and I'll sign you up. Check out the website for the tournament rules. president@mountainmuskie.com or web site www.mountainmuskies.com
YJ Guide Service 509-999-0717

Official WashingtonLakes.com Guide Sponsor
YJ Guide Service Guide/Owner
Jerry's Lure Design Field Staff

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Doug i think there might be one person who needs a partner are you going to come on over? I have 3 snip whistles for sale if you need one. I just got done mending my snipe bag since the last few i caught ripped the bag all up. I actually got one that was about 6oz. My whistle is actually made from the root of a moose knuckle muffler bearing tree. Long live the Muskie and Muskies Inc. Mountain Muskies Chapter 60

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Doug if your not coming over i think my daughters going to fish with mark over here, but if your coming then shell give her spot up to you lol.

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:56 am

Let your daughter fish it. I've got a softball fast pitch clinic to attend and really should be there anyway. I will be there for sure in October for the Pike tourney on the Pend Orielle. I haven't seen a real Moose Knuckle Root whistle since 1978 when I hunted extensively with my good buddy Jack Danials. JD later was caught driving my hunting truck in Priest River, I'm now forbidden to hunt with him. Good luck on your first tourney, wish I could be there.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:09 am

Here are the results from the 1st annual Newman Lake Tournament for chapter 60. Herb Zielke and Don Grove came in first with a total of 85" and the biggest being 45"x19.5". Second place went to Alishia Garrison and Mark Kendale with a total of 46". Alishia's fish of 46"x20" was also the big fish of the tournament, Alishia is the daughter of chapter President Craig Dowdy and secretary Melodie Dowdy. Third place was raffled off and went to Chris and Chuck Gades. We had a total of 5 tigers caught 1 of which wasn't verified before it self released itself. Melodie Dowdy caught a 26" Tiger that wasn't a legal fish in the tournament but still a Tiger, she also caught a 26" Pike. We had a sucessful raffle after all the fishing was all done. I want to thank Jani and Tammy for coming all that way to represent chapter 57 and support our efforts. We cant wait till next year to have our next tournament. We will be supporting chapter 57 and their tournament schedule for the rest of this year.I want to thank everyone in chapter 60 that helped put this together without everyone working together it wouldnt have gone as well as it did. Chapter 60 Mountain Muskies also adopted its new logo, hopefully soon it will be posted on our website for everyone to see, thanks Alishia for putting that together. I want to Thank Newman Lake Resort and Marina for allowing us to have our tournament there and for the great bbq afterwards, your the best. I would also like to thank the following sponsors for their support of us at this event: AX Tackle,C.S. Lures, Tackle Industries,Blade Runner Tackle,The Musky Shop,Norisada Baits,Warehouse Sports,Cabelos,LAX Reproductions, and Roundtable Pizza. Without their support our chapter couldn't afford to do any events, so THANK YOU.......

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:36 am

Congratulations! Well done on that 1st Tourney. I see the Dowdy Gang was very successful, I guess Alishia is carrying on the family tradition well. My daughter (Maddy) said the girls would rule, she was right. Was there bbq snipe?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 am

Sounds like ya'all had a good time.

Good job on the monsters.

MoMo
Angler

Post by MoMo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:06 pm

The tournament was great. The Muskie were definately giving Chapter a good day for the first tournament. I could not be prouder of Alisha and her father. Craig is a great teacher and Alisha is evidently a very very good student!

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:31 pm

What a blast! And the Toureny could not have been more professioanlly run! #60 ROCKS! Very well done and what a lot of fun- everyone was relaxed and had a great time. It was First Rate all the way. You could tell you guys had done a lot of work to make the whole day run smooth. Nice job!:cheers:

I have a few photos, but I know there are a lot more - with FISH!!. Thanks again, for the help - we 2 from #57 could not have fished it without the generosity of Craig and Doug!
Newman is a great lake and both Tammy and I loved it!
It must be nice to have it so close to home, eh, #60?

Thanks again for the warm welcome! Looks like both #57 and #60 have the same goals: support the WDFW, have fun, grow the club and the Muskies, Inc. name... WTG, Mountain Muskies!!!
Attachments
SAM_0329.JPG
SAM_0329.JPG (68.26 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
SAM_0326.JPG
SAM_0326.JPG (74.48 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
SAM_0324.JPG
SAM_0324.JPG (59.32 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
SAM_0322.JPG
SAM_0322.JPG (73.59 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
SAM_0313.JPG
SAM_0313.JPG (71.82 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:01 pm

It was a blast, alot of work but well worth the effort. I cant wait till next year hopefully we have a even bigger turnout then this year. Looks like the challenge has been put out to chapter 57 and the upcoming curlew tourney. The winner will take home the coveted bucket trophy, as long as i can get it completed by then lol... hope to see everyone there in Sept.... Chapter 60 Mountain Muskies