Cons of running a jet pump in the salt?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Matt
Admiral

Cons of running a jet pump in the salt?

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Hey all,

Looking into a new boat and as many of us am looking for a boat that can "do it all" from rivers and ponds to the salt. There is no REAL solution to this quandary, but some boats come close. I have been looking closely at a Wooldridge Xtra Plus or an Alumaweld Stryker (to name a couple). I like both hulls, although the alumaweld is probably better suited in the salt.

I am going back and forth between prop and pump and can't really decide although most of the good deals I have seen all come with a pump. I would love to get into some skinny water with a boat, but I am a sled newB. Gotta start somewhere. My question is this: What are the obvious CONS of running a pump in the salt? I understand there is a 30% loss of efficiency over a propeller which is one obvious problem for making long runs, but what else should I be concerned with? Is corrosion a serious issue? Cavitation?

Opinions appreciated.

Matt
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Cons of running a jet pump in the salt?

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:17 pm

I have a 15 ft klamath with a jet which I've used in saltwater and the only problem I've ever had was running through kelp and getting a clogged intake, which means having to stop and clean it out immediately. On my boat I can just reach over and do this, a bigger boat may be a harder deal. With a prop you just go in reverse and that generally clears it, but that hasn't been my experience with a jet. On the other hand, jets are great for running skinny water and I love my boat for that ability.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 am

Depending on your style of hull, a major issue I find is wind. When it is windy out and you are running a shallow draft boat with a pump, the wind will blow you around with ease. If you fish by yourself, it makes it very difficult to set up and troll. Throw in downriggers and you really have to work to get things out and stay on track. Having a prop helps, it acts as a keel and having a kicker will help a bit more. You may also need to invest in some drift socks. If you do decide on a pump, you might just need to pass on some of the more questionable days on the salt and hit the rivers instead.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:56 am

i have a buddy(i know amaze'n huh) that ordered a prop lower unit the day he bought his lil sled and changes it out all the time.....takes bout 15 mins....note: i've been in that boat out on the sound on a pretty windy day and even with the prop it was a lil tough to handle because of the hull design....DOG

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:04 am

Great thread, I have been wondering the same thing. I am considering upgrading from my 20 HP 4 stroke prop yammi to the 40/30 HP 4 stroke pump yammi. I think that the 40/30 would be a perfect match for my boat. The boat floats in just 6-8” of water so I should be able to run in a foot of water. Living just a short distance from the Skagit I would like to be able to run the river and fish areas currently inaccessible with my prop. I know what the general pros are, but what are the cons? My transom is 20” and the 40/30 is designed for a 20” transom so transom height should not be an issue. I have a 9 degrees dead rise at the transom so I think that there would be a clean flow of water to the pump intake. Again great thread and I look forward to reading everybody’s input.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:46 am

rseas wrote:Great thread, I have been wondering the same thing. I am considering upgrading from my 20 HP 4 stroke prop yammi to the 40/30 HP 4 stroke pump yammi. I think that the 40/30 would be a perfect match for my boat. The boat floats in just 6-8” of water so I should be able to run in a foot of water. Living just a short distance from the Skagit I would like to be able to run the river and fish areas currently inaccessible with my prop. I know what the general pros are, but what are the cons? My transom is 20” and the 40/30 is designed for a 20” transom so transom height should not be an issue. I have a 9 degrees dead rise at the transom so I think that there would be a clean flow of water to the pump intake. Again great thread and I look forward to reading everybody’s input.
One thing to keep in mind, the guage of the aluminum hull. True river jet boats are pretty heavy guage. My Klamath is like a tin can. I have put a few good dents into to it running the river and grounding (that was an OUCH). So consider you won't be able to fly around like the hardcore jets. That said, it really is liberating to not worry about prop issues, whether salt, lake, or river. You'll love it on the Skagit. Regarding the earlier comment, yup, my boat blows in the wind pretty easy, due in part to a steep rise deep vee bow that transitions to a flat hull. Windy days are not much fun. But that's my boat - it's also quite light, your's may not be so bad.

DoubleR
Petty Officer

Post by DoubleR » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:41 am

Matt, this Outdoor Line Podcast may interest you.

The Do-It-All Boat
Grant Wooldridge and Rob Hyatt talk about designing and building the Do-It-All Boat.

http://podcasts.theoutdoorline.com/audi ... aspx?a=578

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:44 am

all the cons I know of have been listed just like any motor insure you flush it with fresh after running in the salt.

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 am

Get a prop lower unit and swap it out whenever you want. First couple of times takes a few hours, but after that, you can dial it down to around an hour after you've tried it a few times...

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks for all the replies so far! I have pretty much decided not to buy a second lower unit for my own reasons although I know many people choose to change between the two regularly. For those that don't know, you can't flush a jet in the same manner that your flush you prop motor, it requires an adapter (pictured below).

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:53 pm

also you lose power with a pump in lakes and salt water up to 25% power drop. so like said get the conversion kit, my friend owner and operator of twisted steel guide sevice swaps his pump to prop making it easier to work in the salt and not lose power and performace.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:43 pm

G-mans point in being difficult to handle when setting up downriggers is indeed very hard by yourself....To solve that problem i bought a TR1 auto pilot. I cannot stress how much it is worth. I take my boat in salt and lakes (lake WA is worse then the salt IMO when all the pleasure boaters are out as the waves in salt seem to always go one way)and ive a hard top too, yes you can get blown around but i try and get off the water. As for the losing power it is true still when it is calm i can nail it to 50mph. and in chop well everyone slows down. If i was to but another boat id also be torn on final choice but i would prob buy a 26 DIS bayliner as i like comfort when im fishing...and the simple fact i mostly fish lakes.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:53 pm

why not get a prop trim up. if you get a pump have a good kicker and yall be fine.
fish on!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:23 pm

saltyseadog wrote:why not get a prop trim up. if you get a pump have a good kicker and yall be fine.
Absolutely, for trolling the kicker goes down.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:35 pm

there never will be a do it all boat you always will be giving alittle here but gettin some there. get a prop i know you like the bay:-#
fish on!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Quoted from original post:
Matt wrote: I understand there is a 30% loss of efficiency over a propeller which is one obvious problem for making long runs, but what else should I be concerned with?
curado wrote:also you lose power with a pump in lakes and salt water up to 25% power drop. so like said get the conversion kit
Hehe, thanks Curado.

Well, I've been looking at a nice Xtra plus for 2 days now and am leaning towards sealing the deal.....:cheers:

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Matt are u getting the forward helm version or the tiller. get the wooldridge instead of the alumaweld bottoms suck on them. look into willie to.
P.S. Matt the sled u are lookin at is a awsome boat. thats what my friend started with. but moved onto willie raptor 24fter.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Its the forward helm with a canvas and drop curtain. 115 yami pump with a 15 hp kicker. We should probly go out and try it out sometime soon if I do pick it up :cheers:

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:29 pm

i am game. i will kickin some $ how much is it and what year

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:10 pm

I've been asking around down at the docks and it sounds like getting blown around by wind and shifted easily by current are the biggest worries running a pump in open water environments. Drift socks should help out... some.