People calling out fish on the Skok being ticketed.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
flinginpooh
Captain

People calling out fish on the Skok being ticketed.

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:49 pm

I heard from my cuz even that this was going on. I heard it all week so far on the river. I heard it here in the forums. I said enough with the heresay and called them today. They said BS. There is no rule that says you cant call out where fish are in the water. Now those that call out and then try and snag fish is a different story. If you just try and drift in the hole theyre in without an aggressive hookset your fine. They are trying to cut down on snagging. Not the use of a cheap fish finder.
More fish please!

donman
Warrant Officer

RE:People calling out fish on the Skok being ticketed.

Post by donman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks! That makes me feel better about F&W

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:55 pm

No problem. I just couldnt believe that this was true. I mean Ive been fishing the rivers here with my family for almost 30 years or so. Ive never heard of this rule at all. I had to find out.
More fish please!

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:26 pm

Off topic, what nation are you? I had a great conversation with some tribal elders on the Skok last Thursday night. Really cool people, 5 generations fishing the same hole above the log jam.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Im snoqualmie. I have blackfoot blood aswell. But the majority is snoqualmie.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:40 pm

flinginpooh wrote:I heard from my cuz even that this was going on. I heard it all week so far on the river. I heard it here in the forums. I said enough with the heresay and called them today. They said BS. There is no rule that says you cant call out where fish are in the water. Now those that call out and then try and snag fish is a different story. If you just try and drift in the hole theyre in without an aggressive hookset your fine. They are trying to cut down on snagging. Not the use of a cheap fish finder.
You owe me a Bottle of Crown, I am not cheap. :cyclopsan
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:46 pm

You might be the mighty slayer of steelies. But how I look at it is your 2 down in the world of Kings. So I feel Im not cheap and if ya need a lesson Ill give ya one for free. Since ya shared your jig with me. But only one then I charge. Ill be tearing it up again this week.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:07 pm

flinginpooh wrote:You might be the mighty slayer of steelies. But how I look at it is your 2 down in the world of Kings. So I feel Im not cheap and if ya need a lesson Ill give ya one for free. Since ya shared your jig with me. But only one then I charge. Ill be tearing it up again this week.
Season just started my friend. Actually, I am way ahead if we are counting from beginning of 2010. I have caught 3 springers(1 a jack). Go thru my 2010 FB pic's if you want to check again. And both fish were about 18 - 20lbs and the jack about 4lbs. 40lbs?

Do you like apples? [flapper] [flapper]

And I was replying to your comment about a cheap fish finder, I am not cheap- I was trying to be funny, ha ha funny.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Way ahead lol 1 fish more and they was caught by mistake. You wasnt even targeting springers you was trying to get ya some steel. You still cant drift fish. LOL After this week youll be down by 1 atleast. I seen them fishing the mouth of the nasty. Heard anything yet?
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:59 am

flinginpooh wrote:Way ahead lol 1 fish more and they was caught by mistake. You wasnt even targeting springers you was trying to get ya some steel. You still cant drift fish. LOL After this week youll be down by 1 atleast. I seen them fishing the mouth of the nasty. Heard anything yet?
Yeah, something about how a lot of salmon are being stuck in low tidal pools. High tide will get them going. My buddy got 3 sunday. Slow for bankies.
"One more......."

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:20 am

My buddy took a friend down to the Skok 8-10-10 he sent me a picture I thought Reiter was bad elbow to elbow . So my buddies friend foul hooks a fish in the fin he tells him to release it back he told him no . The guy next to him snaggs a fish brings it in keeps it about 20 minutes later the guy next to him gets a fish on see's the warden coming drops his pole and starts running. So the warden walks down the line writing about 4 tickets including my buddies friend . I have never been to the Skok but it sounds a little to crazy for me aatleast on the bank .

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:11 am

I can't believe they have the special "IN THE MOUTH" rule down there. Cheek hooks and head hooks are not legit... c'mon that's overregulation at its finest! I can't even count the number of times I have hooked fish on spinners and spoons that slashed at the lure and were hooked in the cheek, same with hoochie trolling. What a stupid rule.

#-o
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:29 am

Matt wrote:I can't believe they have the special "IN THE MOUTH" rule down there. Cheek hooks and head hooks are not legit... c'mon that's overregulation at its finest! I can't even count the number of times I have hooked fish on spinners and spoons that slashed at the lure and were hooked in the cheek, same with hoochie trolling. What a stupid rule.

#-o
Personally I like this rule.
"One more......."

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 pm

jens wrote:
Matt wrote:I can't believe they have the special "IN THE MOUTH" rule down there. Cheek hooks and head hooks are not legit... c'mon that's overregulation at its finest! I can't even count the number of times I have hooked fish on spinners and spoons that slashed at the lure and were hooked in the cheek, same with hoochie trolling. What a stupid rule.

#-o
Until you have to release a fish that is hooked in the eye.

The deal is that we wouldn't need these types of rules if folks just had an ounce of integrity. In the service, we had a term for folks that would inevitably screw it up for everyone else, they were the "10%". On the Skok my guess is that number may be a bit low.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:56 pm

G-Man wrote:
jens wrote:

#-o
Until you have to release a fish that is hooked in the eye.

The deal is that we wouldn't need these types of rules if folks just had an ounce of integrity. In the service, we had a term for folks that would inevitably screw it up for everyone else, they were the "10%". On the Skok my guess is that number may be a bit low.
I still like this rule regardless of where the fish is hooked. If it isn't in the mouth then sorry, back in the water. I wish this rule would be enforced on all rivers. Weed out the snaggers.
"One more......."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Back in the days of fishing the Skok. There were never Gamies anywhere to be found. Snagging was being done by tribal and eastern Europeans mainly. There were a few rednecks to boot as well. I find those who snag rarely punch cards nor did they have licences. In talking to a gamie once about that . he said he didnt speak forign languages so there was no need to try to enforce the rules. Im not saying all are that way but you see it in Seattle all the time.The Skok can be hotter then hot . Its just not worth the hassel. Id rather buy from the gillnetters at 2 bucks a pound.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Shane
Petty Officer

Post by Shane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:14 pm

I agree with jens on the rule.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Yeah, part of the reason why I stopped going to the Skok is because of all the snaggers and hoards of people there a few years ago when I was silver fishing there.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:32 pm

Yupp, this is true. One lady was there and she got a ticket for $560.00 for spotting out fish and then she also got a ticket for attempting to snag even though she wasnt but her total ticket was about $890.00 i believe. So whats the point of these glasses they sell to us. If we cant use them.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:55 pm

The skok is a joke, I hope they hire a few wardens to sit there during this king run and ticket the folks around the clock for all the unethical fishing that goes on there...

The funny thing is, there's a ton of kings in there that will readily bite a nice chunk of eggs as long as folks aren't ripping hooks thru the hole....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....