My first spotted bass

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
10Key
Petty Officer

My first spotted bass

Post by 10Key » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:47 am

I was in Central Cali for a much needed vacation last week and I was able to land my first spotted bass, from the bank I might add. It was kind of a fluke considering I was fishing so shallow and targeting sunfish/bluegill. From what I read, the spots in this reservoir are typically located in depths up to 30 feet this time of year, I guess this one was straying. I left the pic this size to show more detail of the coloring...the tell-tail sign was the tooth patch on the tongue.

rjn cajun
Captain

RE:My first spotted bass

Post by rjn cajun » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 am

Looks like a LMB to me. But then again I`ve never caught a spotted bass. Great pic.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:17 am

My first thought was the same as rjn's, but I've never heard of spotted bass, so had to look it up. I noticed that you caught this fish in CA after the fact #-o , so it makes more sense now. Thanks for the pic.:cheers:

Here is a link to some info on the spotted bass for the curious.
Spotted bass

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:42 am

Spotted bass have a smaller mouth like a smallmouth, but not quite as small.

The largemouth's mouth goes back to where a line could be drawn down from behind the eye down to the corner of the mouth.

That fish has a small/short mouth.
Tom.

Interests: living

10Key
Petty Officer

Post by 10Key » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:08 am

Yes, the coloring of a spot looks very similar to a largie...But, the tell-tail indication of a spot versus a largie is the small, "toothy" patch located on their tongue. The fish was very small, but when I hooked it I thought I had a 2 or 3 pounder. They fight like the dickens.

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:38 am

10Key wrote:Yes, the coloring of a spot looks very similar to a largie...But, the tell-tail indication of a spot versus a largie is the small, "toothy" patch located on their tongue. The fish was very small, but when I hooked it I thought I had a 2 or 3 pounder. They fight like the dickens.
Yep. On a bigger spotted bass, it's not nearly so easy to tell the difference until you have it in the boat. I've only seen a couple of spotted bass in my life, and that toothy spot on the tongue is the only definite give away.

I kind of wish we had them up here. They don't quite occupy the same niche/space that largemouth do.
Donny - Software Engineer

It's time to catch bass and chew bubble gum, guys... and I'm all out of gum

cory_fish10
Angler

Post by cory_fish10 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Plus the dorsal fins are different.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:26 pm

10Key wrote:Yes, the coloring of a spot looks very similar to a largie...But, the tell-tail indication of a spot versus a largie is the small, "toothy" patch located on their tongue. The fish was very small, but when I hooked it I thought I had a 2 or 3 pounder. They fight like the dickens.
The coloring is the indication for me, typically very white belly. The profile is too. I've caught a couple similar size ones at Kentucky lake.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.