You Just Cant Beet it.

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

You Just Cant Beet it.

Post by racfish » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:39 am

Went to Yakima this Sat morn . I have not been doing or sleeping very well lately.So at 4:00 am I left for the Eastside.I stopped and fished the ponds first. I caught two trout (12" at best) released them both.Then took I82 into Yakima.I stopped to visit some Mex friends and had Dezaiunu (breakfast) with them and smoked the peace pipe with some other locals.Then on to the farms. I bought a case of pickling Beets and more okra.I was basking in 85 degree weather ,it felt great UNTIL>>>>The ride home .Thunder,Lightning,Hail,Rain ,High winds made driving a real hell.I pulled off the side of the road ,visibility was 0 feet.I watched alot of lightning touch ground around me. I was kinda shaken up .After an hour I returned to the road and came home to sunny Seattle.

Upon returning home I started washing the beets and prepping for a weekend of canning.I put up 20 pints and 4 quarts of pickled beets along with another 12 pints of Okra.This case goes to the University of Georgia.Its all fairly easy work just real time consuming.This kinda work helps me to forget my woes allthough I mustve cried a gallon of tears over this last weekend. I cant shake the feeling of sadness and a loneliness.When my kid left me to do his time ,a large part of me has stopped living.
The beets were med sized and just very dark meat which is great for pickling.Beets pickle and store well. Try them.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

RE:You Just Cant Beet it.

Post by Pradeep » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:08 am

Keep pushing Rac. Just gotta keep on pushing. Day by day things will settle into place.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:55 am

I finally got the red stains off my hands ,counters,pots,and floor from the beets.Beets can be so messy.I dropped one slice on the floor and it went red for 3 days.Beets are so good but boy does it scare the bejeezus out of you for the first couple days going tee-tee.LOL
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:47 pm

ate some beets last night wife boiled em, butter salt pepper thats it. i like them pickled treager
beets??????
fish on!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:53 am

I just got my Traeger fixed last night. I've had to change my Hot Rod 2 times now. I use my Traeger just about everynite. Smoked then pickled sounds very interesting SSD. Good Idea. I'll try it and let you know.I do like grilled beets. I will save you a jar SSD.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill G
Petty Officer

Post by Bill G » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:54 am

How do you grill your beets Racfish?
I'm not in the toilet yet, but I'm definitely standing on the rim.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:13 pm

I use the smaller size beets first of all.I spray a lil Pam on mine cuz I need to watch my oil intake. Normally just a spray of olive oil put them off the fire on the grill. Thats the beauty of a Traeger.(Food never gets in contact with flame.) I cook them till they are tender. I dont season them cuz I love that earthy root taste that beets have.Just dont panic the next morning.I like the 1"-3" size best .Different size different timming. I let the skin char just a tad . Makes it easier to peel.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:02 am

rac, save me a jar? that would be sweet!!!!:chef:
fish on!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:06 am

SSD Im not having too good of luck on the smoked canned beets. Ive tried a few times now. Just need better timminh=g on the smoking /cooking part. One time they were too soft and the other they were still too hard.What I did do that was good was to just marinade the beets in rice vinager after they had smoked.I'll keep on working this out till I perfect it.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:58 pm

lol we might be on to a new thing rac... ill split the profit with ya
fish on!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:50 pm

I ve been told many times by people that I should sell my stuff. It would sell. I like these things as my hobby. What I do with some people is trade our stuff we can. I have about 5 people now that I trade things with.

The original custom was if I give you a jar of jam then you give me my jar back with something in it.This starts the jar passing back and forth.When I give my cousin pickled veggies she gives me back pickling spices in return.Its a great old American custom. One I hope never dies off.

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Grilled beets? Never had'em.

Would they be good on Kabobs?

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”