Is nobody fishing A9???

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BARCHASER10
Captain

RE:Is nobody fishing A9???

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm giving Possession a shot tomorrow. I'm back from Ucluelet, fished 4 days, last Fri through Monday. Two of us limited with 4 chinooks each and three halibut. The chinooks were small this year. Easy strikes but a lot of small chinooks 8-12. We had to release a lot of fish and the ones we kept were 15 to 24.

I see most guys are way down deep. I've always had mixed feelings about fishing deep for migrating fish. Deep for Blackmouth yes, but for migrating fish I do better at 60-90 feet.

I'll prob fish the SW corner, maybe try Pilot Pt also. NR Seahawk, blue trim, Salty Dog sticker on the window. Wave if you see me.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:24 pm

I really wish i could still go out and troll on the riggers, i miss it. Has anyone been fishing the trench up by the green can at possesion? ive caught alot of nice summer time kings in and around that thing
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:43 pm

wintersteelhead wrote:Hey Matt, You look really familiar. Was it you asking me about my 18' Phantom last sunday eve in Everett?
Yessir that would be me. Mr. Evening-time fish checker at the Everett ramp. Say hi next time you come through. :salut:
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by wintersteelhead » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:02 am

With the amount of fishing you do, I figured I would meet you on the Sky. I will say "HI" next time im on the ramp in the eve. Going out with Dad on Sunday, but our quit time is noon-ish so I doubt I will see ya.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:50 am

I haven't actually been on the river in at least a month due to all the other opportunities that have opened up in other areas. Been more inclined to take the boat out and burn some fuel :-& My shift doesn't start till 2pm so depending on when you pull out you may or may not bump into me. Good luck out there, I've seen a few monsters this week, 22-24lbs!

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:24 pm

We'll I tried area 10, and anyone trying to decide to go 9 or 10...
Stay in 9 ;)

All I caught was a flounder... though saw some fish coming out of Kingston at the ramp.

I'll be out at Possession tomorrow with Dad. Hopefully the luck out there will continue! :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Like A Girl

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:31 pm

Checked fish at Mukilteo today. 30 some odd fish for around 55 boats. Pt no pt sounds like it was off the hook around 1:00pm, might try mooching that midday tide change for some keepers.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:46 pm

Fishing the tide change has been the best bet for me lately.... Lately the afternoon high tide, and hour or so on either side has been real good. Much better than the morning swings...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:29 pm

I'd second that A9, we've been noticing the same thing in our boat.
And it's nice not to have to crawl out of bed at 4am! ;)
Fish Like A Girl

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by wintersteelhead » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:06 am

Crawling out at 4? Thats sleeping in! Thats the time i put the boat in the water. I would rather be early than to wait for an hour at the launch. We had a thread a while back on launch behavior, so far this year............UMMM....... YA...... I like to be early.

By the way, I have to say that this year is way better than last. This year i'm having trouble deciding where to go cause the fish are all over. Last year, was trying to find out where the fish are.

Thanks for the info on PNP. Dad wants to mooch and sunday's morning high sets it up perfect.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:06 pm

Maybe next week I'll try the evening tides. Fished Possession yesterday, on the water at 6:30 and fished until 1:30. Fished through the morning high tide change. Mostly west side and SW corner. Trolled flasher/squids/spoons, even a Tomic for awhile. 90 to 150 on the DR. Didnt see much action and I didnt get any takedowns. A lot of guideboats around me from both Everett and Shilshole. I'm mostly a troller. I thought about hitting Pilot Pt or slightly west of Pt No Pt. but I stayed with Possession. Marked a lot of bait but not that many fish. After spending last week fishing the ocean at Ukee, I can vouch for the fact that the ocean has lots and lots of chinooks. Maybe the bulk of the run isnt here yet.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:03 pm

Gonna be on the water for the next four or 5 days, hopefully ya'll still left some out there for me...

Jsmooth
Petty Officer

Post by Jsmooth » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:46 pm

Im gonna be at A9 on Aug. 24th & 25th w/ 3 friends. All sounds promising so far. Will be my first outting for salmon ever. Hope to bring a cooler full of fish and a cooler full of crab back to Spokane to enjoy for months to come. Curious though< what does "PT NO PT" mean? Thanks for all the info.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:53 pm

Jsmooth wrote:Im gonna be at A9 on Aug. 24th & 25th w/ 3 friends. All sounds promising so far. Will be my first outting for salmon ever. Hope to bring a cooler full of fish and a cooler full of crab back to Spokane to enjoy for months to come. Curious though< what does "PT NO PT" mean? Thanks for all the info.
pt no pt = Point No Point. It is a geographic location. Should be able to find it on a map of the Sound.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

Post by Bro-Rando » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:13 pm

Any word on the quota? Will 9 stay open all the way to August 16th? Only a couple more weekends:-&
Certainty is for those who have learned and believed only one truth...

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:19 pm

wintersteelhead wrote:Crawling out at 4? Thats sleeping in! Thats the time i put the boat in the water. I would rather be early than to wait for an hour at the launch. We had a thread a while back on launch behavior, so far this year............UMMM....... YA...... I like to be early.
Ahh, well the boats kept on the island, so we actually get to launch AT the possession ramp, and not hassel with all the people at Shilshole Everett and Mukilteo. It's actually quiet nice as long as the tides not way out #-o

I'm heading out again tomorrow morning, and possibly Saturday, though I'm thinking I'm going to stop by the Top Gun sporting clays shoot on Sat and see how thats going. Maybe take my rod and try to catch some of the planter trout in the ponds. ;)

Got 2 nice fish to the boat last weekend. One 12lb hatchery and another 14ish Native. Caught the native with about 10-15 minutes of light left in the day, trolling 3.5mph with 65feet of cable out on the DR, that was a blast!
Fishing Brads Cut Plugs and Green Ace Hi's again.

Good luck out there guys! See ya on the water!
Fish Like A Girl

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:03 pm

There's a lot of bait out there, so match lures accordingly and fish deep. It's kind of hit or miss out there. I've had some outings where limits are easy but other times 4-5 hours without a bump. Fortunately, theres a good amount of bait in the spots I've been fishing so it definitely helps to fish around bait since thats where the Kings are....

I've only caught a few fish shallower than 90 feet this season... Most of my fish have been caught with anywhere from 100-130 feet of cable out..

Hopefully this weekends rain will pull some fresh fish in from the ocean.... There's already been some big fish taken this summer so some late August Kings could really be beefy...

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Posted a report yesterday shown below. I listened to the charter boats on 79 and they werent doing much. There are a few fish out there. I talked to the WDFW biologists in that green trim North River with the WDFW crest on the side. Cant miss their boat. Where the boat number usually are there is just letters that say WDFW. They said the bite is usually either very early or around the morning tide change and not much more after that.

Dropped the gear in at 6:30AM by myself on the west side of Possession right around low slack. Nailed a 15 pound female at 7AM about 1/2 mile south of the Skagit buoy. Lots of bait and fish marks on the screen but they all seemed to disappear around 8-9:00. Wind came up and lots of weed in the water, so I ran over to Pilot Point until 1:00. Talked to one guy at Pilot Pt who said he boated 4 fish between 5 and 6AM. Early bite.

100 foot of water, 90 on the DR, green Hot Spot and green Octopus OG142R squid, my fav!

EmptyBoxes
Angler

Post by EmptyBoxes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Put the kayak in at Eglon around 10:30-11:00. Herring were jumping all over. Hit the rips with just about everything I had including drifting and casting a BuzzBomb. Nada. Probably not the best time of day/tide/etc. But I have to take the opportunity to fish when it's available.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:40 am

Rumor has it the fishing has been lights out for coho this week. I think those Sekiu fish from last week have showed up, they are big, and may only be here for a day or two before they shoot up the river. The snohomish is already heating up!