agree or disagree with flossing

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
scott080379
Commodore

RE:agree or disagree with flossing

Post by scott080379 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:26 am

Some hatcheries are ran by the tribes and others by the state. Tribal hatcheries are state funded though.

Big Smooth
Petty Officer

Post by Big Smooth » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:36 am

Bodofish wrote:Flossing is still the biggest load of snivily, whiney, horse pucky I hear out of fisherpersons mouths. Snagging is one thing, it's a cheap shot and is a far cry from using a long leader. I don't think there's anybody out there that has video of steelhead sitting on the bottom with their mouths gaping wide, waiting for the "floss" to be dragged through. It just doesn't happen. If you're sure of yourself, show me the video. There's a video of every other type of hookup. Show me.

It's all just sour grapes from an elitist few, started on another forum through boredom. Not mention, it makes a great vehicle for attacking new members that aren't part of the click.

Next thing will be those darn fly guys flossing with long leaders.... 9 foot leader with a 4 foot tippet....... Floss away baby!

Personally I'll fish with any kind of leader I want and leave the flossing for string bikinis.
Well said.
I like it when I can call it Catching!

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:41 pm

For everyone thats against flossing
"Anglers fishing the Skokomish River also will be required to release any salmon not hooked inside the mouth and retain the first two legal salmon they catch. In addition, single-point barbless hooks are required and a night closure and anti-snagging rule will be in effect. "
new rules for the skok
what do you guys think about these? good or bad?
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:53 pm

good, keeps people from high grading and people will not be there as long looking for the 20 plus pound fish. Last year was a big issue with trash a human fecal matter and I think that most of this is to help with those issues. Also there were 100's of tickets issued on the skok last year for snagging. the rest of the new rules are to help fight this problem.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:07 pm

If the State doesn't want fish caught in a certain river or section of river, they should just close it. If they really wanted to protect the native stock, the Skok should be closed whenever the river flow gets low as this is when the water temps shoot up and the snaggers come out in force. I also believe that the State is looking for the sportsman to cull the hatchery fish from the natives so I really don't grasp the change in reg regarding the hook needing to be inside the mouth. If you have a hatchery fish in hand, why release it just because it wasn't hooked in a specific way?

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:16 pm

fear_no_fish wrote:For everyone thats against flossing
"Anglers fishing the Skokomish River also will be required to release any salmon not hooked inside the mouth and retain the first two legal salmon they catch. In addition, single-point barbless hooks are required and a night closure and anti-snagging rule will be in effect. "
new rules for the skok
what do you guys think about these? good or bad?
Good even though it won't really keep the snaggers from doing it either way, since they were already snagging before this was made.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Well im dissappointed in the topic myself flossing is legal: tick, tick, tick, no tick strike that kids is drift fishing. Curado instead of taking the piss outta KIDS walk over with your 4' leader and show them the correct way.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Just means that I cought them all outside of the mouth until I get the 2 I want on the skok. 1 needs to be over 30lbs so I have an inercircle bragging right / rename some of the well known river guys nics battle we have going on. Tune in for more info and see whos nics might end up changed and who has the bragging rights of first lil piggy. Oh and there is a lil part left out on the update for the skok. They will ticket ya for not cleaning after yourself also. Read the regs for more info. Gl all.
More fish please!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:19 pm

sickbayer, i do teach kids. i have taught alot of them on the river and adults to. i said its funny becuase once they get the hang of feeling the bottom out they understand how confusing and challenging river fishing can be
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:56 am

In that case curado i take my post back, information and education is what we all need sometimes. Still your post wouldve come across way better if you mention the full details rather than the way you did.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:46 am

flinginpooh wrote:Just means that I cought them all outside of the mouth until I get the 2 I want on the skok. 1 needs to be over 30lbs so I have an inercircle bragging right / rename some of the well known river guys nics battle we have going on. Tune in for more info and see whos nics might end up changed and who has the bragging rights of first lil piggy. Oh and there is a lil part left out on the update for the skok. They will ticket ya for not cleaning after yourself also. Read the regs for more info. Gl all.
:bounce: :bounce: :cyclopsan
"One more......."

dogfish7
Petty Officer

Post by dogfish7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:36 pm

I'll use the term Flossing to make My point which is my opinion. Flossing is legal.I've caught all my steel and salmon in the rivers in the mouth. Flossing is a term used by the self righteous fisherpeople who never do wrong (Hahahaha). To heck with them. If I want a fish I go catch one or try at least. If I'm using too long of leader in your mind and you see me doing it ,Its best to shut up and not get in my face about it.
As far as the Skok goes its a madhouse zoo and sickens me to even go there so I dont.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:54 pm

dogfish7 wrote:Ok, so extra long leaders that sweep through the drift and intentionally hook fish from the outside of mouth (snagging them) versus the inside of the mouth (hooking from a strike) is flossing, which is snagging, not fishing, thus illegal. Using long leaders that will promote a fish to strike and be hooked inside the mouth is fishing, thus legal.
Negative, if the fish is hooked in the head, it's legal. Barring testimony from the fish, that it didn't willingly take the bait, you can't say it isn't legal, particulary since the regulation says that fish hooked in the head are legal. Obviously it's a problem in places, so they modified the rule for those locations to say "in the mouth"
Lee