Quillayute help for this weakend

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jsmith78
Petty Officer

Quillayute help for this weakend

Post by jsmith78 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:02 pm

I am gonna be fishing the Quillayute this weekend. I have never fished that river or around the forks area before. Does any one have any good advice or knowledge on where and how to fish this river?

donman
Warrant Officer

RE:Quillayute help for this weakend

Post by donman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Quillayute is a good plunking river. But I would advise on going to the Callawah or fishing the Sol Duc instead. Fish are just zipping by the Q just to get to their spawning grounds.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm

I agree with Don.....yes people catch fish on the Q but there are not really and holding areas so they just zip on through. If you fish the callawah, the hatchery hole can produce but buy a couple clear bobbers small jigs and tip the jig with prawn or sand shrimp. There are two outfitter stores in Forks only go to the one in the ace hardware store. The other one sucks and doesn't have much gear.

For the sol got to the hatchery launch and fish the pump station. Spoons or jigs I got a couple hit on corky and yarn but nothing stuck.

I might be fishing that area as well this weekend not sure. Still trying to figure out where the wife and I are heading out camping Thursday.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsmith78
Petty Officer

Post by jsmith78 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:03 am

Thanks guys. When plunking on the Q, what bait would be best eggs, prawns or sand shrimp? How long of a drive is it to the callawah hatchery hole? We will try a little bit of this and that and see what happens.

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:18 am

Where are you driving from? For me and Scott we live in he bremerton area and it takes us almost 2.5 hours to get to Forks. As far as bait just try it all, you never know what is going to work on any given day. If you use eggs, makes sure they're cured up nice and right, there is a recent thread on here on how to do it. Also don't forget to try a 50/50 spoon now and again. And like Scott said clear bobbers. Have fun! That area is very beautiful and fun to fish.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:27 am

Don't just stick to a 50/50 throw out a silver or gold as well. Eggs and sand shrimp work great for plunking. That is going to be your best bet. From Port Orchard it will be 2.5 to three hours depending on your driving habits. If you plan on fishing the cal hatchery hole i would try down stream a little. We didn't make down form the hatchery really. You will end up parking at the Boggie hatchery then walking up the dirt road. When you get to a Y in the road right takes to the hatchery and left takes you??????? We didn't take the time to find out. I would imagine it would take you a little farther down stream.