Fish Lake

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Fish Lake

Post by soulfishhawk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:27 am

Well, we're hitting Fish Lake out by Leavanworth next weekend. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and they do rent boats at the cove. So, if anyone has any tips on good spots, etc. please let me know.
I have a bunch of wedding rings, I'll probably try them out tipped w/a little worm. I think the kids will do the bobber thing, maybe fish from bottom w/some powerbait. Anyone who has fished this lake and has some tips please let me know. Thanks

Gringo Pescador

RE:Fish Lake

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:13 am

If you are fishing from the dock, don't put your catch on a stringer - there is (or used to be) a resident otter that'll snatch em like picking fruit!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Post by soulfishhawk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:07 am

wow, 138 views and no tips:compress:
Oh well, we'll figure it out, I've heard nothing but good things about Fish Lk. We'll be out in the boat, so I'll be trying some trolling, that should be "interesting"#-o

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:01 am

Haven't been there in a couple years. Just ask em at the cove, they will help you out.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:25 am

Can't give ya tips if I haven't been there since Sept. 1978. #-o lol Lakes change now and then. :fish:
Tom.

Interests: living

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:29 am

last time i was there there was alot of grass and stuff on the surface to get hung up on. catching was pretty good, but there were alot of people. wedding rings worked well for us...
fishing may not be life, but it's a great alternative

soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Post by soulfishhawk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:13 am

Yeah, I'll try wedding rings tipped w/a little worm and see how that goes. Maybe even just anchor down and fish off bottom, maybe try some bobber etc. With a bunch of us going, we can pretty much try it all. I'm sure the people at the Cove will know the current scoop too. I need some redemption after my trip to Sylvia#-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:59 am

Soulfish, Just go to the fishlake reports,, copy and paste everything that people are saying, and take it with you. Have fun.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Post by soulfishhawk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:20 am

I always do bro:cheers:

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:08 am

Head out of the cove hang a louie about 100 yards off shore... Bottom fish with two hooks one sherbert power bait and one with a worm, you will catch perch and trout.. Bobber action works too. Trolling with wedding rings, rooster tails all work. The fish are everywhere. The kids will have a blast. There was 8 of us the first part of june, we rented a party barge from the cove and caught 38 trout and 6 perch in 4 hours.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:36 am

like sellis said go out of the cove but hang a left and fish in there. or troll slip sinker 3/8oz if is wind use any color of power bait and let the wind blow u in to the pads then motor back up to the point and repeat.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Post by soulfishhawk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:36 am

Excellent, thanks for the tips guys, off to the left it is. With a bunch of us going, it should be fun. Most of the kids like doing the bobber thing, the rest of us usually just fish off bottom w/powerbait. But, I'm gonna' try to do some trolling w/wedding rings for sure. 38 trout?? holy crap:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:54 am

i haven been there since last 2 years I believe for ice fishing but fished there several years ago and wedding rings with nightcrawlers worked well.... troll of what I believe is that the South shoreline. anywhere from 10-30 feet deep. and there are rumored bass there... and great descent sizeable german brown trout.
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:23 am

Last time I was there was in 2001. I trolled a small flatfish with a 1.5 oz banana weight. Caught some trout and then some panfish.It wasnt the most thrilling lake to fish IMO.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Post by soulfishhawk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:24 am

Well, I can honestly say this is the best lake I've ever fished. We started just fishing from the dock on thursday afternoon, and it was probably pushing 90 deg. We were on the front left corner and casting out maybe 50-60 feet, and had a bite or a fish on every single cast, no joke. It got to be funny. We took the pontoon out a few times, went to the opposite side, to the left, and just anchored maybe 100 yards from shore and slowly drifted. Everyone was catching consistently the entire weekend. The guy at the store said they stocked 60K in there, wow.
I believe it, pretty much everyone who came in had a pile of fish. We kept 8 the first day, 17 the 2nd day and another 17 the 3rd day. Ate a ton of trout, sent some home w/the family etc. The kids had a real nice hog that just got off before we got the net in the water, I'd say maybe 4lb or so. It was a great trip, thanks for the tips. A couple kids who looked maybe 10 both caught 4+ Lb. trout and were taking some pics.
Also, the campsite was real clean, the staff there is very nice and the prices in the store are surprisingly low.

Definetely heading back there next year.