Trolling Gear

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
B-Hall
Petty Officer

Trolling Gear

Post by B-Hall » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Hey guys,

I just wanted to see what everyone runs for their downrigger trolling gear. What type of main line to you use lb. test, brand, braided or mono, rods, reels the works.

curado
Admiral

RE:Trolling Gear

Post by curado » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:49 pm

reels u cant go wrong with the abu big game, and classic glass 9ft rod, 25lbs main suffix seige or maxima
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

B-Hall
Petty Officer

Post by B-Hall » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:12 pm

Do any of you guys use braided as a backing and connect to mono mainline?

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by wintersteelhead » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:20 am

20 pound maxima ultragreen (no backing!!!) attached to a #3 Sampo snap swivel. There are no substitutes for the Sampo swivels, IMO. 11" or 8" pro-troll or hot-spot flashers. I'm a spoon guy, and usually fish a 3.5 coyote or a coho killer for all salmon. I use 30 pound ultragreen for my leader material 42" long.

DoubleR
Petty Officer

Post by DoubleR » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:23 am

Lami Classic Glass rod, Shimano Tekota linecounter reel(very smooth drag), 30# Power Pro (watch your knots on braid), golf tee style bead, Sampo swivel, 11" green glow flasher, 25# ultragreen leader (40-50# for spatter green squid skirts or ace hi flys), brads cut plug (add 6 bead swivel to front of leader) /coho killer/3.5" spoon. If you have trouble with the downrigger clip releasing with braid as main line, make sure the clip is adjusted to tightest setting or stick a piece of paper towel in the jaws there.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:46 am

I like the Penn 310 GTi reel, it's sturdy, resists the abuse that slat water throws at it and won't set you back a ton of cash. I have 35lb Tufline spooled on it, with a few yards of mono backing, and use it for both kings and silvers. There are a bunch of good reels out there, just depends on what you want to spend. I like the braid as it is thinner, transmits all of the lure's and fish's action to the rod and you can spool a ton of line onto it. For silvers and Puget Sound blackmouth fishing I use the Uglystick 9' light downrigger rod as it is an absolute blast to fight a fish on this rod and flexes enough to take the shock that the mono line typically would. For kings I go to something a bit heavier like my Fenwick FS89 or my Daiwa Heartland 8.5' medium power downrigger rod. If you fish by yourself, use a shorter rod, as it can be a bear trying to net a fish alone when it is at the end of a 10.5 footer. With braid there is the potential for lost fish as it does not give and to help keep steady tension on the fish you can use a rubber snubber in front of your flasher/gear. If you go with braid and forgo the snubber, it is imperative that you have a good rod with ample flex and that you keep steady pressure on the fish at all times. Kings are easier as they provide a nice steady pull with few runs away from the boat thrown in for good measure. It is the silvers that are experts at shaking a barbless hook, with all of their acrobatics and crazy runs at and away from the boat, they will test your skills.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:18 am

I am going with my river fishing set up. A shimano cardif and an 8.5' St. Croix. I would go with 20# mono but since I am using my river set up I dont want to switch out my line every time I switch from river to salt (20# is too heavy for casting IMO) so it looks like 30# Power Pro will be my choice. Then for leader a 17# -20# fluorocarbon leader (whichever I find cheaper on Ebay) for spoons and the like and a 50#-60# flouro leader for ace/hoochies.

Scotty manuals spooled with 150# 300' braided cable with 10# balls should do the trick.

According to all the reports I have gathered 11" green flashers are the ticket. Either Pro-Troll or Hot Spot and any type with some sort of green. 4" Gold Star Hoochies in Purple Haze or Green Spatter Back. As well as the Ace Hi Flys in the same colors. Coyote Spoons (3.5"-5") in Cop Car, Army Truck, or green colors. Coho Killer in Cop Car or White Lighting. Some other colors I have been hearing a lot about is Irish Cream and Cookies and Cream. Brads cut plug and good old fashioned cut plug are also taking fish.

But no experience points with any info posted above. I started a tally a few months ago for lures, and color as well as flashers and scent. Pulling info off 4 forums, and other sites of that nature. I will update my post once I get some real hands info.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:40 am

I use a few different reels for salt.
I love my penn 321 LH GT good for kings or halibut. Spooled with 40lb cajun red.
This is another reel Ive often used the abu garcia ambassador 7000i c3 great reel. was spoooled with lead core for the lakes, but now has power pro
I also own takota 300 never used it yet and the 500 LC very nice reels line counter great for hanging bait in the top 20 feet of water.

Ive a few rods for different situations too.
2 daiwa coastal ss1102mhrb 11' I got them because some for my mates didnt have rods and this was the best bang for buck to get them geared up.
1 Lamiglas G1000 Salmon Moocher love this rod used it on the big C and sound goes great with the takota 500 LC
1 Lamiglas 9' classic glass this is a fab rodgreat backbone and a lovely curve on the downrigger.

I prefer long rods to take up the slack.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone