Elliott Bay Chinook

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

Elliott Bay Chinook

Post by Bro-Rando » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm heading out after some kings in Elliott Bay this weekend for the first time. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any pointers or wise words. As I keep my boat not a mile upstream from Todd Pacific I'm looking forward to easy access and being able to hit the water very early in the AM.

Anyone make it out last weekend??? I heard it was a fairly strong start.
Certainty is for those who have learned and believed only one truth...

fishingmachine
Admiral

RE:Elliott Bay Chinook

Post by fishingmachine » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:35 pm

i have had my best luck from the don armeni ramp troll south past saltys and the waterways
I had luck on hoochies at 45 and 55 feet down in 120 fow
I like to fish 90 to 150 fow
spoons work well in white lighting and so does plug cuts

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by wintersteelhead » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:25 am

couple things, If your not at the launch at 3am, you will be waiting for a while. Traditionaly, way early morning fishery 3-6am. Theese are tips that have been shared with me from several old timers and have contributed to some success.

Early in morning(while still dark) work in a north-south direction under the lights of the cranes on Alaskan way, from mouth of Duwamish to the ferry terminal.

As it starts to get light, take your pick, Mooching west waterway next to Todd Shipyard or 2 different trolling paths. From west end of the west waterway to the fueling depot for the tugs and ferrys (basicly infront of Todd Shipyard), or from Duwamish head south to saltys. Don't waste your time trying to troll from satltys to the waterway, long way and not highly productive.

Don't be afraid to fish deep (up to 175-200ft) especially if there is alot of sun and boat/ship traffic

Thats what the old dudes have taught me, now my personal input. I have two go-to outfits. In morning, I like a green/glow flasher with a double glow hoochie 42". I will head pin a fire cracker herring to that. In the evening, I will use the same flasher but then use an army truck coho killer 42".

Hope that helps

Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

Post by Bro-Rando » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:50 am

Thanks for the great info! Lucky for me my boat is already in the water at the Jim Clark Marina on harbor island, so not launch line:compress:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:59 am

Want an early morning king? Fish in front of Saltys restaurant.Fish near surface until the sun pokes through then deep after sun comes up.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:16 am

So who hit it this weekend and howd you do?
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:45 am

There is only one way in Elliot Bay. Find the bait and stay on it. Start before light.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

Post by Bro-Rando » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Fished Saturday morning 4:15-7:00 and evening 8:00-9:45 and got the big old skunk. In the morning there were alot of boats out, but only saw one hookup the whole time. Looked like a blackmouth and he lost it at the boat....

Try again next weekend I suppose.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Bro-Rando wrote:Fished Saturday morning 4:15-7:00 and evening 8:00-9:45 and got the big old skunk. In the morning there were alot of boats out, but only saw one hookup the whole time. Looked like a blackmouth and he lost it at the boat....

Try again next weekend I suppose.
I am planning on hitting it Friday morning. Hopefully things will work out for me. If not, 9 opens and the oil docks were very promising last season.

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by wintersteelhead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:45 am

If I were you Matt, I would hit the oil docks. I saw a blog where all weekend only 2-3 kings and a handfull of blackmouth in E-BAY for over 300 boats. E-BAY usually gets going twords the end of the month. I'm making the haul to Port Townsend for the opener.:bounce:

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:37 am

Give it another week guys the nookie will start improving.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:08 am

wintersteelhead wrote:If I were you Matt, I would hit the oil docks. I saw a blog where all weekend only 2-3 kings and a handfull of blackmouth in E-BAY for over 300 boats. E-BAY usually gets going twords the end of the month. I'm making the haul to Port Townsend for the opener.:bounce:

Hmm, that might b a good plan since those fish haven't seen the pressure Ebay has gotten already.... Decision time, hehe.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:30 am

Will Salmon hit a 6" curly tail grub in the sound? Or should jigging be kept to Pt Wilsons?
Lee

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:14 pm

I will concur with fishing in front of Saltys working south. Here's an article from a few years ago, it's field test article so forgive the product plugging (which is a good product, BTW)

Elliot Bay Kings

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:59 pm

set the riggers for 85 and 95 in 120 ft of water. fresh herring and purple haze hoochies. i have been out in area 9 prefished it and 7 hook ups 6 fish to the boat.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:58 pm

curado wrote:set the riggers for 85 and 95 in 120 ft of water. fresh herring and purple haze hoochies. i have been out in area 9 prefished it and 7 hook ups 6 fish to the boat.
Considering its been closed since April you shouldn't have been fishing it... :-"

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:06 pm

we were right on the line inbetween area 10 and 9. the game warden we talkto siad we werent in the wrong.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

Post by Bro-Rando » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:36 pm

Planning to hit the Bay on Friday morning. Any other spots to hit close by for the Area 10 opener if things are slow? What about for coho?

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Bro-Rando wrote:Planning to hit the Bay on Friday morning. Any other spots to hit close by for the Area 10 opener if things are slow? What about for coho?

Area 9 opens on Friday and has not been fished recreationally since April. I would suggest checking out a few areas up that way. Bait box, Pt. No Pt., and Oil Docks may all be good bets to name a few. Most areas holding kings should also have resi coho lingering around (find the bait, find the fish), although they are generally found a bit shallower. At this point I would say it is way early to be seeing any migratory silvers.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.