So many different power baits

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
fishunt83
Warrant Officer

So many different power baits

Post by fishunt83 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:17 am

I have about 15-20 different types of power baits and cant find one that will work for me. Does anybody have any suggestions. Im fishing for trout.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

iPodrodder
Commodore

RE:So many different power baits

Post by iPodrodder » Thu May 03, 2007 11:20 am

I fish with a brand called power eggs, and they have been the magic bullet for me. Try yellow, chartruese, orange or pink. But most of all I would recommend yellow.

julbright
Angler

Post by julbright » Thu May 03, 2007 12:48 pm

I couple a power egg (any color) with a bit of worm and fish off the bottom. The egg floats the worm off the bottom and is more durable than a marshmellow. The worm is there for some protien. Trout love it.

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Thu May 03, 2007 1:48 pm

I tried a worm with a marshmellow and it didnt do me any good. Usually I can get a little bit out of that but nothing so far.

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Thu May 03, 2007 6:27 pm

Here's a suggestion.....throw away all that doggone power bait and get yourself a fly rod and a dozen olive woolly buggers! This is the Pacific Northwest! You are now equipped to catch dozens of trout in any stream, river or stillwater fishery in Washington! Just kidding, because then you'd be really stumped when selecting fly patterns! I keep a jar or two around for those rare instances when my boys, ages 9 and 11, put down their Nintendos and video games and actually go outside. We go with rainbow power bait. It must work, for even these knuckleheads are catching fish. P.S. - when ice fishing we use Pautzke salmon eggs, E. Washington fish love them.

cole steffens
Petty Officer

Post by cole steffens » Thu May 03, 2007 8:01 pm

if im fishing a lake i know was just planted i like to use the brown powerbait you know the stuffthey make to mimic the stuff they feed them in the hatchery other than that rainbow is my go to color
if we are good to are lakes and streams they will be good to us

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Thu May 03, 2007 11:35 pm

fishunt83 wrote:I have about 15-20 different types of power baits and cant find one that will work for me. Does anybody have any suggestions. Im fishing for trout.
Powerbait is pretty fullproof any color should work. Are there other people catching fish at your lake? Maybe you are just fishing the wrong spot. Maybe your rig is tied wrong?

My rig looks like this

Pole-----1/2 once barrel weight , small red bead , swivel,-----3' to 6' leader-----size 8 or 10 salmon egg hook

the barrel and bead slide free above the swivel

use just enough powerbait rolled into a ball to cover the hook
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:47 am

I carry the standard Powerbait and the Power eggs:
Powerbait colors I have in my tacklebox:
Rainbow
Orange
Pink/Red
Chartreuse

Power Egg Colors:
Pink
White
Chartreuse

That's all I really need. I think they make all those different crazy color combinations to trick you into buying the new colors. I don't think you need more then the basic colors and what not....you don't need to clutter everything up with all the colors...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Fri May 04, 2007 9:36 am

Well a lot of my power bait I bought because they were really cheap...like $.99 at the time so I picked up a bunch. I have been using rainbow and chartues or how ever you spell it. I am going to try a totally different lake this time so we will see. Thanks guys

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Fri May 04, 2007 7:54 pm

I have only been fishing for two years, but have never in my life caught a fish using powerbait. I am unsure why this is, but I do not believe in it at all.

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Sat May 05, 2007 10:23 am

I've been an exclusive powerbait user for the last 10 years or so. Trout plants just eat it up. I recently started using spray scent (like Yum or the like) to cover up my scent and that really, really helped. If you havent had luck with powerbait, maybe you are getting too much other scent mixing in it (like sunscreen, sweat, beer, coffee, etc).

I am currently looking to stock up a little on powerbait (or generics), so if anyone knows where it's on sale I'd appreciate some pointers.

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:32 am

I am in complete aggreance on the use of power eggs. I always hated powerbait, because it never stayed on the hook for me. Power eggs are a miracle. I've been fishing with them for a year now, and have caught many beautiful trout with them. They stay on the hook because they have a very hard rubbary texture. They will honestly stay on for hours, even if you are catching fish. Although, I usually change them after a catch a fish. It's nice to know that when you are using them, you can be confident that the fish hasn't "stolen your bait" or the bait has not "fallen off the hook." I've had great luck with the flourescent pink, but have also had luck with the chartreuse as well. Also, as in true powerbait style, they have a scent that drive the trout nuts. Just put about three of them onto a number 6 or 8 hook, with about a foot to two feet of liter, and you are set for a nice trout. The power eggs are boyant and will float up the length of your liter, thus bringing it above the weedline, so that the fish can see it better. Good Luck!

Joe
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat May 05, 2007 1:49 pm

I have had the greatest success with Rainbow, Pink (light pink, not the firey red they sell), and Flo. Orange. These have always been my goto colors. I have found that glittery colors dont work, so avoid them.

Personally, I have ditched powerbait this season. I don't even carry it in my tackle as a "goto" anymore, if I'm not catching them on a lure or fly I will just keep switchin it up until I can find SOMETHING in the box that'll do the trick. So far, I've been far outfishing the bait plunkers on the banks of Padden and Toad lake, plenty of fish daily and catch and release is always a possiblity (unlike bait).

Tight lines,

Matt
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 05, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sun May 06, 2007 6:36 pm

I am a huge fan of the power eggs and I found that when you put 3 on a hook in a row that works pretty well. The other trick is a 7'-8' with a size 16 egg hook with a single egg works well too. It last forever, dosnt fly off the hook and you can catch 4 or 5 fish on any one before you have to swicht. Im not a huge fan of the eagle claw nitro but I love the berkly poerbait

Jimmy Jimsoks
Petty Officer

Post by Jimmy Jimsoks » Sun May 06, 2007 8:54 pm

Dude, its all about the power eggs. They last much longer too and are more reliable... They never fail!
-Jimmy

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Mon May 07, 2007 3:50 pm

beerman1981 wrote:Although, I usually change them after a catch a fish.
I would leave the power eggs on, because the fish usually swallow them. When they swallow, the eggs cover with blood. This blood is a great scent add-on! Trust me. I have had a lot of experience with it.

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Mon May 07, 2007 6:17 pm

I have not used power eggs ever. Been thinking about trying it. I have been getting my luck now off green, pink (with glitter) and rainbow power bait. Along with the usual worm and marshmellow

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Mon May 07, 2007 7:30 pm

iPodrodder wrote:
beerman1981 wrote:Although, I usually change them after a catch a fish.
I would leave the power eggs on, because the fish usually swallow them. When they swallow, the eggs cover with blood. This blood is a great scent add-on! Trust me. I have had a lot of experience with it.
Hmmmm, good idea, I never thought of it that way, I'll have to try that next time, thanks!
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 08, 2007 8:26 pm

A trick that I use is to buy a jar of white powerbait Ive never actually used white but as soon as you get into the small towns they charge 6$ a jar and thats WAY to expensive for me. When the bites on the bites on and its nothing to go through a jar of powerbait so you get white and mix with say spring green and you get chartrues, or fl. red and white you get pink. Its not the exact same color compared side by side but its close enough and it works

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Wed May 09, 2007 12:06 am

How heavy of a weight does everyone use when using the power eggs? I have never been able to catch anything this way. Maybe I am not feeling the bite?