Fly Fishing for Pinks

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Floater
Petty Officer

Fly Fishing for Pinks

Post by The Floater » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:59 am

I have heard of guys fly fishing for Pinks in the sound before they enter the river. Anybody know about this, or tacticts, flys, depths, etc? Im gonna be in 8-2, and if this is not a complete waste of time, I would like to give it a swing. Any info is great.

Drewp
Commander

RE:Fly Fishing for Pinks

Post by Drewp » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:30 pm

As far as I know, this is mostly done from the beach - though I guess if you could get into a school on top out in open water you could probably do it from a boat. Picnic Point Beach in between Edmonds and Mukilteo is a popular spot for this because there is a river (more like a creek, I think it's call Big Gulch) that flows out right there that they spawn in, so there are fairly consistent numbers near the beach. Just like the lures you'd want use, anything pink with a sporadic strip will entice a bite. Waders are definitely helpful because it stays pretty shallow and often times there is a lot kelp and seaweed right on the shore. Oh, adding scent is a good idea as well. And don't be surprised if you accidentally get into a sea-run cutty.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:54 pm

picnic point is popular (area 9 though). i got one there this morning on a buzz bomb, easier fly fishing though (if you have waders).

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

Post by GJorgy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:53 pm

Guys go crazy at Kayak Point flyfishing for the Humpies out there. I've seen guys fishing from the beach, from rowboats, pontoon boats and even a couple of diehards in belly boats. If you anchor and let the schools come to you out there you can have great success. I've caught them on my 7-8 weight throwing a sinking line and a big ugly pink streamer. You don't have to be subtle with these fish, they don't seem to care what the fly looks like as long as it's pink.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."